Sideburns Hair Grafts in Hairline Possible or Not ?

HI Guys,

So  I am out of Scalp Hair Donor Area. I wish to do some filling up of gaps which are still visible in my frontal hairline.I wanted to know how much doable is the idea of Putting Some Hair grafts from the Side Burns into the frontal Hairline area ? Do they survive ? How is their Anagen Life ? I believe there should be no problem as far as blending in is concerned as they almost resemble the same quality and texture as that of Scalp Hair. 

Any thoughts on this ?

3 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

How about using chest hair? That closely resembles scalp hair and can be used in hairlines. 

I have been told Sideburn Hair are more close to the texture of the Scalp Hair and have a longer Anagen Life than Chest Hair ? Though I may be wrong Maybe some one here like @gillenator or @mattj or @Melvin-Moderator can confirm on this ?

• Moderators

Use beard hair from under your chin if you have hair in that area. It grows well and you won't easily see any scarring as it's under your chin.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

It depends where on the sideburns, as the lower it goes, it’s essentially beard hair. Have you tried beard hair?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I think for most individuals that the characteristics of their sideburn hair is closely resembled to their scalp hair, however as Melvin mentioned, where does it transition to beard hair?...undoubtedly, it's going to vary between individuals.

I think the best way to differentiate is by the degree of coarseness between the sideburn hair and the beard hair as beard hair is usually much coarser.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

8 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

It depends where on the sideburns, as the lower it goes, it’s essentially beard hair. Have you tried beard hair?

8 hours ago, gillenator said:

I think for most individuals that the characteristics of their sideburn hair is closely resembled to their scalp hair, however as Melvin mentioned, where does it transition to beard hair?...undoubtedly, it's going to vary between individuals.

I think the best way to differentiate is by the degree of coarseness between the sideburn hair and the beard hair as beard hair is usually much coarser.

I was reading an article online Posted by a Hair Transplant Doctor and he talked about re-building hairline. He was of the Opinion, By Saying that Ideally besides Scalp Hair the best Hair to rebuild Hairline would be Nape Hair but if even that is not available then the attention should shift to Sidelocks he says Sidelocks can have a better Anagen Life (Meaning they can grow as long as Scalp Hair before going into Telogen Phase) But they can be short lived. He said Beard Hair is generally not a good choice because it gives a very Coarse, Wiry look to the Hairline which is not welcomed by many patients. So After Nape Hair and Sidelocks he says next in line would be Chest Hair now the thing with chest hair is they have a shorter Anagen Life but can be Permanent, he said that once the Chest Hair Shifts Position from Chest to Scalp they also tend to change their characteristics and adapt to the same characreistics (Not Texture) As the Scalp Hair, meaning the Life Cycle that they follow.

Finally he concluded that My Choice of Hair Grafts to build hairline besides Scalp Hair would be Sidelocks But...But..One has to asses individual history and situation and then take a call. If one has noticed Miniaturization in the Sidelocks Area and there has been a family history of people not having Hair near Sidelocks  then it would not be a good choice, then it would come to Chest Hair.

@Melvin-Moderator @gillenator My question to both of you would be if someone says that Chest Hair do not have Longer Anagen Life it only means they will not grown in Length as much as Scalp Hair and will fall soon, but that does not mean they will diminish and never grow back right ? 

Edited by augustya

The fact is...there has not been enough imperative studies to conclusively support either position (length of anagen period or chest hair length).

I have a completely different position on nape hair because in some cases it does not survive because not all nape hair is terminal hair.

Using sideburn donor is fine IMHO, but obviously very limited as a donor source...still, if it's thick, why not use it?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 6/27/2020 at 2:54 AM, gillenator said:

Using sideburn donor is fine IMHO, but obviously very limited as a donor source...still, if it's thick, why not use it?

Yes the number of Hair Grafts harvested from Sideburns could be very limited and few, but as in my case I would need only anther 200-300 so I am thinking to use it, if they guarantee long term survival.

Do you think you have that many to harvest?...I hope that you do and BTW, I have never had anyone tell me that they lost sideburn hair due to MPB so IMHO, I do not think you would lose it once transplanted...hope this works well for you.

Gillenator

8 hours ago, gillenator said:

Do you think you have that many to harvest?...I hope that you do and BTW, I have never had anyone tell me that they lost sideburn hair due to MPB so IMHO, I do not think you would lose it once transplanted...hope this works well for you.

I know I was getting over ambitious when I said maybe 200-300 could be harvested from Sideburns 😄 Yes Realistically maybe 50 each side so 100 in total or best case scenario 200 Tops. What do you think ? How much can a Sideburn yield ?

Well that's going to vary between individuals as some guys have thick wide sideburns and some like myself do not.

Also, most sideburn hair grows in single hair FUs so it may work well with commencing a hairline...yet as we know single hair grafts do not produce as much visual coverage as multi-hair bearing grafts.

Gillenator