Advice on Hair Transplant Doctors

Hi there;

I've been doing plenty of research on hair transplants over the past 3-4 months in lockdown. I'm 34 and have a stable hairline (somewhere around a norwood 2/3) since I was around 22. It used to bother me a great deal when I was younger but now feel less that way and more experienced to make a decision on something like this. 

I started off without a clue about hair transplants; only seeing your usual Z-listers promoting KSL on instagram. I soon released that their transplants are rubbish and no thought goes into the single grafts at the front, hairlines too low, female hairlines etc. 

So I did loads of research on doctors. Initially speaking with Dr Ball and then Dr Reddy too. Both I was impressed with over video consultations and liked that they would both focus on limited grafts for a natural hairline. I have thick strands of hair so am a little worried it could create a blocky effect to my hairline and until I see someone in person im unsure what my donor area is like. 

I've also been speaking with Dr Ferreira in Portugal too who offered a detailed report for me of how he sees my hair along with a drawn on hairline too of what could be achieved. 

I don't take any medication currently and I am as I say fairly happy with my hairline but I would like to improve it where possible. I'm just keen to hear your thoughts on the above doctors ive listed? 

Thanks 

I would probably go with Reddy out of those two but i heard he charges per hair which is a bit strange. Are you open to having your operation abroad? This is because there are doctors who have a greater track record than UK doctors and also charge a lot less. A few examples are Lorenzo, Maras, Bisanga, Feriduni.

Thick hair is a bonus when it comes to hair transplants, you won't have a "blocky effect" if the doctor knows what he's doing. 

Thanks, I was edging towards Dr Reddy after seeing some of his results and what he can get from minimum grafts too. As you say though charging per hair seems strange though. 

I'm happy to go abroad for sure, it was my initial reason for looking at Dr Ferreira who works with Lorenzo but has his only surgery too. Both those options appeal to me too. \

I'll crack on with contacting those names you mention too and see where it take me 

Cheers

Ball is good and jana shafer (spelling) is his lead technician who learnt her craft with Ron Shapiro. Met her once along with David Anderson, another of the good guys in the industry.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks :) I did actually speak with Mr Ball / David online and they were worried that as my hair strands have coarse hair caliber, he had concerns about the ability to create a natural hairline in an area where fine hairs should always be used. This confused me a little as I was under the assumption coarse hair was a good thing for a hair transplant. Forgive me i'm still learning! 

The one on the left is higher than the other, but looks about right. 

My hair is a coarse as it gets and my first HT was FUT.  The doc just needs his techs to sort the finest hairs from the thicker ones and use these up front.  It can be done but takes time.

The same goes for FUE if the doc can extract enough of the finer looking hair strands, the chances are there will be enough smaller calibre hairs.

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks @1978matt really helpful 

In regards to DR BF @Rolandas / @Portugal25 i've seen numerous comments from both of you in regards to how good he is and pricing wise too; be great to hear your thoughts. 

In terms of what all 3 DR's have said online; it's been varied in terms of grafts - 1 said around a 1000 grafts, another 1200-1500 and finally the other 1800-2500 so i'm a little confused why this varies so much

Thanks

23 minutes ago, SilverFox said:

Thanks @1978matt really helpful 

In regards to DR BF @Rolandas / @Portugal25 i've seen numerous comments from both of you in regards to how good he is and pricing wise too; be great to hear your thoughts. 

In terms of what all 3 DR's have said online; it's been varied in terms of grafts - 1 said around a 1000 grafts, another 1200-1500 and finally the other 1800-2500 so i'm a little confused why this varies so much

Thanks

Hey man,

I think you're on the right track to determine good doctor.

My understanding was always to find the best surgeon for your particular case. Look at how each doctor does hairlines, ask them to explain in detail how they would do it. Don't forget, everyone would like to get you in their chair, it's your choice in the end of the day.

Re: graft count - I was just talking to one guy about it lol. Every doctor has their "opinion" <--- key word. There's no right or wrong answer. One might think he can do with 1000 grafts, another with 2000. Obviously safe to assume more grafts = more density, but you have to also think about future hair loss. If you're lucky to stay on this stage then go for max you can, if not, be more conservative. You always can lower go back and top it up, but on contrary, if you have just this small area to cover and that's how much baldness is running in your family, then there would be nothing wrong of thinking about "one and done" type.

From my personal experience with Dr. Ferreira:
- He used both motorised and manual punches according to his needs for different parts of head and hair
- Used punch size according to my grafts diameter (I had lots of multi-grafts growing in one line, meaning wider punch needed)
- I had lots of popping on the first day, so he completely changed his implanting approach on second day and successfully avoided popping happening again (being knowledgeable) 
- Not sure how much this relates to others, but his anesthesia was pretty much painless 1/10 as he somehow been massaging my scalp while inserting the needle (lots of people report this being the most painful part lol)

More info obviously on my thread, but just trying to give you something more specific from my experience, so you can compare.

Good luck on your research and don't rush!

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

@Rolandas that makes total sense and one to consider regarding the number of grafts. I think until I know how many grafts I have to play with that will give me some indication of what may be the best option. I have very similar balding pattern to my father whos slighty more receded than me, similar to my grandad too so i'm hoping I could possible get away with one surgery. But I guess you never know! 

DR BF has thus far come across brilliantly in his responses and if I do go for the additional grafts and density he will be my choice going on conversations so far. 

Would you say the donor area punch scars are undetectable now for you after 5 months of surgery? 

Still plenty of research to be done and i've watched your videos too which have been a massive help! 

8 minutes ago, SilverFox said:

@Rolandas that makes total sense and one to consider regarding the number of grafts. I think until I know how many grafts I have to play with that will give me some indication of what may be the best option. I have very similar balding pattern to my father whos slighty more receded than me, similar to my grandad too so i'm hoping I could possible get away with one surgery. But I guess you never know! 

DR BF has thus far come across brilliantly in his responses and if I do go for the additional grafts and density he will be my choice going on conversations so far. 

Would you say the donor area punch scars are undetectable now for you after 5 months of surgery? 

Still plenty of research to be done and i've watched your videos too which have been a massive help! 

Donor - can't really complain. I don't believe donor could look any better after fue.
This was me 1 month after my surgery when I buzzed donor to 1mm.

20200229_135846.jpg

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

• Administrators

You’ve got some good names, but have you looked at actual reviews? It’s important to base your decision off of real reviews, not just one review either. I suggest looking at our review section and searching some names.

Elites in Europe are Bisanga, Feriduni, Reddy, Devroye just to name a few. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi @SilverFox, I am the offical rep of Dr. Maras at HDC clinic in Cyprus Nicosia (Greek side), our price per graft also includes accommodation apartments next to the clinic, also aftee 2 days of surgey we give 5 days of 100% clean and cleanse the whole scalp from scabs, no extra charge.

You are welcome to consult with me in private and Dr. Maras will make a video call with you.

Dr. Maras did my repair HT a year ago (after a failure HT in Turkey 2018), you read all about it here with pics:

And here too:

https://www.instagram.com/hdchairconsultantcentre/?hl=en

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

On 7/2/2020 at 4:12 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

You’ve got some good names, but have you looked at actual reviews? It’s important to base your decision off of real reviews, not just one review either. I suggest looking at our review section and searching some names.

Elites in Europe are Bisanga, Feriduni, Reddy, Devroye just to name a few. 

Thanks @Melvin-Moderator I've looked at a fair few results and reviews from Dr Reddy and was very impressed with what he can achieve with minimum grafts. I was quoted around 1200-1400 grafts As for Dr Ferreira; I've followed @Rolandas progress but I must admit I can't find anything else online in terms of reviews. I've looked at Couto, De Freitas reviews too but i'll be sure to check out the other names you recommend too! Thanks :)

• Administrators
2 hours ago, SilverFox said:

Thanks @Melvin-Moderator I've looked at a fair few results and reviews from Dr Reddy and was very impressed with what he can achieve with minimum grafts. I was quoted around 1200-1400 grafts As for Dr Ferreira; I've followed @Rolandas progress but I must admit I can't find anything else online in terms of reviews. I've looked at Couto, De Freitas reviews too but i'll be sure to check out the other names you recommend too! Thanks :)

Real reviews matter most IMO

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@SilverFox my friend @PT#31 went to @Dr. Bruno Ferreira in May (after Pekiner aborted his surgery in December) been nagging him to post his awesome results.
He’s just waiting for Dr . BF to send his surgery pictures to start his thread. 

Dr. BF doesn’t really pay much attention to online forums and he’s a Doctor at Lorenzo’s clinic so many of his results are not his property to be advertised.

Edited by Portugal25

@SilverFox you have coarse hair but should not be an issue for your hairline if you go to a top doctor.  Single soft slow growing hairs can be extracted from just over your ears and down towards the nape of your neck for a natural and non pluggy hairline.  

Ask about what density you will be provided with , about 45 grafts per cm2 should provide good density with coarse hair.

Take your time researching .

How much is Dr.Reddy charging ...£4 per graft on average ? 

You could get a better result for less money elsewhere , but the money isn't a deal breaker, it's the result you must look to first as a top and only priority.  

All the best,

Paddy 

Many thanks @Portugal25 look forward to seeing the results @PT#31 I've read a fair bit about DR BF and how he's progressed his work with Lorenzo more recently over in Spain. Be interesting to see how he takes off in the industry with all that experience and more results now being posted. 

Thanks @paddyirishman that makes a lot of sense. Mr Ball was worried he wouldn't be able to create a natural hairline with the coarse hair I have, which put me off a little and worried me that maybe it couldn't be achieved. I'll ask the question for sure. 

I'm yet to get prices from Dr Reddy but i'd imagine its in that ballpark. I guess thats why i've been quoted less grafts. 1200-1400 from Dr Reddy and 1800-2000 from Dr BF which seems quite a jump?

I'll def take my time, i'm OCD about detail, which in this instance is probably a good thing! 

Cheers

• Thanks 1