Dr. Reddy 1000/1200 grafts FUE hairline - 29y/o

timcfc

I agree with a lot of that @1978matt . I am aware & prepared for the potential for follow up procedures as I age. I agree completely, and would definitely prefer a less aggressive design and like others have mentioned, to follow my existing hairline rather than seeking perfection. Tbh, I would be happy with it not even being lowered, just to fill in the more recessed areas like in the below pic. Forgive the crappy drawing below, it's the best I could do to illustrate what I think is suitable. This is also a more recent photo where I believe demonstrates that fin has done a good job at improving my density as the smaller 'fluffy' hairs were non existent 7 months ago.

image.thumb.png.b13ab861fd467babe96edcd851fb0922.png

To update everyone else, I spoke to the clinic today and I will be seeing the surgeon directly next Monday. He has been mentioned in this thread. I feel it's fair to give him a chance to explain the previous photos before I throw them under the bus.

image.png

Edited by timcfc

• 2 weeks later...

I cant believe the number of times that we advise people that badly designed hairlines can lead to a lifetime of regret.

In situations like this, i personally would question why surgery would even be considered.Sometimes things are just better left as they are and this would seem to exemplify this comment.

Mick

• Like 1

Patient coordinator for Dr. Bessam Farjo who is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

@transplantedphil

I spoke with Dr Reddy, he said it was too low. I showed him the original photographs and suggestions of the designs posted in this thread. He suggested a couple of options. One of which was to just concentrate on the receded areas and that the middle area might need little to no grafts (not lowering the hairline at all, essentially). This is more aligned in what I am looking for I feel - increased hairline density and to fill the receded areas (instead of a perfect new & lowered hairline). I have some photographs which I will try to upload tomorrow.

Edited by timcfc

Photos attached. This was, if I remember rightly, an example of what he thought was the lowest. Like I wrote above, he then suggested we might not even need to go this low, especially in the middle area.

image.png.4eb0d39861dc61ef2da0ad58e9f72717.png

image.png.628ce6cf47f3260771e19fda3586d585.png

image.png.8ca350375c9461a281df509cde235a11.png

Looks better.  You might want to consider if the central portion can be dropped a little, but it is hard to say without seeing a side on photo. 

Ideally you want the line to cross the point where your forhead transitions from vertical to horizontal.  That will give an optimal illusion of a 'low' hairline.

image.png

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Yeah I think I would go with more of a dip in the centre which gives less of a flatter hairline. Easy for me to say though, as I don't know what level of baldness you could reach in the future. Sometimes you have to accept a flatter and higher hairline if theres a risk of running out of donor. 

Anyway a lot to think about with the doc on your surgery day. 

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Administrators

Mate how old are you? I would hold off surgery for a while, your hair looks good.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Mate how old are you? I would hold off surgery for a while, your hair looks good.

Heading says 29 year old.  I do agree there should be no rush to get anything done. He’s good for now. 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Heading says 29 year old.  I do agree there should be no rush to get anything done. He’s good for now. 

Ahh missed that, my advice is still the same.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

6 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Ahh missed that, my advice is still the same.

I understand this is far from a severe case, but it is something I've considered for a long time as I've always had a naturally high / receded hairline. I understand my age is a big factor, and that there is high potential for further loss down the line leading to more procedures. Hopefully it won't be any time soon however. If my family history is anything to go by anyway, which luckily isn't that bad for hair loss. Most of the males just suffer increased thinning rather than further recession or complete balding. I'd say my 65 y/o father is probably not too much more recessed than I am (hairline wise) and still has strong donor areas.

• Administrators

Here’s a good example of a guy who looked worse after the hair transplant. He had a perfectly normal hairline before, the hairline he got didn’t match his ethnicity. Caucasians on average have higher hairline with angular temples.

Men of African descent have straighter hairlines with square temples, most wouldn’t know why his hairline doesn’t look natural, but they would just know it isn’t, and that’s the reason.

image.jpeg

View my thread

7 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Here’s a good example of a guy who looked worse after the hair transplant. He had a perfectly normal hairline before, the hairline he got didn’t match his ethnicity. Caucasians on average have higher hairline with angular temples.

