FUE Experience w/Dr. Diep MHTA Clinic

8 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I would appreciate it if you word your response as you have done now. Do you see the difference between what you wrote now, to what you wrote previously?

However, the fact of the matter is that Jim is nowhere near done, he is barely at 3 months. So far his results look really good, better than I’d say 80% of patients at 3 months. This thread lacks objectivity, it’s clouded by personal biases.

I try very hard not to include any personal bias, contrary to what many believe. I am objective, and that’s  why I’m personally involved in helping patients, I’ve done so multiple times for just about every surgeon. 

Objectively speaking Jim looks like he’s headed for an above average result. However, I’m cognizant of the grievances he has, and that is me being objective. Some of the concerns about aftercare or office communication is valid, no one can tell him otherwise. But we also cannot objectively call his result a failure at 3 months.

Anyway, I have to make this distinction, because it’s a dangerous point of view if we start telling patients that their results are failures at 3 months. 

Thanks Melvin. I do see the difference. 

I'm going to take a step back now so as not to hijack Jim's thread.

• Thanks 1

BTW, after getting over the initial shock of the the procedure around the 6th day, I've stated that I like my early results. I still do. No doubt I'll look good at the end of all of this. But it is also possible for me to be critical of what I see. If you recall, @Melvin-Moderator, I stated very early on in this thread, its not the criticism that matters, it is what one does with the criticism that does. So let's hope Dr. Diep does hear these concerns. Because when it comes to criticism, there are only two things that one can do:

1. Prove them right, or
  2. Prove them wrong

It is also well within my privilege to be appalled when a fellow hair loss sufferer goes to the same surgeon I went to for an 800 graft procedure, then has >1,400 units excised from his scalp. Over 45% of follicular excised units inexplicably lost. And to a lesser extreme, be similarly appalled to see baby doll grafts implanted into a hairline in 2020. Or when a patient pays the premium for a FUE procedure so they can have less visible scarring allowing for the flexibility of wearing shorter hairstyles to see all +1,000 excisions performed on too small of an area, defeating the purpose of paying the premium for FUE in the first place.

There is no other group of members on this forum that are more aware of the great results that Dr. Diep produces than actual patients of Dr. Diep. Including me. I/we would have never sought surgical hair restoration with Dr. Diep in the first place had we not been aware of those great results. We aren't dismissive of those results, we are dealing with the odd peculiarities. Like the primary goal of all surgical hair restoration is universally lauded as naturalness. A listing of 7 rules for naturalness and density is quite plainly indoctrinated on MHTA's website. The 7th rule being:

"Random hair placement: In nature, hair grows randomly, no specific rows or groups of hair. The more random the hair placement, the more natural it will appear."

Yet it is an odd wonder that we all have grafts implanted in rows on our scalps. Defeating that rule entirely and the primary goal of surgical  hair restoration.

Anyways, Diep "Haters" (I suppose I am lumped into this side of the fence) and Diep "Riders" can do this all day. But we have more important things to do on this particular day. So get your asses out and vote!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I am objective, and that’s  why I’m personally involved in helping patients, I’ve done so multiple times for just about every surgeon.

Your a good dude @Melvin-Moderator and you have a great head of hair now! Kudos to Dr Diep on your work!

While we are on this specific subject, would you mind updating us on the status of this patient? Many of us have some real concerns in this regard.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, jimcraig152 said:

Your a good dude @Melvin-Moderator and you have a great head of hair now! Kudos to Dr Diep on your work!

While we are on this specific subject, would you mind updating us on the status of this patient? Many of us have some real concerns in this regard.

I have not heard anything from this patient since August when he deleted all of his pictures and asked me to take down his thread. I agree go out and vote! We need to preserve the right to free speech, one of the reasons I take great offense to people accusing me of censorship. Free speech is absolutely vital, we cannot have echo chambers, it’s dangerous to have only one point of view. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

This post has been reported by a longtime member, I’ve stayed away from this thread because the Diep witch hunters automatically scream bias if I even respond, but others in the community are starting to take notice. It’s beginning to be ridiculous, every post is about Diep. Diep has over a dozen happy patients on this forum with excellent results, including me. 

Ha! I never understand why you get shade on here. IMO this forum is very pro free speech which makes it an amazing place to learn and research. I've said dumb shit on here before and never felt censored by any stretch of the imagination.

You got a great result from Diep, as did many other people, and that deserves to be communicated. Some people get less desirable results, with Diep or with other recommended docs, and that also gets communicated.

Ultimately it's up to the researcher to decide for themself.

10 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Below is a list to research and if you want my experience I’m willing to share as well, I can also share a photo of my best friend who had surgery last July.

@E39 @JBlonde @hairvanity @m0dthispny @Kpat131 @FUEblonde1985 @bondi @baldlivesmatter @shookwon33 @SWdan @spyk777 @jkm3 @Skyb

Responding on this because i was tagged--I would say my procedures was overall a success. 

Granted I'm looking into FUE options to touch up the donor, but compared to my before pic my hair is MUCH better. Obviously the donor issue is a negative, but it's possible that I might not have gotten good results had a smaller punch been used on the donor.

Given my situation going into the op I took the gamble of a more aggressive surgeon like Dr. Diep. Whether that paid off or not is subjective, but I'm currently looking at a situation of either 500 ish FUE grafts to fix a fairly minor issue or, as some have suggested, just leave it. Overall not a terrible position to be in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimcraig152 said:

But we have more important things to do on this particular day. So get your asses out and vote!

Regardless of who wins we'll have a president with hair plugs.

We've finally been accepted into the mainstream boys.

God Bless America 

• Haha 3

On 11/3/2020 at 9:13 AM, Skyb said:

I just had a consultation literally yesterday with Dr Diep and he is by far the nicest and most professional physician I’ve ever Spoke with.  I have first hand experience with him and his staff and like Melvin states “ he changed my life” I also know plenty of patients who had excellent results recently. How many examples does he have showing his work on a weekly basis. Patients need to understand that you can’t base your results after just a few months. Dr Diep is considered world class in my opinion 

I don't believe I've ever taken my criticism of Dr. Diep down the ad hominem path. You can correct me if you feel otherwise. My critiques of Dr. Diep have been directed towards the application of his techniques, the reasonings he provides for his methods, the compromises he takes/his MO, and the operation of his clinic.

As for your results. I think they are great, world class even. But I would not categorize Dr. Diep as world class. Consistency is a hallmark of any critical measure of review. And there are way too many inconsistencies with Dr. Diep's work to qualify him as a world class hair transplant surgeon. EDIT:  Though, I respect your opinion.

Edited by jimcraig152

Hey @baldlivesmatter,

Thanks for stopping by. In the 3 months since I have been on this forum, I have seen all the great results from Dr. Diep. Those results are at least a year old. And if you participate frequently on any internet forum, you know it is bad "netiquette" to bump an old thread. That is why I haven't commented on those old threads, not that I am being dismissive.

I think your hair looks great. I acknowledged that in this very thread back in this post, BTW. As for my results, no doubt I will look good at the end of my journey. No doubt even as I pragmatically assess my current progress, I look good now. However, it is very easy for hair loss sufferers to be pragmatic in affirming their results. Simply because, where we were once bald, we now have hair! So we have to be ecstatic, yeah? #cartwheels.

The problem with approaching assessments pragmatically is to be dismissive of any/all inherent shortcomings. True, no hair transplant is perfect. But the shortcomings are clearly as a result of compromises that could have been avoided and cannot simply be dismissed. Let's call the identification of these repeated shortcomings for what they truly are:

Compromises employed by Dr. Diep at the expense of diminished aesthetic results that the patient is seeking in surgical hair restoration.

These compromises allow Dr. Diep to save his time during any given day. That time saved then is leveraged to maximize his revenue stream through increased volume of patient procedures performed per day (2 full procedures per day) and increased pre-consultations arranged per day (effectively, $1000 per pre-consultation).

In these discussions, I am reminded of having recently watched a WWII documentary. The theme explored in the documentary was this:

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

As a brother in the struggle, I am happy for you and the results you've attained. However, these baby doll grafts were delivered by Dr. Diep as a result of compromise. This unnatural hairline was delivered by Dr. Diep as a result of compromise.  The decreased flexibility for a FUE patient (like yourself) to wear shorter hair styles is a result of compromise. Dismissing these things gives Dr. Diep a pass, allowing these shortcomings to be applied on fellow hair loss sufferers to follow. Dismissing the criticisms, turning the other cheek, is all that it takes for these shortcomings to continue to exist.

Edited by jimcraig152
  • Like 3

Urgh this thread is a handful. I am VERY afraid of the baby-doll hairs and scarred donor, but also Dr. Diep had pretty good results in the past and looks like he produces a huge yield consistently so it's very hard to say, clearly there were some bad results recently. I am following very closely.

Who else should I look at? I am ok with losing the $1000. Hasson&Wong? Who has consistent results/good donor and natural hairline?

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides

HT With Dr. Konior December 2020: https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/anotherhairlossdude/4442

9 minutes ago, anotherhairlosssufferer said:

Urgh this thread is a handful. I am VERY afraid of the baby-doll hairs and scarred donor, but also Dr. Diep had pretty good results in the past and looks like he produces a huge yield consistently so it's very hard to say, clearly there were some bad results recently. I am following very closely.

Who else should I look at? I am ok with losing the $1000. Hasson&Wong? Who has consistent results/good donor and natural hairline?

Konior if you have an unlimited budget and want to wait. I have never seen a result of his that isn't impeccable.

On 11/3/2020 at 10:59 PM, jimcraig152 said:

Hey @baldlivesmatter,

Thanks for stopping by. In the 3 months since I have been on this forum, I have seen all the great results from Dr. Diep. Those results are at least a year old. And if you participate frequently on any internet forum, you know it is bad "netiquette" to bump an old thread. That is why I haven't commented on those old threads, not that I am being dismissive.

I think your hair looks great. I acknowledged that in this very thread back in this post, BTW. As for my results, no doubt I will look good at the end of my journey. No doubt even as I pragmatically assess my current progress, I look good now. However, it is very easy for hair loss sufferers to be pragmatic in affirming their results. Simply because, where we were once bald, we now have hair! So we have to be ecstatic, yeah? #cartwheels.

The problem with approaching assessments pragmatically is to be dismissive of any/all inherent shortcomings. True, no hair transplant is perfect. But the shortcomings are clearly as a result of compromises that could have been avoided and cannot simply be dismissed. Let's call the identification of these repeated shortcomings for what they truly are:

Compromises employed by Dr. Diep at the expense of diminished aesthetic results that the patient is seeking in surgical hair restoration.

These compromises allow Dr. Diep to save his time during any given day. That time saved then is leveraged to maximize his revenue stream through increased volume of patient procedures performed per day (2 full procedures per day) and increased pre-consultations arranged per day (effectively, $1000 per pre-consultation).

In these discussions, I am reminded of having recently watched a WWII documentary. The theme explored in the documentary was this:

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

As a brother in the struggle, I am happy for you and the results you've attained. However, these baby doll grafts were delivered by Dr. Diep as a result of compromise. This unnatural hairline was delivered by Dr. Diep as a result of compromise.  The decreased flexibility for a FUE patient (like yourself) to wear shorter hair styles is a result of compromise. Dismissing these things gives Dr. Diep a pass, allowing these shortcomings to be applied on fellow hair loss sufferers to follow. Dismissing the criticisms, turning the other cheek, is all that it takes for these shortcomings to continue to exist.

Well said. What irks me is that you can eloquently describe the problem with supportive evidence, yet it is not addressed by the moderator. Instead, it is only repeated that Diep has more than a dozen happy results. It is not the successful cases that define a surgeon, it is the bad ones. Where did the surgeon go wrong? Was it his fault, or the patients pathophysiology? Top surgeons have perfected their craft to the point where, when patients have a poor result, it is most often a problem with the patient, not the technique. Even so, the very elite can predict these shortcomings and minimize them by modifying certain aspects of the surgery, as is described in most of Dr. Konior's posts.

I have seen no indication that Diep does anything to accommodate these shortcomings from patient to patient, and that is why he gets more negative results than other surgeons affiliated with this site. Yes, he gets good results, but he also gets a lot of bad ones. Those need to be analyzed.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ShadowMoon said:

Well said. What irks me is that you can eloquently describe the problem with supportive evidence, yet it is not addressed by the moderator. Instead, it is only repeated that Diep has more than a dozen happy results. It is not the successful cases that define a surgeon, it is the bad ones. Where did the surgeon go wrong? Was it his fault, or the patients pathophysiology? Top surgeons have perfected their craft to the point where, when patients have a poor result, it is most often a problem with the patient, not the technique. Even so, the very elite can predict these shortcomings and minimize them by modifying certain aspects of the surgery, as is described in most of Dr. Konior's posts.

I have seen no indication that Diep does anything to accommodate these shortcomings from patient to patient, and that is why he gets more negative results than other surgeons affiliated with this site. Yes, he gets good results, but he also gets a lot of bad ones. Those need to be analyzed.

