Megasession FUT - What's the experience?

I'm prepping for an FUT within the next few months. As my date gets closer, one thing that has spiked lately is my anxiety on the pain/stress of getting the strip removed. 

Can any veterans share their experience?

• How are the needles?
  • What does it feel like/sound like when the strip is removed and how did you react? 
  • How long does it usually take?
  • What's the suture/staple process and how did that feel (tightness, pain, etc.)

The more I know going into it, the better I think I can manage the stress level. 

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

The most painful part is the needles for the anesthesia. Once you're numbed up you won't feel any pain from the actual surgery being done. You will feel some pulling and tugging while the Dr cuts out the strip, but there's no pain.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

58 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

The most painful part is the needles for the anesthesia. Once you're numbed up you won't feel any pain from the actual surgery being done. You will feel some pulling and tugging while the Dr cuts out the strip, but there's no pain.

How painful are the needles? Is it like getting a shot for a cavity or is it much more intense?

(For the record, needles don't really scare me that much and I feel my pain tolerance is in the higher range - it's more the ANTICIPATION of pain that always gets me :)). 

5 hours ago, FuriousGeorge said:

How painful are the needles? Is it like getting a shot for a cavity or is it much more intense?

(For the record, needles don't really scare me that much and I feel my pain tolerance is in the higher range - it's more the ANTICIPATION of pain that always gets me :)). 

The needle feels like a pinch followed by a burning sensation. That's the best way I can describe it. It hurts. It's not fun. But it's quick, tolerable, and wouldn't stop me from getting another FUT. You shouldn't feel the strip removal at all.

• Thanks 1

Hi Guys - Nothing much to add to the comments already given - I had strip surgery at Hattingen and I highly recommend them, they will take good care of you!  I experienced no pain during the procedure whatsoever - the jabs at the beginning were no worse than the jabs you get at the dentist - I understand your apprehension and I was no different! As far as removing the strip is concerned, I would say you "hear" it rather than feel it. I was given a top-up jab during the procedure and before leaving the surgery on both days (both of which I didn't feel at all) - my procedure was spread over two days with a third day (just the morning actually) for a hairwash and the final check. You get pain killers for each night as well but I found I didn't really need them - I'm a tough wimp ;-))

15 hours ago, experion said:

Where are you having the megasession FUT

I recently decided myself to have the same over FUE and I am considering Hattingen Hair in Switzerland.

Hasson & Wong (Dr Hasson, specifically)