Side-effects kicking in after a change in finasteride supplier

Nounours

Hello,

So I had been on finasteride for 3 months without problem but when I ordered my next 3 months supply, I received finasteride from a different maker. I've been on the new finasteride for 2 weeks now and have started to experience side-effects which weren't there before. 

Is this most likely a mental thing that I am experiencing? I don't understand how it could be finasteride because the content of the tablets is exactly the same, no?

Would appreciate to hear if anyone has had any similar experiences or if they have any advice. Thank you!

There could be something to this.  When the patent expired, the medication became readily available - worldwide.  It's been documented in some shipments the main ingredient was missing. So the question is, what are they putting in there? Perhaps the reverse is also true, the new pills you received contained a higher percentage of the medication.  

Did you purchase these at the pharmacy?  If so, how do you know these came from another source? Was it the packaging? Or, the pharmacist gave you a bottle worth of pills and they looked different this time around? Call the pharmacist and explain.  Perhaps they can get the ones you prefer consistently.

I am curious if these will help you with retention.  Call the doctor and ask if you can split them. Perhaps this will help until you figure it out.

• Administrators

Did you switch from brand name to generic?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

8 hours ago, LaserCap said:

So the question is, what are they putting in there? Perhaps the reverse is also true, the new pills you received contained a higher percentage of the medication.  

You may have a point there. The first supplier I had my pills from (Milpharm) have negative Google reviews compared to the new supplier (Accord). That being said, they may mean nothing and in any case, they are both licensed pharmaceutical producers in the UK so they should be both approximately 1mg in each tablet, right?

8 hours ago, LaserCap said: 

Did you purchase these at the pharmacy?  If so, how do you know these came from another source? Was it the packaging? Or, the pharmacist gave you a bottle worth of pills and they looked different this time around? Call the pharmacist and explain.  Perhaps they can get the ones you prefer consistently.

I am curious if these will help you with retention.  Call the doctor and ask if you can split them. Perhaps this will help until you figure it out.

I got it from a licensed online pharmacy in the UK so it should all be legit. I could tell it was from a different manufacturer from the packaging. It does seem as though I can request which manufacturer I want. I was just under the impression they’d give me the same one so I didn’t think to make that request before. Something to bare in mind for next time. I’m hoping that it won’t negatively affect my retention.

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Did you switch from brand name to generic?

Nope! It went from generic (Milpharm) to generic (Accord).

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Nounours said:

You may have a point there. The first supplier I had my pills from (Milpharm) have negative Google reviews compared to the new supplier (Accord). That being said, they may mean nothing and in any case, they are both licensed pharmaceutical producers in the UK so they should be both approximately 1mg in each tablet, right?

I got it from a licensed online pharmacy in the UK so it should all be legit. I could tell it was from a different manufacturer from the packaging. It does seem as though I can request which manufacturer I want. I was just under the impression they’d give me the same one so I didn’t think to make that request before. Something to bare in mind for next time. I’m hoping that it won’t negatively affect my retention.

Nope! It went from generic (Milpharm) to generic (Accord).

Could be the other generic was under doses, or this one is overdosed. If I were you I’d stick to proscar and cut it into 1/4 tablets.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

13 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Could be the other generic was under doses, or this one is overdosed. If I were you I’d stick to proscar and cut it into 1/4 tablets.

I wish all pills, (proscar and finasteride), would come pre-scored.  The problem of splitting is the fact it is never 1/4.  Some days you get more and some less.....resulting in exactly the same issue we're discussing. Mind you, perhaps this is insignificant.  I think this has more to do with amount of the main ingredient.

18 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Good shout! I'll have a look into proscar! I tried initially to get onto it but it doesn't seem as easy to get in the UK as 1mg Finasteride.

• 2 weeks later...

i switched from proscar to uk 1mg finesteride and felt depressed and anxious.. and labido non existent

did not have that with the proscar as mcuh cut into 4 pieces off a 5mg tablet

im hoping i can start the uk finesteride at lower dose than 1mg?