Is the side of my head thinning due to hairloss or is it normal?

No your hair is fine, even the bit on the side you are concerned about.

Asians tend to have lower density straight hair which when short and viewed at a particular angle can look thin, even though it is not balding.

I'm not asian but have asian like hair, and have the same issue.  My hair is straight and rigid and will not lie flat.  If it did lie flat it would have a layering effect and look more dense.

Your hairline might be receding very slowly but it hard to say.

I don't think you have much to worry about but if the thought really bothers you then consider taking Propecia...or just monitor it every 6 months.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

16 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

No your hair is fine, even the bit on the side you are concerned about.

Asians tend to have lower density straight hair which when short and viewed at a particular angle can look thin, even though it is not balding.

I'm not asian but have asian like hair, and have the same issue.  My hair is straight and rigid and will not lie flat.  If it did lie flat it would have a layering effect and look more dense.

Your hairline might be receding very slowly but it hard to say.

I don't think you have much to worry about but if the thought really bothers you then consider taking Propecia...or just monitor it every 6 months.

Thank you for the reply. Yeah my hair when short up to the 1st month after a haircut it sticks out like a porcupine. The sides only start to lye flat after about 2 months without a haircut when it grows long. So my sides are normal? What do you think about my crown and also the back area that I mentioned?

When you say my hairline is receding is it receding as in I have male pattern baldness or is it receding to a mature hairline? Like from the picture album showing my hair from April 2019 - May 2020 does it look like my hairline has changed at all? I’ve gotten differing opinions like some say it’s heading towards a mature hairline like I’m a Norwood 1.5 and some say it’s not receding and some say very minor recession not a sign of male pattern baldness.

I don’t plan to take any medication at least not for now. I’m hoping to get at least to 50 years old without significant hairloss because hairloss is more common at that age.

Edited by RickieL89

That sounds like my hair.  Very difficult to style without products.

Sides are fine.

The crown looks like a natural whorl.  I can't see any obvious signs of thinning.  Again, because of straight hair you will have a spot there that looks thin, but it isn't really balding.

You could be right about the hairline just maturing slightly.

Edited by 1978matt

15 minutes ago, 1978matt said:

That sounds like my hair.  Very difficult to style without products.

Sides are fine.

The crown looks like a natural whorl.  I can't see any obvious signs of thinning.  Again, because of straight hair you will have a spot there that looks thin, but it isn't really balding.

You could be right about the hairline just maturing slightly.

Okay so no signs of male pattern baldness. If I was balding at a natural pace like not aggressive hairloss do you think I’ll keep most of my hair until my late 50s considering that I’m 31 years old right now and the quality of my hair that you see?

Also thank you Matt for replying and giving your opinion, but I was wondering if I can get one more person opinion. It’s nothing against you Matt I just like having multiple opinions to be double sure so I was wondering if someone else could give their opinion too.

Late 50s is optimistic since 50% of men over 50 have some noticable hair loss.

I think you might be ok until at least mid 40s, but purely a guess.

On 7/3/2020 at 1:14 PM, 1978matt said:

Late 50s is optimistic since 50% of men over 50 have some noticable hair loss.

I think you might be ok until at least mid 40s, but purely a guess.

Edited by RickieL89