Prescribed waiting time.

This post isn't even about me because it was 7 years between my transplants, but is there a minimum time between procedures?  I'm not having any more transplants, but I bet some of the guys are wondering.  Also, do most of you believe in FUT first and then FUE.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

33 minutes ago, Dazed said:

This post isn't even about me because it was 7 years between my transplants, but is there a minimum time between procedures?  I'm not having any more transplants, but I bet some of the guys are wondering.  Also, do most of you believe in FUT first and then FUE.

I think 12 months between FUTs, the reason being that you need the scalp tension to dissipate over time, otherwise you're effectively increasing the tension of the first strip even further before it has had a chance to heal.  A greater chance then of it stretching.

I think 4-6 months between FUE is feasible if the recipient areas are separate.

FUT would be better first as you get to access the best portion of donor while it is untouched.  Best being the hair least prone to thinning.

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

37 minutes ago, Dazed said:

It depends on what side you're on.  Clinic wise, particularly in the old days, 4 months.  The whole idea was to have both procedures growing at the same time to yield the biggest result in the shortest amount of time.  The 4 months allowed for the first set of grafts to break the skin. The doctor could then see the result of the first procedure and have an idea where to put the second set.

Now-a-days you don't see this any more. Best is to allow the area to heal and gain elasticity.  12 months seems to be the norm.  There are exceptions to this.  If the grafts are going to be harvested from a new area, or if FUE is going to be used as elasticity is not affected.

I also agree it is best to exhaust FUT first. Ultimately a patient could put FUE grafts on the scar to break down and help camouflage.  

10 hours ago, Dazed said:

The minimum time between 2 procedures can be 2 to 3 months with regards to the healing of the donor area. But usually, people go for the second procedure after 6 to 12 months at least.

In the past, FUT and then FUE was suitable for patients with less donor. However, with the improvement in body hair extraction and beard extraction, even FUE can provide a good coverage. Also, if fine and sharp punches are used during the extraction then there would be a possibility of extracting a higher number of donor grafts from the index donor (all the while maintaining donor aethetics). 

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