Hair transpants in New York

Huw

Hello all, I'm in New York, and am looking into hair transplants as my hair is thinning on top. Given the state of things, and my finances, I'm not keen to travel for a transplant. I've looked on Yelp for reviews but imagine those can't be trusted. (I'm also unsure of my options for treatment, so getting good advice is a factor!) So far Bernstein Medical seems like the most trustworthy place. Does anyone have strong feelings about a particular practice?

Thanks!

Have you checked out the 'Find a Prescreened Physician' section up above on the webpage?   Any of those pre-screened Docs will give you an industry standard job - but finding a physician 'near you' should be the last consideration.  You are making a lifetime commitment to your most precious resource - your head.  Consider looking up and down the Eastern Seaboard and Go West, young man.  You need a wide array of choices to choose from.  There are some excellent choices - but as for advice, at this point all we know is that you are thinning on top - (that's a large area...) and not keen to travel.  Take some pics and post them here - you'll get a lot of comments AND advice on what you probably need and how best to achieve it from the Pros here!  

You'll get some bonehead replies also...

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Thanks lots for taking the time to reply. I will post pictures shortly when I've better light, but essentially it's the entirety of my scalp that's thinning, plus some recession at the front. I'm willing to travel the Eastern Seaboard, of course--I suppose I just imagined it'd surely be possible to find a good person here in NY. I did indeed check the Prescreened Physician listing for NY, which recommends Bernstein, Dorin, True, Wesley and Bloxham, all names I've seen around.

If anyone has advice on likely price ranges I'd welcome that also. And apologies if my questions are crazily broad, it's a hard topic to negotiate....

The photos would be HUGE.  Particularly when we have no clue how much native hair you have.  There is a certainty though, if you've shown the propensity lose, this will continue. The second and perhaps most important fact, the donor is limited. There is just so much before we run out of grafts.

So you have a hair transplant and you go on to lose more native hair.  This will leave you with a diffused look throughout. Typically the look is that of someone who is sick. Let me give you another example.  The patient is concerned with the crown and puts all available grafts in that area.  5 years later he loses the front and now has no grafts to work with.  It is imperative, if you care about hair, you go on some type of medical therapy to help you retain as much as you can.  

Propecia, Rogaine, Laser and PRP are the modalities we refer to when dealing with this condition.  I would encourage you to visit with a doctor and discuss them.

Here's a pic. It's across the scalp. What do you mean about running out of grafts? Is it definitely the case that continued hair loss will eclipse the benefits of a graft, so that the best moment for a graft would actually be when hair loss is complete? 

h.png

As to drugs: I admit I simply don't know what to make of the information out there--the negative effects of finasteride on libido, claims that Rogaine doesn't work or doesn't work on my kind of thinning....

12 hours ago, Huw said:

As to drugs: I admit I simply don't know what to make of the information out there--the negative effects of finasteride on libido, claims that Rogaine doesn't work or doesn't work on my kind of thinning....

Like has been said, finasteride and rogaine work for alot of people (more in the middle/crown areas), especially if you are considering something as dramatic as hair transplants to address your loss. While the sexual side effect is a real thing for a small minority of guys, even in those cases some of these guys are psyching themselves out knowing that its a possible side effect and being stressed out about their hair loss.

If you are well into your middle years and your loss has not progressed further for years, you may be able to get away with just doing 1 or 2 procedures and not worry about taking the meds. But they can be very instrumental in preserving your donor area by minimizing the number of hair transplants you'll ultimately have to get to acheive your goals.

Minoxidil (rogaine) is more of pain because you topically apply it, foam or liquid, foam definitely better. Finasteride is just popping a pill once a day, easy peezy -and don't worry about the potential sexual side effects so much you actually give yourself sexual side effects! lol

Edited by ciaus

On 7/29/2020 at 7:16 PM, Huw said:

Bernstein, Dorin, True, Wesley and Bloxham, all names I've seen around.

Those are all top tier doctors. You have some great choices in NYC for sure. Personally, I've narrowed my choice for my own HT surgeon down to Dr. Bloxham and one other. Dr. Bloxham is young, but his talent is astronomical. Every result I've seen from him is better than the last (case in point, his latest published video [at only 6 months!])

As for pricing, Dr. Bloxham is very transparent, which is a breath of fresh air (https://fellermedical.com/hair-transplant/costs/). As for surgeons in NYC, aside from Dr. Bloxham I've only had a consultation with Dr. Wesley, who is also excellent. I think his level of patient attention and thoroughness exceeds even Dr. Bloxham, though at a result level they are about equal. I don't have a full pricing schedule for him, but his costs are definitely higher, and not by a tiny margin.

Edited by ADuckwithNoHair

Thanks, Caius, for your take on medication. My hair loss has happened over a fairly short span, within the past three years basically (I'm 46 now), so it's likely to continue at a swift pace. Isn't Rogaine more or less only for hair loss at the crown (which I don't have)?

And thanks, ADuckwithNoHair, for your thoughts on doctors. What did a consult with Dr Bloxham cost? I don't see a price on the site. What kind of procedure are you aiming for?

Anyone else have any takes on NY doctors or nearby?

Dr. Bloxham used to be a Superstar 'Civilian' Contributor to this website with 1000's of posts and replies.   He flat out knows what concerns, expectations, aspirations, and questions prospective clients have.  I'd have him do my HT in a minute if I was in the market for another. 

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

@Huw in 2008 when I was chosing a doctors I had it narrowed down to Dr. Rahal or Dr. Feller and at that time the elite was these two plus Shapiro and H&W.

Today I see that Dr. Feller and Dr. Bloxham are still the best choice in NY but prices changed dramaticly as I paid around 2US/graft in 2008 for my FUT with Rahal and I see that Dr. Bloxham charges 10US/graft for FUE

If you are set in the US and can afford this then Bloxham is the way to go but if you can catch a direct 6h flight to Porto then I advise you to look up Dr. Bruno Ferreira because he`s getting truly amazing results at 2.5€/graft and he works also in Madrid at Dr. Lorenzo clinic (one of the best FUE Docs in the world) but at this clinic you pay a bit more.

Wish you all the best with your journey to a full head of hair.

Ah, thanks so much for this, hugely appreciated. I suppose part of my concern about going to someone in NY is for follow-up. Can I ask what your experience was with your FUT? Has it held?!? 

Again, greatly appreciated.

• Administrators

Check out our recommendations in the link below, all of our recommendations are thoroughly vetted, and out community votes them in based on their results and ethics. 

Dr. Bloxham is one of them, but you should take a look at Dr. Wesley, True and Dorin as well. If you want a graft estimate and quote, you can use our link to send each of them consultation requests. 

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/surgeon-list/NY/New-York

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.