Doganay, Erdogan or Westminster medical

1talian

This is my first post so please excuse any errors.

I am a 40 year old male in the UK with Norwood 5 hair loss. I have been weighing up options for a HT and want to ensure I am making the right choice and within my budget. I have been doing some research on surgeons in Turkey and I have narrowed it down to two- Dr Koray Erdogan and Dr Doganay. Dr Erdogan has advised between 5000-5000 grafts at a cost of around 12500 euros and Dr Doganay has advised 4000 grafts with a costing of 7000 euros. However with every positive review I read, I then read two negative reviews and I am totally confused. After visiting some of the top clinics in the UK, it is just out of my budget, however I did receive a quote from the Westminster medical which seems reasonable. They advise 3150 grafts for £7000 and having the surgery in the UK gives me a bit of peace of mind, however I cant find much on this clinic or their surgeons online. Does anyone have experience with the Westminster Medical Group? Based on the two surgeons in Turkey, what are your thoughts?  Any help at this stage will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

• Administrators

Do more research we hd to remove some doctors due to poor results. Never heard of the other doctor. Use our forum as a resource for research.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Run away from these unknown clinics, but pay as much attention to the names of surgeons, look for reviews of real patients in ethical forums such as HRN, not on other forums where they cancel reports of unsatisfied patients for remuneration from these doctors.

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, 83mjs said:

Has Asmed been kicked out of the Brownies? 😱

What is kicked out of the brownies? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

13 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

What is kicked out of the brownies? 

Sorry the Brownies is like the Girl Scouts for younger girls. When someone is removed from an organisation where they were a member we say they’ve been “kicked out of the Brownies” ...the implication being they’ve been a bit naughty 😀

Anyway is Asmed and Dr Koray no bueno now?

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, 83mjs said:

Sorry the Brownies is like the Girl Scouts for younger girls. When someone is removed from an organisation where they were a member we say they’ve been “kicked out of the Brownies” ...the implication being they’ve been a bit naughty 😀

Anyway is Asmed and Dr Koray no bueno now?

I don’t think they are no bueno, but given the controversies, we felt it best to remove them. Having said that, I fully acknowledge the fact that they have excellent results from well-respected members in this community. 

View my thread

22 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I don’t think they are no bueno, but given the controversies, we felt it best to remove them. Having said that, I fully acknowledge the fact that they have excellent results from well-respected members in this community. 

Big news! Interesting.

There is now only one doctor recommended in Turkey and not being funny or anything but I think the one recommended isn’t the #1 or even top 3

Edited by 83mjs

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, 83mjs said:

Big news! Interesting.

There is now only one doctor recommended in Turkey and not being funny or anything but I think the one recommended isn’t the #1 or even top 3

Not many good clinics in Turkey period. That said, we haven’t gotten many egregious complaints, if we do, we’ll have no recommendations in Turkey.

View my thread

@1talian you have selected two of the worse in Turkey which is The World Capital of Botched Hair Transplants.

ASMED is a high priced hairmaill (8 patiens per day opereated on by technicians without a medical background) with several members here at HRN complaining about their botched results and being threatened by lawyers.

Doganay was kicked out from HRN in the past for botched results and people complained he was re-using needles (insane).

If you want Turkey the only safe bet is HLC Ankara at 2.5€/graft but for that price your are better off going to Dr. Bruno Ferreira or Dr. Ximena Villa who both developed their skills with the FUE Icon Dr. Jose Lorenzo and both charge the same price 2.5€/graft.

In the UK the best option is Dr. Reddy but he charges way more than Dr. BF or Dr. Villa and is not getting better results than these two top Docs, so why pay more just to avoid a flight...

Edited by Portugal25
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, 1talian said:

This is my first post so please excuse any errors.