Men of African descent have straighter hairlines with square temples, most wouldn’t know why his hairline doesn’t look natural, but they would just know it isn’t, and that’s the reason.

image.jpeg

Did he actually get that done? It looks like a lego. I don't know if you saw the revised mockups I posted, but I don't intend on having anything as dramatic as what that guy had OR what I posted in the OP

Of course you do not NEED a transplant but with a great clinic you can have a great result. I understand the desire. But your risk to benefit ratio is very poor, therefore you need the best available clinic. Even with an average clinic you might look worse than before. You should also think that your current hairstyle might not be possible any more as your donor does not allow buzzing that low. 

Hairline is a mix of math and art, and art is subjective. However, I do not like the new hairline design from the pictures. It is way to round and aggressive on the sides and your temple points do not match this aggressive corners. Also you do not always had a receded hairline, you have a big forehead, which can be seen easily seen from the wrinkles. Your new hairline almost touches your forehead wrinkles...that is not a good design. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

Of course you do not NEED a transplant but with a great clinic you can have a great result. I understand the desire. But your risk to benefit ratio is very poor, therefore you need the best available clinic. Even with an average clinic you might look worse than before. You should also think that your current hairstyle might not be possible any more as your donor does not allow buzzing that low. 

Hairline is a mix of math and art, and art is subjective. However, I do not like the new hairline design from the pictures. It is way to round and aggressive on the sides and your temple points do not match this aggressive corners. Also you do not always had a receded hairline, you have a big forehead, which can be seen easily seen from the wrinkles. Your new hairline almost touches your forehead wrinkles...that is not a good design. 

In terms of design, so I fully understand what you're saying, are you suggesting less curvature on the sides and higher in the middle (similar to below?)

image.png.932ab10da10ac0b8b14baf58592eeb59.png

image.png.03d58063565c964ead052df4f49b229d.png

17 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

so are you still going ahead with surgery this month?

Yes, my conversation with Dr Reddy was very reassuring. I will post picture updates as and when.

50 minutes ago, transplantedphil said:

Were you given a projected graft estimate and are you happy with the new hairline design? 

Did they mention your donor capacity/donor densities and did they project your future NW level (you mentioned there was signs of thinning in the crown).

Also did the clinic say anything about your sides to fin and reassess a long term strategy based on that?

Personally opinion here (and even putting that joke of a hairline aside) I'd still argue to hold off for surgery in your case; I dont think the rewards are worth the risks at this stage. But as you seem keen on surgery and have asked people here for our opinion, Id at least want to know what kind of long term plan you have in place based specifically on your estimated donor capacity and future balding.

The graft estimate was 1000 give or take 10%. He was very insistent on medication (pre and post procedure) and I recall him mentioning they advise the vast majority of younger cases like myself to come back a year later because they haven't explored this route enough.

He was aware from the notes in my 1st of 3 consultations at TPC way way back with a different surgeon that I had been on Fin & Min for some time. I mentioned I was taking 1mg fin for 6-7 months before the first (very mild) sides began. Having said that, I'm not entirely convinced it is fin related as it was not the best time of my life. Of course, I resumed it since then and experimenting with milder dosage levels with no sides as of yet - they seemed fine with this approach. I found The Hair Loss Show really beneficial for information on this. I was definitely not happy with the original design, nor was he when I showed the images on my laptop. The design he drew was better and I am more happy with that (perhaps a little less aggressive on the temple curve as pointed out by another poster)

My long term plan is to continue Fin (eventually start Minox post procedure but probably just on the crown) and try to sustain what I have. Based on my family history, it seems inevitable of further loss & thinning of the crown throughout my late 30s & 40s. Having said that, none of my family have used medication so hopefully I can buy a few more years. However, whilst I am aware there is mild thinning of my crown, I feel the complete opposite about that compared to my hairline in terms of going down the surgical route. (Never say never though, I am aware people catch the bug after the first procedure :))

Edited by timcfc

Bit of an update.

Firstly, thanks to everyone that posted & helped with giving feedback of the hairline.

Having had follow up convos with Dr Reddy himself, I decided to go ahead with the procedure. The overall experience with the clinic has been mixed, having had multiple calls & f2f consultations with different people and surgeons, finally before getting through to Dr Reddy. They seemed very reluctant to put me with him back at Christmas time because of his backlog. Having said all that, my decision to go ahead with this procedure was always because of Dr Reddy & his team, not The Private Clinic.

