Decided to stay in NYC instead of going to Turkey.. Who's the best?

Since I live in NYC I decided to do the surgery here in the tri state area. I am going to be 34 in October and finally over the last 2-3 months its getting worse and worse up top to the point where even combing it over to the side isnt helping alot.

Since there's only so much donor hair available to me I decided to not risk Turkey as I dont know what I will get and dont want to risk not having donor area If I am unhappy with the result.

I had Neograft in 2013 for my hairline which was starting to widow's peak and used about 1,300 grafts to make it straight. Now I will likely need about 4,500 grafts. Does anyone in the tri-state area do mega sessions? I would rather get it over with in one shot instead of 2 surgeries.

Here are 2 photos, one from a few months ago and one now.

before.jpg

now.jpg

Kudos for not going to Turkey, now don't limit yourself to just New York.   Research top docs nationwide (and Canada) and consult with a handful of them.  With your level of loss, you'll more than likely need multiple HT's to get where you want to be.  One and done would be nice, believe me I get it, but it's just not realistic. 

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I had a consultation with Dr.Bloxham before the pandemic started. He recommended 2 FUT procedures for me for a full head 6 months apart. I am a but iffy about FUT due to the scar. He recommended this because it would get maximal amounts of grafts.

Sometimes I read about these 4,900+ graft sessions and wonder why I cant bang it out in one session as well so I dont have to get a 2nd procedure half a year later

As for Dr.Wesley his before and after photos dont seem to impressive to me.

For Northeast I have been impressed with Bloxham’s work although its mostly FUT and the thought of a scar kind of upsets me as I enjoy sides and back (skin fase)

As for Turkey only HCL Ankara impressed me.

I notice alot of after photos never show the back and crown area. Last summwr a buddy for 4,500 grafts in Turkey with Cinik and while the front looks great, if I did not know him I would think he's balding in the back

• Administrators

Dr. Wesley, Dr. Bloxham, Dr. Bernstein, True and Dorin. I would also take a look at Rahal in Canada. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Some clinics regularly do 4,000 graft mega sessions in one sitting... Rahal, Hasson & Wong for example.  Still, I think you'll need more than 4,000 grafts for a desired outcome.  I do agree with Dr. Bloxham's assessment that you should do FUT, but that's only the case if you grow out your hair on the sides and back a little longer.  I can get away with a 3 or 4 guard.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

• 4 months later...

2 guard would be too short, the strip scar would be noticeable.  

I think you should consult with a few surgeons to get different opinions. Then decide on whether you want to do FUT or FUE. Finally, decide whether you are ok with multiple session or prefer a mega session to get as much possible.  Mega session will really come down to Laxity if you go the FUT route. If you do decide mega FUT you should get started with scalp Laxity exercises.

Edited by deitel130