Going to do Exosomes treatment. Okay to DC Finasteride?

Style22

I had 5 cc injected by mcgrath 8 months ago in January and had 0 results from it. The whole experience with that doctor was kinda odd. The very first appointment with him felt more like a sales pitch, than the actual consultation with a doctor. He claims that he treated over 100 patients with exosomes, but doesn't show nearly as many before and after pictures. Oh well I gave it try and it didn't work.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SethGecko said:

I had 5 cc injected by mcgrath 8 months ago in January and had 0 results from it. The whole experience with that doctor was kinda odd. The very first appointment with him felt more like a sales pitch, than the actual consultation with a doctor. He claims that he treated over 100 patients with exosomes, but doesn't show nearly as many before and after pictures. Oh well I gave it try and it didn't work.

Out of curiosity, what type of loss do you have? Diffuse thinning? Distinct pattern? How severe?

I imagine exosomes, like PRP, will have varying results depending on the patient's physiology. Some people respond very well and some people don't. It's unfortunate that there's no way to tell at the outset.

10 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Out of curiosity, what type of loss do you have? Diffuse thinning? Distinct pattern? How severe?

I imagine exosomes, like PRP, will have varying results depending on the patient's physiology. Some people respond very well and some people don't. It's unfortunate that there's no way to tell at the outset.

Frontal. I agree that results will vary from patient to patient.  My problem is with so called "doctors" like mcgrath that promote methods that have not been 100% tested and verified yet as a new cure for a hair loss that definitely works. He charges 5000$ for 5 cc's and the whole procedure takes only about 20 min. Not a bad business model, huh?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SethGecko said:

Frontal. I agree that results will vary from patient to patient.  My problem is with so called "doctors" like mcgrath that promote methods that have not been 100% tested and verified yet as a new cure for a hair loss that definitely works. He charges 5000$ for 5 cc's and the whole procedure takes only about 20 min. Not a bad business model, huh?

Totally get where you're coming from. I agree that regardless of the efficacies of a given treatment the industry has a tendency to overhype them, and I feel an ethical doctor is always going to make sure the patient understands the possibility that any surgical or non surgical option they may be looking at has the possibility of failure.

Thanks for sharing your experience with full candor.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 6:17 AM, SethGecko said:

How far out are you from treatment Seth?

I am going to be 2 months out in a few weeks and have gotten zero results as well.  I'll definitely post results.

On 9/11/2020 at 10:31 PM, Style22 said:

Never mind saw you were 8 months out.  Bummer sorry to hear. May be on the same path unfortunately.

Yeah I knew it sounded to good to be true from the beginning, but I decided to give it a chance anyway. And it turned out to be just a big waste of money. 

5 hours ago, SethGecko said:

Yeah I knew it sounded to good to be true from the beginning, but I decided to give it a chance anyway. And it turned out to be just a big waste of money. 

Sorry to hear about this guys. 

It's a shame to see, and it certainly brings into light Dr McGraths reputation - because he has made some pretty strong claims via his videos with David Dimuzzio. 'I thought, oh my god I have found the cure to hair loss'.

My suspicions started to be raised even further when the so called NW 7 miracle patient that they later showcased as a phenomenal responder to the treatment had literally grown his donor hair out by about an inch between his before and afters - and that was the golden example backing up their excitement. 

I understand the character and culture difference between the USA and Europe, however respected surgeons should not be acting like second hand car salesmen in this manor with something that is still in the very early stages of research and development - those hair loss help videos are basically sales pitches to hundreds and thousands of desperate hair loss sufferers, and watching a surgeon act and behave in that way is going to drum up huge amounts of interest. 

I had a conversation with my surgeon here in Europe regarding Exosomes earlier in the year, because I was admittedly suckered in by the videos I had seen, and was very excited about the science and some of the claims being made by the Dr's at the forefront of this - and he simply smiled at me with raised eyebrows, and said 'it is a very expensive treatment for something that has no research behind it - save your money for the proven treatments just now'. 

I remember walking away that evening, and the cynic inside of me lead myself to believe that of course he would have said that because it's not a treatment that himself or any other clinic this side of the pond is offering, or would be offering this year - however his ethical reputation has once again preceded himself, and I now believe firmly that what he said couldn't have ran more true. 

I feely deeply sorry for the both of you who have spent considerably large amounts on this treatment, and I would strongly suggest you pursue some form of compensation claims with the clinics, because it is frankly not acceptable for a reputable surgeon to be preying on people with a treatment that comes at such an expense.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

Sorry to hear about this guys. 

It's a shame to see, and it certainly brings into light Dr McGraths reputation - because he has made some pretty strong claims via his videos with David Dimuzzio. 'I thought, oh my god I have found the cure to hair loss'.

My suspicions started to be raised even further when the so called NW 7 miracle patient that they later showcased as a phenomenal responder to the treatment had literally grown his donor hair out by about an inch between his before and afters - and that was the golden example backing up their excitement. 

