Finesteride

Yes, the initial use of finasteride can induce a shed...the good news is that it's a good sign that the medication is working.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Normal hair fall ranged about 50-100 hairs. If you are loosing more than that you will probably notice (300-500 hairs a day).
If you see 5-10 hairs in the shower drain it should be normal, however if your hands are getting full of hair while shampooing might be continued hair loss.

As gillenator mentioned by taking Finasteride you might experience some initial shed. Medication is forcing some of the hairs to get into premature telogen (falling) phase followed by resting phase and after around 100 days they should start to grow again, but this time a bit stronger and thicker.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

10 hours ago, Rolandas said:

Normal hair fall ranged about 50-100 hairs. If you are loosing more than that you will probably notice (300-500 hairs a day).
If you see 5-10 hairs in the shower drain it should be normal, however if your hands are getting full of hair while shampooing might be continued hair loss.

As gillenator mentioned by taking Finasteride you might experience some initial shed. Medication is forcing some of the hairs to get into premature telogen (falling) phase followed by resting phase and after around 100 days they should start to grow again, but this time a bit stronger and thicker.

On 7/8/2020 at 4:22 AM, gillenator said:

Yes, the initial use of finasteride can induce a shed...the good news is that it's a good sign that the medication is working.

So, the initial use causes faster shedding and the same thing is repeated when one stops taking finasteride. If someone wants to just check whether finasteride is right for them or not then for how much time it is advisable to try the same? I am scared of this faster shedding phase.

5 hours ago, tesla007 said:

So, the initial use causes faster shedding and the same thing is repeated when one stops taking finasteride. If someone wants to just check whether finasteride is right for them or not then for how much time it is advisable to try the same? I am scared of this faster shedding phase.

Finasteride should be used for at least 12 months to evaluate it's efficacy. 

• Like 1

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

11 hours ago, tesla007 said:

The initial use does not necessarily cause a "faster" shed...and stopping the drug does not necessarily cause a shed either.

A shed cycle usually lasts for 3-4 months as Rolandas pointed out.

Once the shed cycle starts, it will fulfill the period as the follicles rest, then they will enter a new growth phase with lots of new growth...definitely worth waiting for.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY