Incision pain day 21

Greetings:  Three weeks post op from FUT.  Still have bruising pain along temple areas where incision was made.  Don't think its infected, maybe just sore and tight.  Is this typical for FUT.  My first surgery didn't have this long a recovery.

Thanx

My second was far worse than the first.  The more you do, the more you feel it. Can't recall if recovery was any different though with FUT. Have they removed the sutures? Perhaps a visit to the clinic is not a bad idea at this point.  Just have the doc look at it.

I gather you are very pale. If fair complected, this will typically last a while.  I really did not pay attention to that since I look sun-tanned all the time.

I don't believe there is regeneration of tissue.  I do think you regain some elasticity.  Interesting concept.

• Administrators

Fairly normal to experience some post-op pain, remember nerve endings have been severed and they are regenerating. The pain should subside in a few weeks. If it gets worse you can talk to your surgeon to prescribe pain medication.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 months later...
On 7/9/2020 at 10:53 AM, O Hare 57 said:

Greetings:  Three weeks post op from FUT.  Still have bruising pain along temple areas where incision was made.  Don't think its infected, maybe just sore and tight.  Is this typical for FUT.  My first surgery didn't have this long a recovery.

Thanx

OK, perhaps I am ignorant of this type of surgery.  I had FUT and the only incision was on the back of my head.  I did not know doctors would make an incision in such a visible area as the temple.  Even plastic surgeons make their incisions in front of and behind the ears.  A forehead lift can include an incision on the top of your head in your hairline.  Am I reading this guy wrong or what.  Perhaps he is talking about the tiny cuts used to implant the grafts, but then he should make incision plural.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

The incision can vary in length and width depending on how many grafts they are trying to get, scalp laxity , your norwood scale  and weather the temple region in the safe zone on a particular patient.   They can go into temple region if warranted.  A single scar could be almost  12 inches  depending on size of head  and grafts harvested ect.  For instance lets say you want 3000 grafts.  They might make incision 8 inches long and 1.5cm wide first surgery.  On second surgery with less laxity left they might make strip 12 inches long and 1 cm wide to get another 3000.  I think its all depends on the particular patients features,  donor quality and needs.  Dont quote me on this.

• Moderators

During my FUTs years ago the area just above my ears is where I had a dull pain on and off for a long time. Most of the time it wasn't much of an issue, but It would come on if I tapped the area with my finger and if I really bumped my head anywhere I'd get a searing pain in that area above and towards the back of my ears. It took a long time for that to go away.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.