With that being said, here's some photos of my recovery so far :). The procedure went really well, no pain at all except with the injections but I'm generally ok with them so it wasn't the worst. Dr Reddy & his team were fantastic and chatted to me throughout the entire procedure.

Day 0 - Donor shaven & hairline drawn

image.png.fe904e70619f68eba83518c3713fce91.png 

image.png.dcf5f27901cea31b84536377da675673.png

Started extraction of back middle & side left. .8 manual punch used. I believe a .9 punch was also used in places as there was some difficulty extracting with .8

image.png.5b472911bb4527dacfed74b80e4f1749.png

image.png.f6ba2aed27b8819ab3d6f688138283af.png

Right side was extracted in the afternoon, after back middle & side left grafts were placed into hairline. A lot more bleeding in this extraction?

image.png.1f638a68b83cbc4c2fe46477b685d788.png

80% complete if I remember correctly, there were 2 hours to go at this point.

My hairline has mixed angles, the right side are angled horizontally away and the left side are straight down which I guess explains the waviness. 

image.png.c12e6c3ca24b621f73eea3ad5ef0567f.png

image.png.a2576536df2e491dc124f916d8ed6ed7.png

image.png.17de7d5327fbe6534cfda05be6a331c8.png

First few days of recovery, the redness gives a nice illusion of where my hairline will be. Enjoying this whilst I can before the shedding begins.

The itchyness was the worst part of recovery so far. The saline spray helped a lot though. No pain whatsoever and not needed painkillers at all.

image.png.1c9871ec68d393bcc22aaa98787bd54e.png

image.thumb.png.2fa488857217e06dc527a9138f34854c.png

Donor looking good already

image.thumb.png.3f42270a4f2115487d40175eae9a9c09.png

Day 4

Hair washed for the first time, and starting to dry. I've tried to cover the recipient area slightly and I think it's barely noticeable after a few days that I've had a HT which is incredible

image.thumb.png.fab78323fe069c1bdaff2125bdbe7a99.png

image.png.46b1ef47dd133eddae3a549f95224d29.png

image.png.8000c65e2d80903c4f9e3e31d4590d6b.png

ignore the below photo, it won't delete from the post editor :/ 

image.png

Edited by timcfc

• 2 weeks later...

1 Week Update (Day 6 & 7 in the below photos)

Scabs nearly all off, quicker than I expected. Recipient area still quite puffy and tender to touch but no pain except when I am washing and get slightly too aggressive with the circular motions with the tips of my fingers. Donor area was the only nuisance, almost a constant dull ache (like a really mild pins & needles). This passed after 2 weeks. Donor area hair growing back slightly patchy in some areas but very difficult to notice unless in certain light. Early days still of course so I will re-evaluate in a few months.

image.png.75857eb9667b4e4525869540c2e84bda.png

image.png.3bbdda0ca72df1697d9fcb5781c8a04d.png

image.png.3d663f2a1575ee5fb11f213e4af3a09f.png

image.png.e6ae77796806c26ffa8933f7db8830e2.png

2 Week Update (Day 15 wet hair, Day 16 with self attempted haircut 😬)

Donor area is going into that 'wispy' phase of growth and it seems the patchyness I mentioned in the previous post is a bit more prominent. Again, no stress here and I'll keep an eye on it up to 3-4 months point. I decided to go down to a zero with the clippers on Day 16 to get an idea of how the skin reacted to the punch holes and fortunately any evidence of FUE at grade zero is not noticable. There is still very slight redness but it is very faint now which is pretty good after 2 weeks!

Day 15 Wet

image.png.26b8b546f25b8ef9f47d6cd18018e066.png

image.png.14c3fbd168122f65756cbc91f7921268.png

image.png.b32691b35bdf43ad47de3e7b8c6c107d.png

Day 15 Dry

image.png.ea4564a94edbab7d90af991e7ba76795.png

Day 16

image.png.5f526cdc420b95580a70e8905a7a5490.png

image.png.467d66ecc35011b6fd2feb2134be8399.png

image.png.d30512f41dfc54995300f26f304f490c.png

Sorry for the quality/focusing of some of those

Edited by timcfc

• Administrators

Who’d you end up going too?

View my thread