Best post-op instructions?

Is there an agreed-upon set of best practice for post hair transplant care? As we all know, the 10-days post procedure are critical for ensuring the transplanted grafts root themselves in the scalp. After reviewing numerous post operative instructions from leading clinics, it's surprising to me that there's such little consensus on how to maximize graft survival.

For instance, I've read to wash frequently, rarely, or not at all. To spray frequently with saline, keep dry, or use water-based surgical lube. Some clinics even have their own secret sauce that you're supposed to use... Dr. Wesley seems to like Arnica Montana supplements to promote recovery. I've been trying to create an "ideal routine" based on weighting by how I judge growth rates at various clinics, but it's quite a task.

What are your guys opinions?

• Like 1

There are no "exacts" in science and, thus there are no standards in this industry when it comes to...anything.  Everyone is different and most everything is tailored to the patient.  Some instructions, however, are given in written form within that one clinic.  So, one clinic may decide 7 days is best before returning to normalcy.  Others may be 10 days.  Now that most clinics do FUE, numbers are changing.  You truly need less time to recoup as this type procedure is not as invasive.

It is not so much for graft survival.  These things are quite sturdy.  Talk to someone who needs to remove grafts and they'll tell you.  It takes multiple visits.  The main reason for much conservatism is so no grafts are lost.  For example, the day after the procedure you go to the gym and start doing extraneous exercises. Grafts could pop-out.

There is anecdotal evidence some of these products, like copper peptides, can help create a positive environment for the grafts as well as speed the recovery process.  Some clinics use it - as well as other products - because they truly believe this is the case.  Other clinics, however, just want to make money and will "strongly" suggest you purchase them the day of the procedure.  I think it's important to realize years ago these things did not exists and the grafts did just fine.  Lastly - like we all like to say - do your research.  Hire a clinic you can trust, that will do good work and not try to stiff you at the end of the day.

I'd say the best post op instructions are the ones YOUR ht surgeon gives you. Hopefully you researched them enough and in turn trusted them enough to cut into your head, might as well listen to them for their post op instructions as their previous results are what caught your eye.

• Administrators

Agreed it's always best to follow your surgeons instructions. Different surgeons have different protocols, these instructions should be made available to you months before you have the procedure. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.