We've kind of been adversarial, but Melvin is a good dude and has a tough job. He is due for a break. Because just like my journey, it isn't no where near done.

But you know, it is interesting.......I read @Tentpole91's last update and he clearly states that he will wait out the recovery period and seek repair with a different surgeon. That was followed by Melvin inquiring about gaining help from Dr. Diep. When I read that, i am thinking to myself "No way would Tentpole91 go to Dr. Diep for repair!". Because the first thought that comes to my mind is this......

Einstein.jpg.65b00cd744e8bad13b37e0c466a81a9e.jpg

So the mention that Dr. Diep offered a FREE repair probably doesn't even qualify as a token to Tentpole91? I dunno. I can't speak for him. Maybe he can chime in here or on his thread regarding the free repair.

Alright, I'll just keep to answering questions here and via PM and post progress updates until at least 2020 is over with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anotherhairlosssufferer said:

Konoir and his disciples all win the FUE Donor "Like a Virgin" Award:  Gabel & Nadimi. Nadimi's hair lines appear as if she apprenticed with Mother Nature instead of Konoir. She is one of the few surgeons that does both the excisions and grafting. Although, she might be on the conservative side and I am thinking that is because she does 100% of the work and might not take big jobs? I am a big fan of Dr. Hasson's work, and I am going to stoned as i say this, not so much of Dr. Wong's work. But it is too much of a hassle to go to Canada now anyway. Read @hybonix's thread. He was in your same position. He went to Dr. Shapiro who I am a big fan of too. I am a big fan of Dr Louis Nader's work out of Mexico. The price is outstanding. Nader does both the excisions and implantation using DHI. My initial thought after seeing the left to right inconsistencies with my procedure repeated with other Dr. Diep patients, is that I don't want a tech anywhere near me. I've softened that stance provided the techs are highly competent like H&W's. So I've thought earlier on, if had a do over and I had to keep it to North America, Nadimi or Nader.

Anyways, make your own decisions. But make no mistake about it, what you are seeing are realities.

Edited by jimcraig152
Delete. Forum is acting weird.

19 hours ago, anotherhairlosssufferer said:

I also put a $1000 deposit down with Diep and am horrified after reading all this. It seems his results have really declined and I"m not willing to take that risk. I had to schedule my appointment a year out because they claimed they were booked out that far, but they've been constantly calling, texting and emailing me nearly every week that they've have early appointment availability. I'm assuming because of cancellations? Has anyone else cancelled here and was able to get a refund?

On another note, is there any recommendations for an alternative? I was drawn to Diep because of his hairlines, specifically how low he was willing to make them. I don't have any recession really or family history of MPB but have a very high hairline naturally and am in my mid 20s, so I wanted a HT to lower it a bit, but I see most HT surgeons are hesitant to do so as there may be future recession. Already got 1 HT overseas for this issue, and while it looks very natural, it was a very tiny improvement. 

@thefivehead, according to @Legend007, if no services were delivered, you are entitled to your money back. He was able to get his deposit back. Call your CC company. Read this post for more details.

My assessments on a surgeon are more towards the fundamentals though:

• Naturalness is the fundamental and primary goal of surgical hair restoration
  • If paying the premium for FUE, less visible scarring is the primary goal allowing for more flexibility with shorter hairstyles

The methods applied must support these fundamental principles. As for hairline designs, Dr Diep does this well. But also realize, this is the least demanding of tools required in a surgeon's arsenal. If you work with a highly qualified surgeon and express what you want, he should be able to deliver it along with methods that support the fundamental principles. We were able to help this member get going right with gaining that expression. Check it out here.

Edited by jimcraig152
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, qui bono said:

31 minutes ago, jimcraig152 said:

@thefivehead, according to @Legend007, if no services were delivered, you are entitled to your money back. He was able to get his deposit back. Call your CC company. Read this post for more details.

My assessments on a surgeon are more towards the fundamentals though:

• Naturalness is the fundamental and primary goal of surgical hair restoration
  • If paying the premium for FUE, less visible scarring is the primary goal allowing for more flexibility with shorter hairstyles

The methods applied must support these fundamental principles. As for hairline designs, Dr Diep does this well. But also realize, this is the least demanding of tools required in a surgeon's arsenal. If you work with a highly qualified surgeon and express what you want, he should be able to deliver it along with methods that support the fundamental principles. We were able to help this member get going right with gaining that expression. Check it out here.

Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction. Just filed a dispute with my credit card company and will keep those interested updated about whether I receive a refund. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, thefivehead said:

Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction. Just filed a dispute with my credit card company and will keep those interested updated about whether I receive a refund. 

Also would like to hear about the choice you eventually make. We are brothers in the struggle. Page me with the @<username> command when you create your own thread. Thanks!

The forum software has been buggy in the last day or so. Has anyone else noticed this?

End of Week 15 Update

Neighbors, some acquaintances, the lucky ladies that call me not their one and only, but call me that they are lonely, have been pretty much the only people I have been around in these 3 months into the recovery. I've been able to keep the procedure under wraps with the social distancing and dimming of the lights. But the Holidays are around the corner. I had hoped that I would get enough growth by then to just show up and no one would be none the wiser. I had very long hair before the surgery, so now that it is cut short, it would have been dramatic change anyway. But looks like I will either wear a hat or a beanie around the Holidays. But you know what? I was shampooing my hair today and was thinking, why don't I go with the overly gelled spiked hairstyle? You know the "Clearly-I-am-a-douche-Guy-Fieri-Spiked-Hair" look?

IMG_2493.jpg.75e44e43d4ca8033386e93769ee446f7.jpg

This might work!

IMG_2494.jpg.67ff3e882cd88f62042d6c476ca682d1.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg.4bb7035780517d78a47cbfc272757e1b.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg.bddaed1a88504e2ae7229ce158fcd90f.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg.3e3a1d86b8dd55c1221e92f500f0177b.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg.2463df031f35bc38a628d57da987c934.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg.cd559a15479a6e64d536429b55192e0e.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg.b84a7f8b6b7cd858f3d4e0567720fe8c.jpg

Took extra snaps of the right side at different angles and positions under the lights so you have better picture of what is going on.

IMG_2502.jpg.ae792dde09b2624d60ce997a10510aed.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg.7a2973fad5d646e8bd7658ce0fed913b.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg.4a57b78df742bc53e7727cdd88e3ffbd.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg.a04fd29b6b79116dedce63b3077c00d7.jpg

IMG_2506.jpg.18a63b63d8f8a480b8bc83d6131f478b.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg.4e88c1e86ba500ebbe2bae20c94f13e5.jpg

The excisions near the vertex on the right side that I feel just isn't a good spot to have more scalp showing than hair. The scarring is still visible if you look closely in the thin area.

IMG_2510.thumb.jpg.e30d32d3f8c046e50c7d5b269b73dba9.jpg

And here is a wider shot. Angle shot of what it looks like.

IMG_2511.jpg.8643ab31f77f2a2705abd37251ac3245.jpg

ComparisonII.thumb.jpg.d0976399c1654881e3c647bae92d1e37.jpg

Edited by jimcraig152

As always thanks @jimcraig152 for the honest update. Regarding the holidays, I am also concerned because I will be visiting my parents thanksgiving week. I am thinking about just rocking a beanie but for a whole week it might be weird. Also, my parents have a spidey sense when it comes to me 😂. Curious as to why you don’t buzz your existing non grafted hair to make it a little more even? I’m rooting for you !!

edit: I don’t think those infamous cornrows look as obvious as before but that’s just me.

Edited by MagnificentAl
  • Thanks 1

I will buzz my hair down to the length of the recipient area Friday before Thanksgiving. Giving it time to grow out to maximum length before I do. Leave a few days before the holidays to bounce back a bit so it doesn't have the freshly mowed look.

Regarding the rows, the paradox is that I have to deal with surgeon-induced techniques that diminish the aesthetic results that I am seeking. Whereas with you, you are dealing with the ugly duckling stage which is part of the process. See the difference?

• Like 1

@jimcraig152 - your donor looks pretty ok now don't you think? Plus I don't really see the corn rows any more - never saw them in your case actually to be honest. The density could be better but it's been only 4 months, you're too early, and the density is something we all agree Diep does a good job on.

Edited by anotherhairlosssufferer

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides

HT With Dr. Konior December 2020: https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/anotherhairlossdude/4442

I don't understand why there is so much hatred toward Dr. Diep here. I really think Jim's result looks really good. I am getting my HT with Diep this week. Will report back with my experience. Diving in!

Edited by WS2020
  • Like 4

@WS2020 - good luck, I hope you post your results here! When did you schedule the surgery, mine was scheduled 11 months out :( FUE or FUT/how many grafts/what norwood scale are you?

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides