Is 2500 sufficient for my Norwood 5A?

I'm considering getting a HT done soon. One doctor suggested me about 4500 grafts. And another suggested me 2500 grafts with focus on hairline and midscalp/as far back as possible using FUT.

I'm 27 and never had a HT done before. What are your suggestions/opinions? Anything is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_6555.JPG

IMG_9977.JPG

I think I would go for a higher amount of grafts for a decent coverage of the areas of baldness. Although 4500 grafts is a lot and I hope it’s a clinic which would do that over 2 days not 1. Which are the clinics your consulting with? 

@JohnAC71 - Dr Hasson recommended 4500 grafts(FUE) and Dr. Jae Pak recommended me about 2500 (FUT although willing to go a bit higher). 

Dr Hasson did not specify weather it was a one day procedure or not.

I use hair fibers, and it covers up the crown pretty well right now. I think even if i get a few grafts implanted there and majority on front/midscalp, it should be fine.

Do you think I should go more conservative or be more aggressive for the first HT?

9 minutes ago, naakmuka said:

@JohnAC71 - Dr Hasson recommended 4500 grafts(FUE) and Dr. Jae Pak recommended me about 2500 (FUT although willing to go a bit higher). 

Dr Hasson did not specify weather it was a one day procedure or not.

I use hair fibers, and it covers up the crown pretty well right now. I think even if i get a few grafts implanted there and majority on front/midscalp, it should be fine.

Do you think I should go more conservative or be more aggressive for the first HT?

I had FUT surgery 7 days ago and I was similar to you before the operation, perhaps a little less baldess.

I had 2600 grafts or thereabouts. 

11 minutes ago, NicoAustralia said:

I had FUT surgery 7 days ago and I was similar to you before the operation, perhaps a little less baldess.

I had 2600 grafts or thereabouts. 

Hope you get a good result! just saw your progress pics. Will continue to follow.

Why did you choose FUT over FUE?

13 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

I would go with Dr Hasson! 4500 FUE in their hands would be excellent. You would be making a very good choice.

I would have loved to go with Dr Hasson. Unfortunately with the current situation, its hard for me to travel to Canada. Dr Pak, is great as well and very more accessible to me. Is there any dealbreaker with him?

Just now, naakmuka said:

Hope you get a good result! just saw your progress pics. Will continue to follow.

Why did you choose FUT over FUE?

Likewise mate!

Because that was my surgeon's recommendation due to the level/pattern of my baldness and also I'm not fussed about the scar and would rather have the hair transplanted from an area that I know won't be unsafe.

2500 would give reasonable coverage. 4500 would give a much better result. Those extra 2000 grafts will make all the difference. FUE in the hands of a skilled Dr will be safely taken from your donor zone. Like you say FUT is fine too if you don’t mind having your hair long enough to cover the scar.

4500 is about right If you want to address the whole area imo. 2500 would only give you a good appearance in the frontal 1/3. I had a similar pattern and had 2000 done in my first op and it did very little. It was worsened by poor dr choice, but 2.5k isn’t much for an area that big. 

I think you will make out good with 4500, just not on one day.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

3 minutes ago, Dazed said:

I think you will make out good with 4500, just not on one day.

Yeah agreed. On one day would be a mistake. Pretty sure H&W stage it over 2 days if it’s that size. But that’s way too big for a single day procedure 

• Administrators

Definitely go Hasson, and 4,500 will make a big difference. Are you on fin?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would recommend 2500 majority in front as that's what will frame your face. Spread a few in mid scalp. Perhaps go for a second procedure in the future to address the mid and scalp with another 2500. You may want to give Finasteride a try it should help stabilize your native hair.

Thanks for all the response guys. I have been on Fin for the past year and a half. It has definitely thickened my crown a bit.

I personally am leaning towards going conservative for the first HT (probably about 2500-3000) with focus on the hairline and mid scalp, with a few sprinkled further back to give some density. I use fibers, so that would help me in the crown area a lot.

This would highly depend on your average hair/graft and hair thickness. I'm NW5a as well and 6 months ago I had 3659 grafts only in the front. My hair is quite thin though and I was completely bald in there.

I would join the rest and say that Dr. Hasson would be a great choice.

Perhaps get more assessments so you can see what other surgeons are suggesting?

Have you tried medical treatments? Finasteride and Minoxidil could go a long way for you as you have lots of miniaturised hairs left.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.