Best ways to deal with uneven nape?

Hi folks. I have an uneven nape, partly because ever since I was young the hair has extended further down on the sides of my nape, but also because I have retrograde alopecia and the center of the nape has receded upwards.

I don't think it's the best look, and wondering what you think I should do about it. To be clear, I'm in this for the long haul. I don't mind the cost or recovery of hair transplants, I just want the most optimal result given my situation. I plan on doing FUE (I probably have enough for 4000 or so grafts) and then BHT (I have a decent amount of chest/beard, maybe 3000). I also have plenty of abdomen/leg/arm hair, if those are ever useful to replenish the donor. I'm on dut/min and plan to stay on them forever.

So for the nape, here is what I think my options are:

1. I was thinking of possibly (in the future) transplanting from the sides of the nape to the center of the nape, in order to even it out. Also open to adding body hair as well if needed. That way I can have the same nape hairline that you see below on the bottom two pics. I will also likely replenish the donor with body hair at some point anyway, so that I can extract more scalp hairs. @mustang has a thread where he did something similar: 
  2. Simply get it lasered away. I'm already planning to laser the bit of back and shoulder hair I have (since those will never be useful for transplants), and back of neck/nape would be included for free. The main worry I have is that my back of neck hairline may be too high? I don't want it to look weird. I may be overthinking this, but I wanted some second opinions before I decide to get it permanently lasered off.

Thanks in advance, really appreciate this community.

1368630552_3xuqb3a-Imgur.thumb.jpg.4869ae0852d696cacb4fcc891b736ec1.jpg

330622436_brgNnMe-Imgur.thumb.png.e206f6f9d050e46978fa6fb470b055b0.png

406563080_L2kQCYK-Imgur.thumb.jpg.9560be1ebf9cfdf57514e380c441c717.jpg

I think the hairline that the barber gave me is too low, probably the red line I drew is the more optimal cutoff point for lasering?

IMG_0115.thumb.jpg.4c68a340918e25fdb36e10d233649301.jpg

Edited by giegnosiganoe

4 hours ago, mustang said:

remove them all and implant on temples and hairline

That is what I did 

You can get a good 500 grafts or more

So one thing about that, I was told by a surgeon that the hairs on my nape have "bad coverage value" based on these photos. I guess that means they wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing on the scalp, which is why I thought to instead implant them back in the donor. What are your thoughts on that?

The other thing is, would it look odd if I remove those nape hairs because my nape hairline would be raised pretty high? And what is the chance of noticeable scarring since there would be no hair to cover it up?

Edited by giegnosiganoe

• Administrators

Just shave it with clippers. Don’t laser it off, there’s no need. Looks like some slight retrograde alopecia. If it is, lasering off would be a mistake. It will look like a weird bald patch, as the alopecia continues.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Just shave it with clippers. Don’t laser it off, there’s no need. Looks like some slight retrograde alopecia. If it is, lasering off would be a mistake. It will look like a weird bald patch, as the alopecia continues.

I'm confused how lasering it could make it look worse. Wouldn't lasering it make the nape hairline look more uniform? If the retrograde continues, there will be an even bigger difference between the center and sides

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

I'm confused how lasering it could make it look worse. Wouldn't lasering it make the nape hairline look more uniform? If the retrograde continues, there will be an even bigger difference between the center and sides

Right now it’s uneven, if you laser off some hair, the hair loss will even out, and go up higher, which will leave one area looking uneven. Unless you plan to laser it all off. Either way, it will look weird with no nape hair. Best to shave it with clippers.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Nape doesn't leaving any scaring

Check my case. I posted my pictures, it was all removed and no, it's not a high nape hairline, you decide where.

Nape is the BEST hair for temples and hairline. It is much softer than the thick multiple grafts from our standard donor. My hairline looks completely natural because of it. Not even I could detect I had work done