Can Finasteride improve the donor area and the transplanted hair?

Hello everyone,

I've read that even the hair in the donor area can be affected by DHT and get miniaturized/thinner. I would like to know whether:

1) Taking finasteride would help thicken and improve the hair in the donor area

2) Let's assume that someone has had a hair transplant and the hair on the transplanted area (previously found on the donor area) is miniaturized due to the reason above. Is it logical to assume that finasteride would help thicken the transplanted hair on top?

Edited by KHT2

Previously KLHT

If you live long enough the chances are the donor will fade.  Maybe not 100% but the good thing is it will be somewhat uniform and by that time your hair will probably be grey (less contrast).  Joe Biden being a typical example.  It has actually made his micro/mini graft work look more natural.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Administrators

Yes, finasteride can help the donor area. Thinning can occur in the donor, it’s important to know the distinction between DHT resistance and DHT proof. 

The donor is DHT resistant not DHT proof. Therefore, it is susceptible to some miniaturization. It shouldn’t be too much unless you have DUPA which is another discussion altogether.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Perfect question.

Our scalp has the so-called permanent and temporary zones. However, the hair on the permanent zone is also affected by DHT. It is only because the hair on the temporary zone are less resistant to DHT that they bald off easily. 

In some patients, we have seen that as the donor area miniaturised, the transplanted hair taken from that particular donor area also stated miniaturising. 

Finasteride can help with protecting the donor also from the effects of DHT and prolonging baldness as long as it is taken. 

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Moderators
On 7/1/2020 at 11:10 AM, KHT2 said:

1) Taking finasteride would help thicken and improve the hair in the donor area

2) Let's assume that someone has had a hair transplant and the hair on the transplanted area (previously found on the donor area) is miniaturized due to the reason above. Is it logical to assume that finasteride would help thicken the transplanted hair on top

1. Yes

2. Yes

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
On 7/1/2020 at 11:41 AM, 1978matt said:

If you live long enough the chances are the donor will fade.  Maybe not 100% but the good thing is it will be somewhat uniform and by that time your hair will probably be grey (less contrast).

There are a number of men in their 20s with thinning sides and back and retrograde alopecia. It doesn't only happen to older men. My donor hair was thinning in my mid 20s while I maxed out of grafts trying to keep filling in the areas that kept thinning. My donor was depleted at 27 and I was still a NW 5 or 6 at the time.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.