A few newbie questions about wigs

nightowl

I live in the UK and am in my mid-40s. Hair loss runs in the family and I'm showing the same pattern baldness as my father and grandfather - totally bald up top with normal growth around the sides and back. The monk look I call it. smile.gif It's been as it is for a few years now so I guess that's how it's going to stay. I can't say it totally played on my mind for a number of years but recently I've been finding it hard to look at myself in a mirror, especially with a few signs of ageing around the face. I think there's probably a bit of thinking about the big five-zero looming too and feeling pretty rubbish about things. What definitely hasn't helped is working from home during the lockdown and having lots of long video conferences. There's nothing like staring at yourself for hours each day to make you feel even worse. I'm only just dipping my toe in the water in terms of options at the moment but have seen enough to realise that a hair transplant is going to be out of my reach financially. It's also too far gone for any magic shampoos etc to work. Therefore I guess my only option is to think of a hairpiece. I've always had a bit of a downer on the idea based on the fact that my dad briefly tried a really cheap and nasty one back in the 70s. It actually ended up being torn apart by the family dog when he left it lying on the chair one day. biggrin.gif Must have thought it was some weird creature invading the house or something. Anyway my main questions are:

1, Can you get something these days that isn't going to have people automatically pointing and crying 'wig!' ?

2, Is there a rough minimum financial commitment you should have in mind to get something of good quality?

3, How long does a good quality wig last for? I've seen some suggestions that they need to be replaced every few months. That would be a hefty long term financial commitment.

Thanks everyone

23 hours ago, nightowl said:

I live in the UK and am in my mid-40s. Hair loss runs in the family and I'm showing the same pattern baldness as my father and grandfather - totally bald up top with normal growth around the sides and back. The monk look I call it. smile.gif It's been as it is for a few years now so I guess that's how it's going to stay. I can't say it totally played on my mind for a number of years but recently I've been finding it hard to look at myself in a mirror, especially with a few signs of ageing around the face. I think there's probably a bit of thinking about the big five-zero looming too and feeling pretty rubbish about things. What definitely hasn't helped is working from home during the lockdown and having lots of long video conferences. There's nothing like staring at yourself for hours each day to make you feel even worse. I'm only just dipping my toe in the water in terms of options at the moment but have seen enough to realise that a hair transplant is going to be out of my reach financially. It's also too far gone for any magic shampoos etc to work. Therefore I guess my only option is to think of a hairpiece. I've always had a bit of a downer on the idea based on the fact that my dad briefly tried a really cheap and nasty one back in the 70s. It actually ended up being torn apart by the family dog when he left it lying on the chair one day. biggrin.gif Must have thought it was some weird creature invading the house or something. Anyway my main questions are:

1, Can you get something these days that isn't going to have people automatically pointing and crying 'wig!' ?

2, Is there a rough minimum financial commitment you should have in mind to get something of good quality?

3, How long does a good quality wig last for? I've seen some suggestions that they need to be replaced every few months. That would be a hefty long term financial commitment.

Thanks everyone

I would beg that you please just reconsider the hair system for now and concentrate on other options first. Have you tried any medications? Can we see some pics?

I will try and answer a couple of your questions but I would never recommend you wear a hair system, I wore one for 5 years. They can look great and that's true, I don't think anyone ever knew I was wearing one apart from those I told. So yes, they can look very good and just like real hair but this takes time, effort and money. Believe me, if you can afford a hair system then you can afford a hair transplant, they are not cheap and if you go cheap, it looks like a wig. You would replace it ideally every 3 months at the most, do not have them repaired and do not go for cheaper more durable base materials, they look like wigs. 

Edited by Kruchie

I agree with you.  It's supply and demand after all.  You just don't have enough to work with. I would typically shy away from systems but I realize they have a place in the world, mostly for challenging cases like yours.  It is what it is.

Systems have come a long way.  They had so much hair they did look like rugs.  In the past 10 years, however, things have been refined and now there are some so real it is difficult to spot even for the discerning eye.  And prices vary accordingly.  The key, I think, it is to have 2.  The one you are wearing and the one you'll be using when the first one is being serviced.  Every 2-3 weeks it is suggested you go in so they can shave you and make the piece look as good as it can be. Expensive? It can be.  And multiply that by the time you decide to be in the program. On the average, people wear them for about 8 years.

Based on the color of the hair I'd say you are young.  Enjoy your 'Youth," try it.  You can always stop.

Do some research.  People are hungry for business and it's likely you'll find something you'll like.

Lastly, have you thought about SMP?  This gives you the look of having hair.  It looks as if you'd shaven and allowed the hair to grow for a few days. I would try that first.  It uses organic ink which is metabolized by the body.  This also needs to be done multiple times but it's likely a more economical solution, (and far more comfortable).

On 7/30/2020 at 10:46 AM, nightowl said:

Here's a pic. I assumed that it's too far gone for any medications and the size of the area would make a transplant hugely expensive.

hair.jpg

I think you could try a system, there is no harm in giving it a go. As much as I'm against them, I do realise that there are times when a system may be the best option. I take it you would be open and honest about wearing one? It would be difficult to go from slick bald to full head of hair. If you go ahead with purchasing a system, I can give you many tips and advice, feel free to message me about it. 

Like @LaserCap said, SMP could be a good option too, I've seen some astounding results recently here in these forums, definitely look into that.