Multiple FUT Multiple Scars

I'm planning a second FUT transplant and I've been told that they would make a second linear scar. This would be just below the existing scar and reason is to get the most grafts possible as usually there is scarring and graft survival issues if they used the first scar.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? My concern is that right now I can easily cut the sides to #3 but with a second scar it will difficult to leave the sides short. 

Is this what others have done - proceed with a second linear strip scar?

So my first and second ht was a FUT. They did exactly what you mentioned when going in the second time. But this looked quite unsightly as it just looked like a wide FUT scar. I had it revised and they cut out the excess skin, it does look wide still. My next plan is to have BHT from my beard to camouflage it.

• Administrators

There’s absolutely NO and I mean NO reason they should make a second scar. It’s careless and quite honestly shocking that some clinics still do this practice. They can take another strip using the same scar, check out patients like @Aftermath who’ve had several with one scar. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

No. There should only be one scar. Multiple scars from FUT stopped being a standard about 25 years ago. It creates more scar area which you are trying to minimize. Why does it keep seeming like we are going backwards in hair transplant techniques lately?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

No. There should only be one scar. Multiple scars from FUT stopped being a standard about 25 years ago. It creates more scar area which you are trying to minimize. Why does it keep seeming like we are going backwards in hair transplant techniques lately?

It’s seriously troubling, not to long ago there was a guy saying a clinic wanted perform mini-grafts. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, deitel130 said:

I'm planning a second FUT transplant and I've been told that they would make a second linear scar. This would be just below the existing scar and reason is to get the most grafts possible as usually there is scarring and graft survival issues if they used the first scar.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? My concern is that right now I can easily cut the sides to #3 but with a second scar it will difficult to leave the sides short. 

Is this what others have done - proceed with a second linear strip scar?

Why don't you opt for an FUE for the second sitting... 

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

In the hands of a good ethical surgeon, he will excise the 1st scar to make one new one - I can't even see mine and I have had two. Multiple scars have no place in modern FUT.  

Edited by voxman
  • Like 1

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

On 7/23/2020 at 11:09 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

There’s absolutely NO and I mean NO reason they should make a second scar. It’s careless and quite honestly shocking that some clinics still do this practice. They can take another strip using the same scar, check out patients like @Aftermath who’ve had several with one scar. 

Agree 100%. If the surgeon is skilled the no matter the amount of strips you should just have the one strip. It looks horrible otherwise