Jump to content
rhstoned

3rd HT deciding on next surgeon. Who would you guys recommend?

Recommended Posts

1st time posting here.  i've been losing hair since i was 20, did my 1st HT FUT in 2013 for 1500 grafts, then 2nd FUE HT with a well known surgeon in Beverly hills for 2000 grafts in Dec 2018.  its been around 18 months since i had that 2nd procedure and id say i'm about 60% satisfied with the front.  I was told by that Dr. that i would need a 3rd procedure to fill the mid and crown which i planned to do.  However after seeing the results with this doctor, i'm not prepared to spend a ton of money for another 2000 grafts as he suggested that won't achieve my goals.  There appear to be areas like my right side hairline that are see through and right in the middle front where i feel like he didn't put any grafts or nothing grew.  After consulting with a few doctors, i was told i am a repair case.  I do want to note, i was advised to take FIN and i did not as i was scared of the sides and i did continue to lose more hair in the mid/crown.  I plan on starting FIN 1 mg a day or every other day. when i do my 3rd HT after talking to numerous people and doctors.  

I started looking at doctors in Turkey (Pekiner, HLC, Demirsoy, ASMED, Hair transplant of Istanbul,  then India (bhatti, Suneet Soni) and i also reached out to Couto, Lorenzo, Ferreira of Spain/Portugal.  Dr. Couto is unfortunately not accepting any consultations at the moment. I found some decent results on some Brazilian doctors, has anyone on hear have good experience with them?  I recently saw Thiago BIanco Leal and they look solid too.  

Turkish clinic i short listed was Pekiner who advised me 4000 grafts (2000 from BHT).  I wasn't expecting to take that many grafts from beard/chest at least in my 3rd HT. i know that yields on BHT is lower than scalp.

For India, Soni said i would also need 4000 grafts but max 2500 via FUE and 1500 grafts with FUT.  This was the first time i was introduced by a doctor of combining FUT+FUE.  I'm not looking to have a 2nd linear scar. Bhatti said i only have 2200-2500 grafts available and thats all i need for the crown. 

Dr. Ferreira's clinic gave me a detailed assessment/plan and Dr. Ferreira personally emailed me saying i would need 4000 grafts to fill my mid/crown and do another procedure 5 months from then to repair donor scar and touch up hairline as its a bit see through.  He mentioned my donor looks good for 4000 grafts, my previous doctor also mentioned that after my 2nd HT.  

 

2212.thumb.jpg.84fb8e4950b723f5d466c8a4f3209dd8.jpg

4B89E902-F20D-4594-8265-BB3BB2B0CACF.thumb.jpg.344e61fa79d7e9da26c107882fcc6269.jpg

IMG_7561.jpg.2a7909fc4ff76224775145c292614898.jpgIMG_7557.jpg.3563cd59e3c0f977b84e6a86d6de7251.jpg

IMG_7465.jpg.dcfbb4656ce7760cd301dc8bb62dd0de.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looks like you need another mega-session based on the balding area that needs to be restored, since you've already had an FUT procedure, I would look into that again to yield as many grafts as possible - Dr. Blake Bloxham, Konior, Shapiro, Hasson & Wong, Dr. Cooley, Dr. Gabel - just a few I would be researching and talking with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @rhstoned, I myself had 2 procedures, first one was a failed FUE in a Turkish "nice price" clinic, then I did my repair HT at HDC clinic in Cyprus, which I am very happy about!

Currently I am the representative of HDC clinic and Darling Buds of Dr. Bahatti in India, you are welcome to consult with me in private, your donor looks great 👍 

You can read on my procedures here:

Also there is a YouTube link on my signature.

 


Doron Harati - Hair transplet offical international representor of HDC (Cyprus), Darling Buds (India), HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

Feel free to contact me: WhatsApp +9726542654\ Mail: Doronstar546@gmail.com

My own HT story: https://youtu.be/K4x1KLZhWS0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, home1212 said:

looks like you need another mega-session based on the balding area that needs to be restored, since you've already had an FUT procedure, I would look into that again to yield as many grafts as possible - Dr. Blake Bloxham, Konior, Shapiro, Hasson & Wong, Dr. Cooley, Dr. Gabel - just a few I would be researching and talking with

@home1212 I've been told that FUE can yield same amount as FUT.   Is that not the case?  I'll take a look at those doctors.  When you mean mega session, do you think 4000 grafts won't be enough? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 5:53 AM, rhstoned said:

For India, Soni said i would also need 4000 grafts but max 2500 via FUE and 1500 grafts with FUT.  This was the first time i was introduced by a doctor of combining FUT+FUE.  I'm not looking to have a 2nd linear scar.

You wouldnt have a 2nd linear scar for FUT - they would go in through the first one. I personally dont get the point of doing both extraction methods at the same time as it seems more logical to exhaust FUT before pursuing FUE. If you were considering that clinic Id want to know the reasoning behind that.

In regards to yield differences I remember reading something by Bloxham where he put the difference somewhere as high as up to 20% (ill try and find it if i can), but ofc that number is ultimately going to come down to surgeon skills. For top surgeons the difference is probably negligible. 

Stay away from Bhatti - hes not even recommended here after a number of bad incidents with patients (including blackmail).

Pekiner likes using beard grafts - idk why. Most docs like exhausting scalp hair first as beard hair doesnt have the same characteristics as scalp hair. I believe there are even different growth rates between the two.

