22 (M) - Hair transplant doctor decision and recommendation

Hello everyone, 

I've been following this forum passively for quite some time and really learned a lot from all the advice you gave to each other. 

I am a 22 years old male from Germany with dark blonde hair. After puberty, the edges of my hairline started to recede, resulting in my overall forehead appearing larger. Basically, my hairline got higher. Behind the hairline, there are no signs of balding, and the hairline itself also does not show any reduction in density. 

I already had consultations with some surgeons in Germany who suggested around 2000-2500 grafts to lower my hairline. One renowned plastic surgeon clinic (they do not perform hair transplants themselves but offer PRP treatments) advised me to NOT get a transplant in Germany. The main arguments they brought up were the comparatively high costs in Germany and that clinics in other countries (e.g. turkey) are very specialized and have more patients and experience. 

I did some research and found the following surgeons interesting:

• Dr. Levent Acar, Cosmedica in Istanbul - DHI surgery by the Doctor himself would cost 3490 € for up to 3500 grafts
  • Dr. Bruno Ferreira, Porto/Madrid - 2,5 €/graft
  • Dr. Raghu Reddy, London - I've heard around 2.5 £/graft 
  • Dr. Koray Erdogan, ASMED in Instanbul - 2,5 €/graft
  • some other surgeons I am considering: Dr. Pekiner, Dr. Keser, HLC Ankara.

Is there any surgeon above you not recommend or definitely recommend? Also, are there other surgeons I should consider? I am quite worried about the procedure and the result as it is about the hairline which is always visible. Because blond people have among the highest density, the density of the receiving area is also a critical factor for me. 

The max price I would be comfortable paying is somewhere around € 5.000 - or is more money necessary to get a great result?

Any input is highly appropriated!

Thanks a lot & best wishes!

• Administrators

Out of all those id favor Reddy, second choice would be Dr. Ferreira, but if you’re in Germany, you’d really do yourself a disservice not checking out Dr. Feriduni and Bisanga in Blegium. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@LukeMahn I must warn you that Turkey is the world capital for botched hair transplants and you have 2 hairmills on your list ASMED (8 patients/day operated by techs that could have been taxi drivers 2 months before your surgery) and Cosmedica (same thing and even you pay for the VIP package you still only have the Doctor for 1h making the incisions the rest is done by technicians without a medical background).
These type lowcost harmills are very common in Turkey and sadly people don’t realize that any clinic advertising all inclusive packages should be avoided. 

Keser gets good results but he doesn’t use a microscope during surgery and Pekiner also gets greats results but he aborts surgeries if he finds miniaturized hairs (very common with thin blonde hair). 

The only safe bet in Turkey is HLC Ankara at 2.5€/graft but for that price you are better off going to Dr. Bruno Ferreira for 2.5€/graft at his Porto clinic if you go to Madrid it’s more expensive (Dr. Lorenzo’s clinic).

Feriduni is an amazing perfectionist but charges 4.5€/graft and Bisanga is even more expensive 6.05€/graft. 

Wish you all the best.

Edited by Portugal25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @Melvin-Moderator & @Portugal25 for your responses!

I will check Dr. Reddy. However, I just realized that he is charging around 2.5 per Hair NOT per Graft. Could be too much for me.
I've heard of Dr. Feriduni and Dr. Bisanga in Belgium but always thought they are super expensive. I will see how much they charge during a consultation. Some prices in this forum by Dr. Bisanga really surprised me positively so maybe there is a way..

The comment about Cosmedica and ASMED was very helpful. I thought I would've been on the safe side with the VIP package. 

I am quite certain about Dr. Ferreira now. Still waiting for his operation plan after the consultation. Depending on the consultation and price I might also consider Dr. Bisanga or Dr. Feriduni. 

Is there a big difference between these three when it comes to results, or is it mainly their name and reputation?

Thank you!

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, LukeMahn said:

Thank you @Melvin-Moderator & @Portugal25 for your responses!

I will check Dr. Reddy. However, I just realized that he is charging around 2.5 per Hair NOT per Graft. Could be too much for me.
I've heard of Dr. Feriduni and Dr. Bisanga in Belgium but always thought they are super expensive. I will see how much they charge during a consultation. Some prices in this forum by Dr. Bisanga really surprised me positively so maybe there is a way..

The comment about Cosmedica and ASMED was very helpful. I thought I would've been on the safe side with the VIP package. 

I am quite certain about Dr. Ferreira now. Still waiting for his operation plan after the consultation. Depending on the consultation and price I might also consider Dr. Bisanga or Dr. Feriduni. 

Is there a big difference between these three when it comes to results, or is it mainly their name and reputation?

Thank you!