I am a 40 year old male in the UK with Norwood 5 hair loss. I have been weighing up options for a HT and want to ensure I am making the right choice and within my budget. I have been doing some research on surgeons in Turkey and I have narrowed it down to two- Dr Koray Erdogan and Dr Doganay. Dr Erdogan has advised between 5000-5000 grafts at a cost of around 12500 euros and Dr Doganay has advised 4000 grafts with a costing of 7000 euros. However with every positive review I read, I then read two negative reviews and I am totally confused. After visiting some of the top clinics in the UK, it is just out of my budget, however I did receive a quote from the Westminster medical which seems reasonable. They advise 3150 grafts for £7000 and having the surgery in the UK gives me a bit of peace of mind, however I cant find much on this clinic or their surgeons online. Does anyone have experience with the Westminster Medical Group? Based on the two surgeons in Turkey, what are your thoughts?  Any help at this stage will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

Hello Alex, 

Uhh, understand your excitement and feeling of a fish in troubled waters. 

Due to Corona hair transplant clinics are not crowded in Turkey. So, the doctors focus more on patients. I would advise you to ask the clinics more questions about doctor's exact actions during surgery, his expected outcomes, before and after photos. 

All docs have good and bad feedbacks (as I studyied this questions for more than 2 months). 

Just make a step forward to the one who gained your trust more. 

Let us know your desicion )

Hi my friend.
I've done a lot of research for myself.  I searched many clinics and doctors  especially in Istanbul. I decided to have the surgery by Bicer.  about 7 months ago. I was very pleased. Clean, reliable and quality clinic. Bicer is very professional . She is doing the operation  herself and I was the only patient all day. I advise her to all my friends.

Thank you all for the updates, it really is food for thought;  Asmed and Dr Doganay are definitely off my list now. 

I will be taking a look at both Dr Bruno Ferreira and Dr Villa.

Thanks again for all your feedback and I will keep you posted.

@1talian you can check several amazing results from Dr. Ximena on the Spanish forum recuperartupelo.
Dr.BF is still working at Jose Lorenzo clinics so he doesn’t have many online results other than @Rolandas and my friend @PT#31 will be posting his amazing results very soon. 

• 1 month later...

I have reached out to Dr Bruno Ferreira and he has suggested breaking it down into two transplants. The initial one would be for 2800 grafts and the second transplant would be dependent on the the state of my donor area. He also stated that I am on the Norwood 6 scale and suggested a low dose of Finasteride, however he did state that due to my advanced hair loss this may not be of any benefit. Based on this prognosis I am very hesitant in taking the medication as my hair loss is extremely advanced and I feel it is not worth taking the risk in starting this if it will not help. 

What are your thoughts on this?

What type of HT do you first of all wish to have, and second of all - advised to have? FUE or FUT?

If you're NW6 and on a budget - Eugenix in India have had some great FUE patient results on this forum recently. 

FUT in Europe - Hattingen in Switzerland are the leaders by a country mile IMO. 

The Belgian clinics tend to be more FUE focused, and from patient results recently posted, they seem to be focusing on hairline and frontal restoration, as opposed to larger sessions in which you seemingly require, however thats not to say they aren't good options, as they are incredibly skilled surgeons. 

Lorenzo has great step by step NW6 transformation strategies, so with BF training under him and working alongside him, I would hedge it a safe bet you will be in capable hands, however more patient results are required from him before I could comfortably recommend him to you. 

Don't bother with anyone in the UK aside from Dr Reddy or Dr Ball, they are good, however their huge prices don't justify the surgery there when you can hope across the channel into Europe and have surgery with equally talented, if not better surgeons, for a lot less. 

RE. Finasteride - some people have claimed for it to help strengthen donor hair and eradicate any potential thinning out of those areas, however I have to agree with your consensus that it's not really worth the risk for patients as far gone as yourself.

Plus BHT may be a secret trick card you are able to utilise further down the line to increase coverage and density, which is reliant on DHT - therefore I think theres a credible argument which isn't discussed enough on these boards which looks at a different angle of finasteride usage for those higher norwoods, who wish to use BHT for scalp coverage (it doesn't stop hair loss, it slows it - so you will still inevitably reach your destined pattern one day). You are potentially inhibiting available donor reserves. 

On 7/14/2020 at 8:02 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Do more research we hd to remove some doctors due to poor results. Never heard of the other doctor. Use our forum as a resource for research.

Melvin, could you give the community more details of why asmed has been removed? I don’t think there was a statement released like how there was for bhatti.

@Curious25 Thanks for the information. To be honest I have not looked into FUT and I was very nearly sold to Asmed's evaluation of 5000 grafts in one session. A more done and dusted in one approach, however some of the reviews has put me off. 

