Highly itchy thinking scalp????

Howdy:  I had a transplant a month ago and my scalp still itches.  You can try anti histamine.  They recommend certrazine which I got at Walmart for 88cents.  You can also try aloe vera and many other shampoos.  If it gets real bad they make over the counter hydrocortisone stuff that you can buy.  If all else fails, see a dermatologist.  You can get prescription steroid anti inflammatory meds if they are needed.  YOu might have dry scalp.  You can also try a cool wet wash clothe or maybe a dandruff shampoo.  Many products, many options.

• 1 month later...

If you are using any exotic or harsh styling products or shampoos I would cut those out if you haven't already, and schedule an appt with a dermatologist. You could have something more serious (but not life threatening), like a scarring alopecia - diseases where your hair follicles are attacked by your immune system that could lead to the follicles being destroyed.

As a lifetime itchy scalp sufferer here, I feel your pain! The first step would be to determine what is causing it... I know for myself, it's partly genetic, and it seems I'm just predisposed to have some sort of dryness/itchiness/flakiness/etc. on my scalp. I've managed to keep it fairly under control, but I do have flareups from time to time. I've come to realize that I'm allergic to the majority of products, so learning what to avoid has been a huge help. Here are few generic tips I can give you that have worked for me in varying degrees, though it may ultimately come down to trial and error in regards to you figuring out what works best for you...

1. Be mindful of the products you're putting in your hair, shampoo you use, etc. and start seeing if there's a correlation between certain ingredients and how your scalp feels. I can't use anything with harsh ingredients, and focus primarily on plant-based/natural products.
  2. Make sure you don't wash your hair with super hot water, as this can dry your scalp out. 
  3. Wash your hair daily/every other day. Most stylists recommend not washing your hair every single day, as it can strip the scalp of its healthy oils... However, if I go more than two days max without a proper wash, the buildup of the product will cause my scalp to break out more often than not. 
  4. See a dermatologist and ask them to prescribe you a Ketaconazole shampoo. I use this once every couple of weeks, particularly when I feel a breakout about to happen.
  5. For severe cases, I have a liquid steroid I can apply to my scalp called Clobetasol Propionate that will clear up my scalp almost instantly. 
  6. Lastly, for a more natural solution, I've found a lot of success with applying Raw Apple Cider Vinegar to my scalp. You can apply it directly or dilute it with water... It's gonna smell pretty bad (like vinegar, lol) and may sting a bit, but it does wonders at balancing the PH levels of my scalp within a few hours. 

Hope that helps! Ultimately you're gonna have to find what works for you - but this is a good place to start. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 1:23 AM, pkipling said:

As a lifetime itchy scalp sufferer here, I feel your pain! The first step would be to determine what is causing it... I know for myself, it's partly genetic, and it seems I'm just predisposed to have some sort of dryness/itchiness/flakiness/etc. on my scalp. I've managed to keep it fairly under control, but I do have flareups from time to time. I've come to realize that I'm allergic to the majority of products, so learning what to avoid has been a huge help. Here are few generic tips I can give you that have worked for me in varying degrees, though it may ultimately come down to trial and error in regards to you figuring out what works best for you...

1. Be mindful of the products you're putting in your hair, shampoo you use, etc. and start seeing if there's a correlation between certain ingredients and how your scalp feels. I can't use anything with harsh ingredients, and focus primarily on plant-based/natural products.
  2. Make sure you don't wash your hair with super hot water, as this can dry your scalp out. 
  3. Wash your hair daily/every other day. Most stylists recommend not washing your hair every single day, as it can strip the scalp of its healthy oils... However, if I go more than two days max without a proper wash, the buildup of the product will cause my scalp to break out more often than not. 
  4. See a dermatologist and ask them to prescribe you a Ketaconazole shampoo. I use this once every couple of weeks, particularly when I feel a breakout about to happen.
  5. For severe cases, I have a liquid steroid I can apply to my scalp called Clobetasol Propionate that will clear up my scalp almost instantly. 
  6. Lastly, for a more natural solution, I've found a lot of success with applying Raw Apple Cider Vinegar to my scalp. You can apply it directly or dilute it with water... It's gonna smell pretty bad (like vinegar, lol) and may sting a bit, but it does wonders at balancing the PH levels of my scalp within a few hours. 

Hope that helps! Ultimately you're gonna have to find what works for you - but this is a good place to start. 

Thanks appreciate this 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 1:56 PM, darren smith said:

Thanks appreciate this 

Anytime! I'd be interested to know what ends up working for you. :) I'm sure you'll get it under control soon enough. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 12/4/2020 at 7:01 AM, Abhinav Bhatt said:

Itchy scalp repeatedly or aggressively, they can damage their skin and hair follicles. This damage can result in temporary hair loss, bleeding, and scabbing from the scratching. Once the scratching stops, the hair will usually grow back.

8F4EC177-1CED-4ABB-ADF0-FEAAB3A59EA3.jpeg