To be fair, there’s no comparison between  Ferreira and Feriduni and Bisanga. Dr. Ferreira is a good young surgeon, but he’s not elite yet like the ladder. Feriduni and Bisanga have dozens of patient reviews on this forum. Always go by real patient reviews.

You can consult with them for free using our link. I’ve heard some surgeons charge using their own sites, it’s benefit using our link.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/surgeon-list/BEL/Belgium

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@LukeMahn Feriduni and Besing are FUE Icons much like Dr. Lorenzo.

Dr. Bruno Ferreira is a rising star because he’s currently a Doctor at Dr. Lorenzo clinics where he handles difficult repair jobs and patients with DUPA. He also has his own clinic in Porto where he charges a bit less. 

So ofcourse like @Melvin-Moderator said you can’t compare a young rising star with FUE Icons like Feriduni, Bisanga or Lorenzo. Maybe in a few more years when Dr. BF has more patients posting their results online.

Edited by Portugal25

• Moderators

If you are 22 with only a higher hairline and thick hair everywhere else then do not get a hair transplant. You probably don't need one at this point (although I haven't seen pictures of you). Wait a few years and see if you start to lose hair behind the hairline or in your crown or if the hairline continues to recede. Right now you are too young to be lowering your hairline to where it was a few years ago because you may need those grafts if you lose hair later and you will not look right with a thick, low, transplanted hairline and nothing behind it.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 7/17/2020 at 12:09 AM, Portugal25 said:

Feriduni is an amazing perfectionist but charges 4.5€/graft and Bisanga is even more expensive 6.05€/graft. 

Just to clarify in regards to Dr Bisanga and pricing. This information is inaccurate/misrepresented.

Dr Bisanga charges a different price point depending on the source of the grafts. i.e. Scalp donor is cheaper than body hair donor.
To give an idea, scalp donor with Dr Bisanga is 33% less than the €6.05 stated here.

It is a shame when pricing for other doctors is stated inaccurately and misrepresents their structure and in doing so influences other individuals.

By all means if anybody would like to understand pricing for FUE with Dr Bisanga more specifically for themselves, by all means reach out to the clinic or myself.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

11 minutes ago, Raphael84 said:

Just to clarify in regards to Dr Bisanga and pricing. This information is inaccurate/misrepresented.

Dr Bisanga charges a different price point depending on the source of the grafts. i.e. Scalp donor is cheaper than body hair donor.
To give an idea, scalp donor with Dr Bisanga is 33% less than the €6.05 stated here.

It is a shame when pricing for other doctors is stated inaccurately and misrepresents their structure and in doing so influences other individuals.

By all means if anybody would like to understand pricing for FUE with Dr Bisanga more specifically for themselves, by all means reach out to the clinic or myself.

@Raphael84 I was informed it was 5€/graft plus 21% tax = 6.06€/graft for the first 1000 grafts and then its 3€ plus 21% tax = 3,63€/graft.

Please confirm that the price per graft with Dr. Bisanga is actually 33% cheaper = 4,55€/graft (including 21% tax) so I can update my excel sheet. 

Only interested in final prices with tax as I can’t charge a HT to a company and I don’t think we can get a tax refund at the airport for showing a receipt of a surgery.

Thanks!

Edited by Portugal25

• 7 months later...

Update:

So… quite some time has passed and I finally had consultations with almost all of the doctors above (and some that weren't mentioned). What confuses me is that I received different - even contradictory - advice from all of them:

- One said he won’t operate me without taking finasteride (or dutasteride) at least half a year before the operation. His main reason was that the risk is too high that my hair loss will progress (although recognizing that I do not have any miniaturized hairs yet). He also emphasized that I will have to commit to taking medication forever.

- Another doctor advised me to take finasteride but I could stop taking it when I am about 45 years old. After that, it is not really necessary anymore. He also mentioned that he would recommend me to wait with the transplantation until I am 25. Although it is not a ‚dealbreaker‘ to him.

- On the contrary, a doctor with the same „first-class“-reputation told me I should not worry too much about medication at this point. He said a hair transplant should look great with and without medication. However, he emphasized that because I am really young I will likely require at least 2 hair transplants. Also, I must be aware that at some point medication is highly recommended. 

Other doctors also gave advice that is in line with one of the three examples above. I am quite confused as all doctors had a really good reputation and know their stuff. 

Personally, I am aware of the importance to manage the limited donor supply. Still, I feel a little bit resistant to take medication right now particularly as I do not have miniaturized hair or aggressive alopecia. Also, no one in my family has experienced hair loss before they turned 55. My approach would be to have regular check-ups with a dermatologist. As soon as I turn 45 or miniaturized hair follicles occur (whichever comes first) I would start taking (topical) finasteride.

Can anyone give me feedback on what they think?

Any help is highly appreciated.

• Like 1