I had my first transplant a couple of years back at a very young age, but unfortunately the transplant failed and I ended up wasting about 2500 grafts, which did not grow. I had my second procedure back in December and am about 7 months post-op. I went with a different clinic this time and had an additional 4500 grafts transplanted, 3000 in the hairline and midscalp and the remainder in the crown. The hairline seems to be filling in nicely and I would say I am quite happy but unfortunately past the first three or so, cm the density is quite poor. I have been taking pictures and the hair is definitely there, but it is extremely thin and fine and has been like that for two months now. I did read on here that final results become apparent when the hair pops through and matures. I am happy with the first part, but it is taking a long time to mature and hence has me worried. I am currently taking propecia and minoxidil and when I contacted the clinic I was told to wait a year. Is there any reason why the hair is taking such a long time to mature? I am just worried that the transplant failed again since it won't grow past a certain length but I could be wrong and things might continue to improve if I am a slow grower

• Administrators

The hair is still thickening at 8 months, it will definitely look better by 12 months. That said, if there’s an area completely bald, it may not fill in. Do you mind posting pre-op and post-op pics?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.