4000 grafts seems a reasonable number to get good coverage of that area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your donor region looks good. I would consider a large FUT. Look into Dr. Hasson or Dr. Wong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Doron Harati said:

Hi @rhstoned, I myself had 2 procedures, first one was a failed FUE in a Turkish "nice price" clinic, then I did my repair HT at HDC clinic in Cyprus, which I am very happy about!

Currently I am the representative of HDC clinic and Darling Buds of Dr. Bahatti in India, you are welcome to consult with me in private, your donor looks great 👍 

You can read on my procedures here:

Also there is a YouTube link on my signature.

 

@Doron Harati  Wow what a huge turnaround for you man! I'll definitely take a look into Dr. Maras.  Congrats on the improvement!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

You wouldnt have a 2nd linear scar for FUT - they would go in through the first one. I personally dont get the point of doing both extraction methods at the same time as it seems more logical to exhaust FUT before pursuing FUE. If you were considering that clinic Id want to know the reasoning behind that.

In regards to yield differences I remember reading something by Bloxham where he put the difference somewhere as high as up to 20% (ill try and find it if i can), but ofc that number is ultimately going to come down to surgeon skills. For top surgeons the difference is probably negligible. 

Stay away from Bhatti - hes not even recommended here after a number of bad incidents with patients (including blackmail).

Pekiner likes using beard grafts - idk why. Most docs like exhausting scalp hair first as beard hair doesnt have the same characteristics as scalp hair. I believe there are even different growth rates between the two.

4000 grafts seems a reasonable number to get good coverage of that area. 

 @transplantedphil I passed on bhatti after i found out he uses motor extraction and i saw some bad cases of donor areas out of his clinic.  

My concern with a 2nd FUT is if the linear scar becomes even more noticeable as its a little thick on my right side.  I figured if the yield is the same as FUE with a talented surgeon, it may be better?  Especially if its DHI method with direct implantation.  

@Silent1234 Appreciate it man.  I've been coming across hasson and dr wong on here lately.  I'll check them out 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@rhstoned feel free to contact me, DR. Maras uses manual FUE, will show you my donor compare to what Arenamed in Turkey did to me.

Dr. Maras took most of my grafts from the sides of my head, where Arenamed did't touch.

But I must tell that using motorized punch isn't a bad thing necessarily, even HDC use it sometimes, there are kinds of motorized punches and pro level clinics use them for very thick hair like 0.9-1.0 mm depends on other elements too, manual punch is mostly commonly use.

20190705_131356.jpg

20200113_172225.jpg


Doron Harati - Hair transplet offical international representor of HDC (Cyprus), Darling Buds (India), HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

Feel free to contact me: WhatsApp +9726542654\ Mail: Doronstar546@gmail.com

My own HT story: https://youtu.be/K4x1KLZhWS0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO strip is the way to go, you have a large area and you’re gonna need as many grafts as possible. 


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should definately stick with FUT as there's a lot of real estate to cover, unless there is a contra-indication like a tight scalp.


4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

My results thread from 1st procedure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Melvin-Moderator  @1978matt

I didn't even consider doing FUT again but I got 4 guys on here recommending FUT for my case.   I'm hearing that DHI / stick and place provides greater yield because grafts aren't sitting outside as long and the incisions won't remain open for long.  Wouldn't that method provide better yield than FUT due to that? Also, isn't there a limit to how many grafts a doctor can take during an FUT session?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rhstoned said:

@Melvin-Moderator  @1978matt

I'm hearing that DHI / stick and place provides greater yield because grafts aren't sitting outside as long and the incisions won't remain open for long.  Wouldn't that method provide better yield than FUT due to that?

That's marketing spin.  FUT was studied in the early 90s as to graft survival and was found to still be very good even after 6-8 hours out of the body.  That was even before more novel holding solutions were developed which likely increase it further.

Myself and the others are thinking more in terms of your lifetime number of grafts available.  I have had around 8000 hairs from strip and 5000 from FUE.  I can noticeably see my donor density has decreased from the FUE.  I'm not convinced I could have got 13000 hairs from FUE alone, without seriously compromoising the donor area.

As things stand, I still probably have another 3000 or so left in the bank.  Perhaps even more if i went FUT again, then a small FUE.

  • Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

My results thread from 1st procedure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rhstoned said:

@Melvin-Moderator  @1978matt

I didn't even consider doing FUT again but I got 4 guys on here recommending FUT for my case.   I'm hearing that DHI / stick and place provides greater yield because grafts aren't sitting outside as long and the incisions won't remain open for long.  Wouldn't that method provide better yield than FUT due to that? Also, isn't there a limit to how many grafts a doctor can take during an FUT session?  

You need A LOT of grafts moved in one single setting, the best way to do this is with FUT hands down. If you needed a small touch up then FUE would be the way to go. 

Don’t pay too much attention to graft placement techniques, what you should concern yourself is the quality of the results. I’ve seen some black market FUE clinics pride themselves on providing DHI but their results are garbage. 


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@1978matt Got it.  So you would do FUT because you can take more grafts in a single session without compromising the donor.  You got 8000 grafts out in a single session?  What is the most you can take out from a single FUT session?   How does your donor look after that many grafts taken out and multiple FUTs?  I get that the Dr can use the same scar but could the scar become more noticeable?  Any FUT Doctors you can recommend in Europe? 

@Melvin-Moderator How many grafts do you think i would need?  Dr Ferreira said he can do 4000 grafts for me with FUE then touch up 5 months later and repair donor.  

I also heard back from Dr. Pekiner i would need 4000 grafts but 2000 from BHT.  Not looking to do BHT for my next HT unless if i really needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×