Transplant between existing transplanted hair

Looking to get some advice. I had a transplant in the past almost 10 years ago. I am now looking to add more density. I've shed some hair and have been on Finasteride the last decade which has helped.

My question is since the I am looking to add density between existing transplanted hair will this be an issue due to scarring from previous transplant in the recipient area causing the new hair to not grow?

Good question. Placing among hair be it native or transplanted is not an issue for a skilled surgeon. That said if there is scarring then yes it can be an issue as there can be less vascularity and other challenges, so it really depends on the scarring, pitting, ridging etc that is present. Best to have a really good analysis on high quality photos/video that show any issues and also if you can be seen in person. Hopefully the work can be achieved okay but for repair patients there are challenges that are not present on virgin scalps as such. Try to detail as much of the issues that you are aware of also for the surgeon to know about but they should see it well also.

• Like 1

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Actually, I don't have a particular issue. I had a FUT 10 years ago. My assumption was that all hair transplants cause scarring in the recipient area and will cause issues with transplant to add bulk within same site in the future. Is that an incorrect understanding?

My 2nd HT  was to do exactly what you want - transplant more hair into already planted areas.  I had no scarring or pitting or any trouble beforehand so it was like virgin territory.  Go do it!

• Like 1

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Moderators

Most people end up going back for another procedure to add density in some areas. It's not an issues unless it's a repair of a very poorly done transplant.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

1 hour ago, voxman said:

My 2nd HT  was to do exactly what you want - transplant more hair into already planted areas.  I had no scarring or pitting or any trouble beforehand so it was like virgin territory.  Go do it!

Thanks Voxman. Did you experience shock loss when adding more density?

2 hours ago, deitel130 said:

Thanks Voxman. Did you experience shock loss when adding more density?

No, none whatsoever.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.