I understand the character and culture difference between the USA and Europe, however respected surgeons should not be acting like second hand car salesmen in this manor with something that is still in the very early stages of research and development - those hair loss help videos are basically sales pitches to hundreds and thousands of desperate hair loss sufferers, and watching a surgeon act and behave in that way is going to drum up huge amounts of interest. 

I had a conversation with my surgeon here in Europe regarding Exosomes earlier in the year, because I was admittedly suckered in by the videos I had seen, and was very excited about the science and some of the claims being made by the Dr's at the forefront of this - and he simply smiled at me with raised eyebrows, and said 'it is a very expensive treatment for something that has no research behind it - save your money for the proven treatments just now'. 

I remember walking away that evening, and the cynic inside of me lead myself to believe that of course he would have said that because it's not a treatment that himself or any other clinic this side of the pond is offering, or would be offering this year - however his ethical reputation has once again preceded himself, and I now believe firmly that what he said couldn't have ran more true. 

I feely deeply sorry for the both of you who have spent considerably large amounts on this treatment, and I would strongly suggest you pursue some form of compensation claims with the clinics, because it is frankly not acceptable for a reputable surgeon to be preying on people with a treatment that comes at such an expense.  

Thanks man. I agree it is a shame that there are youtube videos with thousands views where that david guy and mcgrath trying to promote basically a snake oil just to make a quick buck out of desperate people. "Acting like a second hand car salesman" is pretty accurate description of that "doctor" haha. But it's  whatever, I don't blame anyone but myself for being fooled.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Administrators

Would love to see an update as well. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I’ll snap some pics tomorrow. I haven’t  gone back to McGrath’s for pics in exact same conditions so they won’t be apples to apples. 

I can assure you unfortunately, I have had absolutely zero results from the exosomes treatment. I said this in another thread, but I would encourage anyone trying this very expensive experimental treatment to expect a coin flip on results...

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Style22 said:

I’ll snap some pics tomorrow. I haven’t  gone back to McGrath’s for pics in exact same conditions so they won’t be apples to apples. 

I can assure you unfortunately, I have had absolutely zero results from the exosomes treatment. I said this in another thread, but I would encourage anyone trying this very expensive experimental treatment to expect a coin flip on results...

That's unfortunate. I have recommended people against having this treatment. The money is better spent on a hair transplant and finasteride. Shame that it would cost thousands of dollars for a treatment that isn't proven.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

2 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That's unfortunate. I have recommended people against having this treatment. The money is better spent on a hair transplant and finasteride. Shame that it would cost thousands of dollars for a treatment that isn't proven.

What you said is 100 percent correct! If I had it to do over again I’d test the waters with PRP first from a Regenerative medicine standpoint... Way less expensive than exosomes.

16 hours ago, Style22 said:

What you said is 100 percent correct! If I had it to do over again I’d test the waters with PRP first from a Regenerative medicine standpoint... Way less expensive than exosomes.

As someone who had pretty good PRP results I will say that the cost difference struck me right off the bat. Exosomes to treat the whole scalp are essentially twice the cost, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that the efficacy in a positive responder is twice as good as PRP. Cost isn't everything but I think all of us factor it in to a degree.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

As someone who had pretty good PRP results I will say that the cost difference struck me right off the bat. Exosomes to treat the whole scalp are essentially twice the cost, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that the efficacy in a positive responder is twice as good as PRP. Cost isn't everything but I think all of us factor it in to a degree.

At that cost, there HAS to be proof. I’m sorry but charging thousands of dollars on something unproven is ridiculous. Someone dm’d me saying it was $5,000. That’s like 1,000-1,500 grafts with some surgeons. I cannot rationalize this treatment at all. 

• Like 1

View my thread

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

At that cost, there HAS to be proof. I’m sorry but charging thousands of dollars on something unproven is ridiculous. Someone dm’d me saying it was $5,000. That’s like 1,000-1,500 grafts with some surgeons. I cannot rationalize this treatment at all. 

Totally agree. IMO it is unethical for clinics to be charging this amount of money for a treatment without having concrete evidence of positive results . 

I want this treatment to be a thing more than anyone, however really don’t agree with how it’s surfacing in the industry - there seems to just be a hell of a lot of positive ‘talk’ from docs, yet none of them are willing to post pics or at the very least link to studies or their own personal trials they have conducted. 

This makes it appear a bit of a con. 

2 hours ago, Style22 said:

So people know depending on Surgeon and how much exosomes are injected, you are looking at around 5k per 5 cc’s. 

This is what I've been told as well, and that this is the amount it takes to treat the entire top of the scalp.

• 2 weeks later...

@Style22 thanks for the update and sucks to hear you didn't have results.

@Melvin-Moderator I was the one who said it's 5,000 per 5cc here in NYC

@Mycroft @Curious25 At McGraph it costs more per 5cc. Had a talk with them. And they told me their cost basis is $2,500 so it's expensive for the clinics too (according to thenm). They told me that it's possible to have good results, but not guarantee. When asked about empirical data, all they said was they have photo gallery. Very disappoiting. I was very looking forward to pay over 5k for this but now I totally won't!

• 1 year later...