My FUE scars repair - FUE scar repair was 600 + 1.100 + 600 BHT - Dr Mwamba, Brussels

When you come to extract the further 750 grafts later on down the line , has there been a strategy in place in terms of where dr muwamba has placed the BHT in your donor eg. Purposely refilled areas close to Higher groupings of grafts to ensure that when they are later extracted , the area doesn’t appear sparse ? 

NB - I wasn’t alluding to the overhavesting of the scalp donor as a negative, rather a clever strategy designed for this very technique that you are conducting. 

I’m genuinely interested in this approach as it is the first patient thread I have seen with it, and has the potential to increase donor graft availability by quite a few extra thousand so think it’s fantastic! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about this idea before I read about it here. Because body hair doesn't grow as long as scalp hair, it can easily cover in the back of the head where hair is usually kept short, and the longer native scalp hairs can be put to use on top where their length really makes a difference.

The only question is what percent of, say, chest or abdomen hair will survive? Most info I've read says maybe 50 to 60% will survive. But I wonder if that's highly variable depending on the technique used and the skill of the surgeon, and that percentage can improve in the right hands.

Also, implanting the hairs into FUT or FUE scars in the donor area might reduce the success percentage even more, because (I've heard) hairs don't survive as well in scar tissue as in normal tissue.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Pangloss said:

Because body hair doesn't grow as long as scalp hair

I don't agree with this because mine does grow long. This is why I think this approach doesn't make sense. You are transplanting twice for no reason.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

36 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I don't agree with this because mine does grow long. This is why I think this approach doesn't make sense. You are transplanting twice for no reason.

Mine grows long too! Maybe we are lucky. But I've read that, with those short anagen phases, body hair doesn't have a chance to grow long before it falls out. In most people.

Anyway, with the issues about different texture, curliness, etc. of body hair, keeping them short in the occipital zone would minimize the discrepancy between them and the normal scalp hairs for better aesthetic results.

But as I mentioned, there are still many potential problems with doing this.

On 9/5/2020 at 12:16 PM, Pangloss said:

I was thinking about this idea before I read about it here. Because body hair doesn't grow as long as scalp hair, it can easily cover in the back of the head where hair is usually kept short, and the longer native scalp hairs can be put to use on top where their length really makes a difference.

The only question is what percent of, say, chest or abdomen hair will survive? Most info I've read says maybe 50 to 60% will survive. But I wonder if that's highly variable depending on the technique used and the skill of the surgeon, and that percentage can improve in the right hands.

Also, implanting the hairs into FUT or FUE scars in the donor area might reduce the success percentage even more, because (I've heard) hairs don't survive as well in scar tissue as in normal tissue.

With proper ATP solution these days we see no difference in terms of survival between standard FUE and BHT. Over 90% grow

Implanting on scar tissue is an extra challenge but it grows very well, there is enough blood supply to the area.

I had 2.000 BHT into zone 3 implanted and 1.500 BHT into my donor. Never been able to tell them apart. 

On 9/5/2020 at 2:42 PM, Pangloss said:

Mine grows long too! Maybe we are lucky. But I've read that, with those short anagen phases, body hair doesn't have a chance to grow long before it falls out. In most people.

Anyway, with the issues about different texture, curliness, etc. of body hair, keeping them short in the occipital zone would minimize the discrepancy between them and the normal scalp hairs for better aesthetic results.

But as I mentioned, there are still many potential problems with doing this.

There are literally zero potential problems.

Have you seen how long your beard can grow? some people have it all the way down to their chest.

On 9/5/2020 at 2:03 PM, BeHappy said:

You are not.

You put FUE into the recipient, you replace the missing density with BHT.

