randy96

Hair transplant advice needed - 24 years old

Hi guys,

I am asking for advice on which hair transplant doctor to go with? I currently reside in the UK and have decided to bite the bullet and go with a hair transplant doctor who is based in Europe, as i will not be able to travel further due to the logistics of my job. If possible, I would also like to know which norwood pattern I am currently displaying? A consultant for Dr Arshad mentioned that I am currently at level 4/5. I have contacted the following doctors so far and they have recommended me:

Lupanzula - 2500-3000 graphs predominantly in the front & mid-scalp

Feriduni - 2000-2600 graph into the temples, hairline zone and central core

Arshad - 2000-3000 graphs into the frontal and mid scalp zone

In terms of my family history my mothers side displayed little to no hair loss while my fathers side is a little more extensive. My father has a diffuse pattern with some loss in the crown, a pushed back hairline and visibly thin hair when wet. Despite this he still has a set of hair and there appears to be no baldness on his side of the family either. Both my grandfathers had covered their hair with turbans so I was never able to see how their hair loss progressed. 

In terms of medication, I am currently taking finasteride and biotin to combat the hair loss and I am considering using saw palmetto and a derma roller in order to thicken up my existing hair. I understand that I am on the young side with getting a hair transplant. However, I would like to keep my hairline conservative, implant grafts into the crown at a much later date and focus predominantly on the frontal two thirds. 

Thanks

IMG_E2182.JPG

IMG_E2183.JPG

IMG_E2184.JPG

IMG_E2185.JPG

IMG_E2186.JPG

IMG_E2187.JPG

How long have you been taking Fin? I think it would be better for you to stick with Fin and see how you respond. You might get some slight regrowth and your hair might thicken up, which makes for a better base for a HT. HT really should be a last resort, as it was for me and many others. I would definitely exhaust your other options before going for a HT. I really don't think you're quite at the stage where you need a HT just yet but that's my opinion and I'll be interested to see what more experienced members have to say. 

Regardless of what you decide, continue finasteride and leave the crown alone.  I think it is important to realize we all share a whirl.  It is the weakest point for all of us and it's ok to be thin.  If you can keep the same look a year from now, you'll know the medication is doing what is supposed to do.  If you do decide on transplants, I would suggest you reinforce the front, staying behind the current hairline you have.  Thus, if there is future recession, you'll still have an age and pattern appropriate hairline.  Always think conservatively.  

You need to be conservative, I can see you becoming a Norwood 5 by age 30, the crown will expand in time. Build upon the current hairline, do not lower it. In the UK check out Reddy, Belgium isn’t too far and have excellent doctors like Feriduni and Bisanga. 

At age 24, you are doing a great job educating yourself concerning MPB and your options both medicinally and surgical restoration.

I agree with you in keeping your goals on the conservative side with realistic expectations.

Continue your research, nothing to rush into.

I think your current situation needs to be looked at with more weight than your family history. You’re a young lad and you are unfortunately experiencing loss at an early stage. Many of us in our 20s here too. That being said, think you’re still good and early. I agree with the approach stated, right now  you should test to see what medications/treatments may work for you to maintain what you have, but I think you could also look to resolve your front third now conservatively. Of course, everyone will always build from the front backwards, and in your case there is a cosmetic improvement to be had. 

I’m personally not too familiar with European doctors, but the ones you mentioned have come up in conversation across this forum many time’s. With a conservative approach in mind I believe 2,500 grafts now will help frame your face nicely, and leave you in a position for the future. Sorry I’m not much help in your decision for a doctor, but your approach is sound. Give yourself another year at least and see how the meds hold, and I think you will benefit from providing coverage to your front now and see how the crown reacts. 

Have you given Minoxidil a fair trial? Some young people on here and on YouTube have shown incredible responses to it. Lupanzula is an excellent hair transplant surgeon as are the other two you mentioned. But at this stage I would leave surgery as a last resort and think about the pattern of hair loss over the lifespan if you do go down this path. All the best.