I did reach out to Eugenix and they stated I have a max of 3000 grafts in my donor area which is similar to Dr Ferreira's prognosis. If they had suggested more grafts then I would have definitely considered them in a one off mega session surgery. 

In all honesty I would prefer a one off mega session however it is only Asmed which has offered me this. Even though I have seen some great results of their Norwood 5/6 patients, I am hesitant after reading some of the negative reviews.

Thanks for the information on finasteride. It has put me at ease with my decision on not taking the medication.

Don’t make any decisions before you have had in person consultations, in order for surgeons to accurately assess your current state of play. You may well have more than 3000 grafts, you may not - however it is imperative you don’t make a decision based on feedback and donor assessments from photos sent online. 

@Zoomster was turned away as a bad candidate from a clinic a few years ago, yet has one of the best NW6 transformations this year after his operating team managed to extract 7000 scalp and beard grafts - just an example of how doing your due diligence can pay off. 

Surgeons assessments of donor quantities differ from one another based on a whole host of criteria, such as their extraction patterns and types of punches they prefer to use etc, so don’t be deflated if a few clinics regard you as having limited donor, it’s not necessarily a reflection of the actual number of grafts you may be able to utilise. 

Keep in mind your beard and chest hair too - sounds like you are likely going to benefit from extracting from these areas also, so focus your research on surgeons and patients who have been in similar situations to yourself. 

All the best 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

Melvin, could you give the community more details of why asmed has been removed? I don’t think there was a statement released like how there was for bhatti.

We felt we had enough reason to remove him after several complaints over the last few years. I didn’t make an official statement, because frankly I don’t want this to become the asmed forum, which it has in recent years. 

View my thread

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. A quick update, after your recommendations. I reached out to both HLC and Dr Ferreira. HLC recommended 3000 grafts and a further 1000-1500 from my beard in the 1st surgery. After 12 months a second surgery for the crown area. Dr Ferreira suggested 2800 grafts in the first session, wait 5 months and then a further 2800 grafts. He will check the progress and then he can look at the beard as a third surgery to fill any gaps / provide more density. I wasn’t actually aware Dr Ferreira performed a beard transplant however now I am confused as to which one to go with. They both seem to be extremely professional. 

any thoughts? 

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a big case ! Are you able to provide a photo of your scalp and donor region ?

Interesting that Eugenix & Westminster Medical Group recommended 3000 grafts, and the other clinics are pushing for 4000 - 5000 grafts. 

You may wish to consider FUT & FUE to get the best yield if you have a limited donor region. FUE, FUT & SMP can work well also for large cases.

• Administrators
On 9/9/2020 at 2:08 PM, 1talian said:

Hi all. A quick update, after your recommendations. I reached out to both HLC and Dr Ferreira. HLC recommended 3000 grafts and a further 1000-1500 from my beard in the 1st surgery. After 12 months a second surgery for the crown area. Dr Ferreira suggested 2800 grafts in the first session, wait 5 months and then a further 2800 grafts. He will check the progress and then he can look at the beard as a third surgery to fill any gaps / provide more density. I wasn’t actually aware Dr Ferreira performed a beard transplant however now I am confused as to which one to go with. They both seem to be extremely professional. 

any thoughts? 

Only two? You should consult with a couple more surgeons. Check out Dr. Maras with HDC @Doron Harati has some impressive results to share. Also, check out Eugenix @Fluffhead and @Zoomster both clinics are affordable.

View my thread

On 9/9/2020 at 10:08 PM, 1talian said:

any thoughts? 

@1talian you should PM @PT#31 because he went to Pekiner a former HLC surgeon (same technique) and after he had his surgery aborted he had his hair transplant with Dr. Bruno Ferreira.

@PT#31 expained to me that there are several differences in the stick&place technique used by HLC and Pekiner versus the DHI technique used by Dr. Ferreira but also the anesthesia was different because he felt only the first sting with Dr. BF but that was not the case with Pekiner (I can also confirm that wasn’t totally pain free like Dr. BF). 

If you don’t need +1000 beard grafts in this first surgery I wouldn’t hesitate and would just book Dr. BF.