You will never transplant BHT from the donor back to the recipient. We keep it to multiple grafts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 8:23 PM, giegnosiganoe said:

Saw Dr Mwamba interviewed on this youtube video about BHT, thought it would be somewhat relevant to this thread: 

Thanks for this - great to see the developments with BHT. If its trajectory is anywhere comparable to the trajectory of scalp hair transplants over the last 20 years, then we could be in for a treat 🙌

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 9:05 PM, giegnosiganoe said:

Honestly doesn't look too bad. How does the other side look in comparison? Is it only shock loss of the transplanted hairs, or do you think some of the existing hairs were shocked as well?

The other side looks perfect, no gaps, no shock.

I had 600 BHT implanted there, those are gone and I think I lost some native hair as well, I didn't look this bad before surgery

• 2 weeks later...

One of the most interesting threads I have ever seen. I wish you all the best, I have no doubt that the shocked hairs will re grew in 2 months max.

I feel so stupid for doing laser hair removal on my chest and arms, I had maybe 8k grafts together no joke...

I do still have plenty of legs hair, do you think those can be used safety with high survival?

• Moderators
On 9/7/2020 at 7:41 AM, mustang said:

You are not.

You put FUE into the recipient, you replace the missing density with BHT.

You will never transplant BHT from the donor back to the recipient. We keep it to multiple grafts.

Right, so you are transplanting twice as I said. I don't mean you are moving the same hair twice. You are taking hair from the donor area and transplanting it to the top/front. Then you are taking body hair and transplanting it to the donor to replace the donor hair you removed earlier. It just seems to me like you would be much better off not taking so much donor hair in the first place and just transplanting the body hair to the top/front.

If you're worried that the body hair may not grow then what happens if it doesn't grow in the donor area that you depleted? Wouldn't you be worse off in that case?

For someone who didn't purposely deplete their donor area, but end up overly depleted anyway then yes, I'd use body hair to increase the donor area hair, but I wouldn't have a plan to purposely deplete the donor area and then replace it with body hair. Just use the body hair as the donor.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 10/1/2020 at 3:20 AM, BeHappy said:

Right, so you are transplanting twice as I said. I don't mean you are moving the same hair twice. You are taking hair from the donor area and transplanting it to the top/front. Then you are taking body hair and transplanting it to the donor to replace the donor hair you removed earlier. It just seems to me like you would be much better off not taking so much donor hair in the first place and just transplanting the body hair to the top/front.

If you're worried that the body hair may not grow then what happens if it doesn't grow in the donor area that you depleted? Wouldn't you be worse off in that case?

For someone who didn't purposely deplete their donor area, but end up overly depleted anyway then yes, I'd use body hair to increase the donor area hair, but I wouldn't have a plan to purposely deplete the donor area and then replace it with body hair. Just use the body hair as the donor.

It doesn't work that way.

BHT has no coverage value on the recipient. 

The donor is kept short so it meets the requirements. 

• Like 1

Almost 3 months

2 VS 3 month comparison. I am hoping for a lot of improvement on the next 2 months but at least donor looks a little more normal now

[url=https://ibb.co/PcmZHdv][img]https://i.ibb.co/Lxkz73X/comparison.jpg[/img][/url]

comparison.jpg

Edited by mustang
  • Like 1

Super interesting thread, already a big improvement from month 2!  I also see the usefulness for SMP in a case like this.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

It’s coming on nicely . . If this is what it looks like at 3 months already, I think you should be in for a treat during the months to come. 

Are you still planning on creating a separate thread to document your whole journey? 

On 10/12/2020 at 2:36 AM, giegnosiganoe said:

Definitely looking better. So mustang, which different body hairs have you transplanted so far in your life, and how many grafts for each?

Hello!

I have done 800 BHT to my crown

500 BHT to my beard from my lower beard and 

1.100 BHT into my donor area as repair as well

Overall 2.000 BHT grafts have been used.

I still have another 300-400 I think to close any gaps if there are areas that don't grow well

We will have to wait another 6 months to assess. BHT cycle is much shorter than standard FUE grafts thus final results are seen sooner

• Thanks 1