What exactly is the 50 percent rule?

Doctors say that hair thinning does not become evident until 50 percent is lost. Does it mean that hair look exactly similar to the naked eye even if 50 percent is lost or does it mean that thinning is not visible until 50 percent is lost. I don't think hair can look exactly similar with 50 percent hair loss because it would lead to a reduction in 50 percent volume so the mane might not look as thick although thinning might not be apparent?thoughts?

• Administrators

You will not visibly see a difference in density until you’ve lost 50% that’s why hair transplants work, because they can restore 50% of original density and it will look dense. For example, if you had 100 grafts per cm2, you could restore the appearance of fullness with 50 grafts. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Would this appearance of fullness look exactly same as it was with original hair? I think , it cannot look as good as 100 percent hair. If it looks exactly the same , then hair transplants essentially have the capability to give pre hair loss look with 50 percent density in front specially.i highly doubt that's the case,I might never look how I use to with hair transplant.but if that's indeed the case, I would be happy.

Edited by NAVI

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, NAVI said:

Would this appearance of fullness look exactly same as it was with original hair? I think , it cannot look as good as 100 percent hair. If it looks exactly the same , then hair transplants essentially have the capability to give pre hair loss look with 50 percent density in front specially.i highly doubt that's the case,I might never look how I use to with hair transplant.but if that's indeed the case, I would be happy.

No, hair transplants will NEVER give you the same hair you had before surgery. You will see some thinness in certain lighting and if your hair is wet. Hair transplants are not miracles. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

You are still not getting me, I want to ask will the volume of the hair look same under normal conditions? I mean, to us ,Zayn Malik would look same even if loses 50 percent hair? Won't there be reduction of his hairline volume which would be evident even without harsh lightening. I know it would not look thin still but there would be some difference to the overall volume that will be detectable? Obviously we are not talking about harsh lightening hair.in the attached picture, do you think he will look exactly similar with 50 percent loss.i still doubt.

images (1).jpeg

Edited by NAVI

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, NAVI said:

You are still not getting me, I want to ask will the volume of the hair look same under normal conditions? I mean, to us ,Zayn Malik would look same even if loses 50 percent hair? Won't there be reduction of his hairline volume which would be evident even without harsh lightening. I know it would not look thin still but there would be some difference to the overall volume that will be detectable? Obviously we are not talking about harsh lightening hair.in the attached picture, do you think he will look exactly similar with 50 percent loss.i still doubt.

images (1).jpeg

It will look the same in MOST conditions but obviously it will not be the same. He will look similar but not the same. 

View my thread

• Administrators

Here’s what 50% looks like, and Gordon Ramsay has had a really good hair transplant. Similar but not the same volume or density, but close enough.

image.jpeg

View my thread

Visually you can create the illusion of having; 

at best  (with favourable lighting and thick calibre hair) - full density 

on average - A non hairloss sufferer 

It will never feel or be full density, because it is 40-70% less than your native density. 

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, NAVI said:

I had hair like Zayn Malik but no more. I will be happy if 50 percent can get me there. Plus some topikk and I will be there.

With Toppik for sure, it will get you there.

View my thread

IMHO, it also depends on the individual's hair characteristics...for those who have thin caliber and lower native density levels, losing 50% may be visibly more noticeable.

Also, with 50% loss, you may start to notice some scalp under the thinning native hair, especially true for those with a diffused thinning pattern of loss.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, gillenator said:

IMHO, it also depends on the individual's hair characteristics...for those who have thin caliber and lower native density levels, losing 50% may be visibly more noticeable.

Also, with 50% loss, you may start to notice some scalp under the thinning native hair, especially true for those with a diffused thinning pattern of loss.

That’s very true as well, someone like Zayn with thick hair may not be noticeable, but a fine haired person, that’s a different story.

View my thread

Yes that's correct that different hair characteristics will make a difference to hair density with the 50/50 rule in mind.

Also the hair style of that individual can make a huge difference in appearance in full density also.  Combed to the side is better than straight up in most cases especially if hair characteristics are not favourable. 

Take for example a guy with fine straight hair, and another guy with wavy coarse hair...big difference.  It's all about preventing the reflection of light off the scalp. 

Another example of black  hair and light scalp versus  blonde hair light scalp. No 2 heads are the same.

Paddy

• Like 2

On 7/14/2020 at 10:56 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Here’s what 50% looks like, and Gordon Ramsay has had a really good hair transplant. Similar but not the same volume or density, but close enough.

image.jpeg

Why don't you show us how you looked like with your full density pre hair loss and how far you have come with a transplant?it would be good to compare your results and get an idea. I am actually relying now on just hair transplants and not wanting to touch finastride because if they can be that good ,why take finastride.

It's important to try to hold onto your native hair for as long as possible when deciding on a HT.   Your HT will be a success providing you go to a reputable Doctor, but you don't want to lose your non transplanted hair and undo the good work of your HT.   Whatever way you decide to do that or not to do that is everybodys business and personal choice.  Having said that, you dont need finasteride for the transplanted hair. That will grow regardless of what you take , it dosent matter. 

Paddy

That's true because transplanted hair when harvested from a terminal donor source is mostly non-receptive to DHT.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY