Dr. Reddy 1000/1200 grafts FUE hairline - 29y/o

timcfc

👋 first post here

I wanted to make a 'placeholder' thread for my upcoming FUE journey and give something back as this place has been excellent during my extensive research over the past 12 months. I am booked for an FUE procedure this July having been delayed twice now during the COVID-19 lockdown. I believe I may well possibly be the first FUE procedure after the clinics reopening 😄

Clinic

Not to be dramatic, but I would prefer to announce the clinic and surgeon after my procedure in a few weeks. It is a fairly renowned & well respected UK based clinic.

Procedure

3000 hairs - 1000/1200 grafts 

Non-shaven (except donor area, of course)

Medication

I have been on Minox for 2 years. I have been on fin for 6 months. I stopped last month due to sides. I plan on restarting in the coming days with a lesser dosage.

About Me

I have always had a naturally high hairline, even as a child. I have styled my hair with a fringe for nearly most of my adult life and I have done a fairly good job (I think?) at disguising any thinning or hair loss, unless a gust of wind decides to hit me out of nowhere 😂. Over the past few years, I have suffered typical recession along the hairline, predominately on the front left. Thinning is progressively worsening on the crown area too but I was advised back in February to continue medical treatment for this rather than take the surgical route. I had started fin 2 months prior to that, so obviously there were no improvements at that point. Fast forward another 3 months and I have noticed that my hair feels a lot stronger and even has improved density in the crown along with sligh improvement in density in the hairline.

Photo normal style, with hair down

4.thumb.png.11d53b1af31fd81457e7110ce4263db4.png

Photos day of consultation (02/2020)

1.thumb.jpg.a4a085b6b37bae66d74041677fe8569f.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.496a14ad0aee3570a4b51f93411e9044.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.c7f4ce8d732b600eb14cd52f7d2d0d17.jpg

Photos recently (05/2020)

5.thumb.jpg.d56cfd26cd2f111eb789a450b8b695c2.jpg

06/20 

6.thumb.jpg.1689cdb41b05cccd3502500f45429974.jpg

My ideal outcome is to have a more natural & dense looking hairline, hopefully giving me the confidence to have a hair cut where I don't require a fringe. The hair line design was a rough example which the consultant drew. Any feedback on this would be appreciated! I also had a consultation with a different surgeon, and his drawing was slightly higher. I felt better about this design posted above however. Along with the several examples posted on this forum of the surgeons excellent work, I am very excited for my procedure! (and a little nervous of course).

• Like 1

I've actually just had to return to this thread for my own conscience getting the better of me, and I felt I was too 'polite' with my first reply to this thread, but this is actually a truly awful hairline design, and it would bring into question who the dr and clinic are. Please for your own benefit provide the forum with the details of the surgeon and clinic, and as a community we can help steer you in the right direction. 
I've seen many people with your level of recession going ahead and getting work done, also without meds, so personally I don't feel that is too much of an issue, however as long as its in the right surgeons hands! 
I'm guessing if you can afford UK surgery, there are plenty better options for you nearby, or even in the UK if you dont want to travel (Dr Reddy, Dr Ball). 

• Like 1

+1 This hairline design shows only one thing: Run from this clinic. Otherwise this will cost you a lot of additional money and years of pain for a repair. I would recommend to have a consultation with an actual surgeon in one of the top clinics in Belgium: Feriduni, Lupanzula or Bisanga.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. It is not disrespectful and is exactly why I wanted to post here. Like I said, I would rather wait until after the procedure to name the clinic, however I am a little surprised as it is a top UK surgeon and one highly recommended by this forum. He did insist the hair line would be properly designed, measured & photographed out on the day. I will contact them to express doubt over the design in the photographs and see if something can be arranged before my procedure so that I can get feedback once more.

I was on min twice daily & fin every day when I had the consultation. It is only in the last month I noticed sides. I wanted to clear it out of my system before re-starting with a lower dosage. I have no intention of stopping fin and will continue to experiment with dosage until I find the right balance.

The consultation was normal and similar to all the consultations I've seen on YT & forums (apart from the drawing, clearly). He was initially relucant given my age and level of loss, and stressed the importance of trying medication first, which I had been doing. He asked what my ideal outcome was, to which I mentioned improving my hairline and crown. He strongly advised against the latter given my stage of loss and potential for further loss and likely hood of minimal improvement with a filling the gaps approach. He asked about my family history, luckily we don't have complete baldness, just further thinning & recession of the temples and crown. He suggested a  less amount of hairs for the hairline, saying 900/1000 grafts would achieve a fantastic result, however increasing this to 1000/1200 for further density was an option too.

I am aware my particular case at this moment in time is relatively minor compared to a lot which you see, this is purely a cosmetical improvement decision to get on the front foot in regards to my loss and naturally high hairline whilst I am still fairly young. Similar to some of these recent 'influencer' people: Alex Beattie, Dom Lever & Mike Thurston.

Edited by timcfc

13 minutes ago, Mr S said:

The clinic in question isn’t KSL by any chance... the weird hairline design looks suspect. Check out the below and steer well clear if it is.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/KSLHAIRTHETRUTH/photos/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

No it isn't. Like I said, it's a highly recommended clinic on this forum (top 3 in the UK), hence the surprise. I have faith in this clinic to make it right, the surgeon's reputation & results are unquestionable so my priority now is to ensure I am prepared with the right information going forward :) 

Edited by timcfc
  • Like 1

You asked for help and our opinion. This is it:

- Pics can be misleading, but the hairline we see is questions by anyone who posted in your thread. From my opinion it will make you a 15 k repair patient. There are several results in here from people who went this route and had grafts punched out.

- There are some UK clinics on the recommended list here (do not know how many), but the general opinion of the forum seems that even the best clinics in the UK are sub-par to international level (mediocre quality, highly priced,...). If that is correct or not I do not want to comment on, but it seems the general opinion of the forum if you look in the discussion here. It is also telling that almost no one ever post results from this clinics who is not from the UK itself. 

My advice is always to have F2F consultation with the surgeon (! not a consultant) first and have pics form your hairline. Then you have time to see if you like it or not. This is not a haircut. It is everlasting if you do not go for a repair. I recommend again to contact another (or actually: contact a surgeon) surgeon before you have this surgery. This is the only head you have. 

Edited by Gasthoerer
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

You asked for help and our opinion. This is it:

- Pics can be misleading, but the hairline we see is questions by anyone who posted in your thread. From my opinion it will make you a 15 k repair patient. There are several results in here from people who went this route and had grafts punched out.

- There are some UK clinics on the recommended list here (do not know how many), but the general opinion of the forum seems that even the best clinics in the UK are sub-par to international level (mediocre quality, highly priced,...). If that is correct or not I do not want to comment on, but it seems the general opinion of the forum if you look in the discussion here. It is also telling that almost no one ever post results from this clinics who is not from the UK itself. 

My advice is always to have F2F consultation with the surgeon (! not a consultant) first and have pics form your hairline. Then you have time to see if you like it or not. This is not a haircut. It is everlasting of you do not go for a repair. I recommend again to contact another (or actually: contact a surgeon) surgeon before you have this surgery. This is the only head you have. 

And I appreciate your opinions immensely :) None of this is by any means final and I am utilising any feedback I receive to quite literally shape the design & outcome. It is clear an error was made in the consultation, or it was rushed, or enough time was not spent to properly discuss a suitable design. I will keep you guys up to date on what's happening.

I think the take away that you need to focus on, is that you need to place more weight onto the severity of this ‘error’ as you put it , as this hairline design is so grossly unnatural, incorrect, and quite frankly bizarre . . It straight away flags the clinics incompetence in something which should be quite a basic step of the whole process itself. 

Put in another vote for avoid this clinic like the plague and look elsewhere. This hairline is an absolute disaster and any clinic that even in consultation would consider this is worth avoiding.

It can be lower and more youthful with less recession than some in this thread are posting, but your design is a female hairline.

Look at hairline clinics like that of Dr. Freitas in Spain, if you have the money for a U.K. clinic then you have much better options. Perhaps too far to travel but Hasson in Canada does probably the most youthful and dense hairlines globally.

This clinic doesn’t deserve your time or money. I wouldn’t consult them further.

• Like 1

Personally dont think you need  a hair transplant, you have a similar hairline to Phillip Coutinho and im guessing a pretty good looking guy. That hairline looks like a KSL one. The curve is femine and having coarse hair next to temple hair wouldnt look right,

So if I was you knowing what I do know now, it would probably be worth looking at different hairstyles.  A hair transplant feels like it opens up new hair styles but it doesnt it actually restricts how you have your hair. Faded look might not work after a hair transplant even a small one.

Just remember any celebrity gets a free or heavily reduced price transplant (Nothing against this or the doctors) so for them its basically zero risk. Alex and Mike stick to the same hair cuts as they had before so it really hasn't changed there look. 

4 hours ago, 1978matt said:

pic.jpg.580e08562cffaa114e3724fe26fc96c3.jpg

Thank you for this mockup. And @transplantedphil

3 hours ago, JayLDD said:

Put in another vote for avoid this clinic like the plague and look elsewhere. This hairline is an absolute disaster and any clinic that even in consultation would consider this is worth avoiding.

It can be lower and more youthful with less recession than some in this thread are posting, but your design is a female hairline.

Look at hairline clinics like that of Dr. Freitas in Spain, if you have the money for a U.K. clinic then you have much better options. Perhaps too far to travel but Hasson in Canada does probably the most youthful and dense hairlines globally.

This clinic doesn’t deserve your time or money. I wouldn’t consult them further.

I'm not keen on travelling for this and I am ok paying the UK tax. It is perfect time for me now as well given I am able to work from home and won't be returning to the office until October.

6 minutes ago, Badhairman1 said:

Personally dont think you need  a hair transplant, you have a similar hairline to Phillip Coutinho and im guessing a pretty good looking guy. That hairline looks like a KSL one. The curve is femine and having coarse hair next to temple hair wouldnt look right,

So if I was you knowing what I do know now, it would probably be worth looking at different hairstyles.  A hair transplant feels like it opens up new hair styles but it doesnt it actually restricts how you have your hair. Faded look might not work after a hair transplant even a small one.

Just remember any celebrity gets a free or heavily reduced price transplant (Nothing against this or the doctors) so for them its basically zero risk. Alex and Mike stick to the same hair cuts as they had before so it really hasn't changed there look. 

I should probably have expanded on that sentence but it is not just about style. I would be happy even keeping the same style (with fringe) even after the transplant. For me, it's about the confidence and improving upon something which has for most of my life been an issue to me.

I intend on contacting the clinic with this information tomorrow. I want to find out from the surgeon why this was done, especially given his reputation.

28 minutes ago, timcfc said:

I'm not keen on travelling for this and I am ok paying the UK tax. 

Almost everything is said and done, but this: This is one of the typical beginners mistakes. People travel for holiday or even a shopping weekend around the world. But for a life altering procedure UK to Brussels is too big of a hurdle 🤔

Good luck and keep us update. 

Edited by Gasthoerer

For anyone who's done their research, no UK clinic ever really makes it on to the "wish list".........closest IMO is Dr.Ball at Maitland Clinic who seems to do good work.........but never seen him on anyones Top 5 in the world list....or the home run threads you see from Hasson, Konior, Couto, Wesley, Bisanga etc.

Look at the list of British celebs/sports stars with crappy/weak HT's and you'll see what convenience gets you - they've unlimited resources yet they end up with average / below average results (Wayne Rooney etc.).....look at the spanish/italian footballers playing in England who got their HT done "at home" on the continent - David Silva, Antonio Conte etc......outstanding results no doubt done by Dr.Couto, Bisanga, Lupa etc.

Your hairless is minimal..........I would argue that counterintuitively this places you in much higher risk category for a bad HT outcome than say a NW4-5, where any framing/coverage could be deemed an improvement over base case for them. For you - a poor density outcome, bad graft placement, hairline design at such a low point in the hairline and I can guarantee you your mates / girls will spot a mile away that you've had something "done". This is why I consider your choice to be a much more high risk one than someone with more severe loss looking to get back to a modest NW3 let's say.

Easyjet/Ryanair will fly you to some of the best surgeons in the world for 50 quid in under 2.5hrs.......you'll also have nice European city break before/after.......you can come back in a year & thank everyone here for saving you time/money and stopping you from taking the lazy/convenient option.......for a lifetime appearance altering elective cosmetic surgery it doesn't make sense to be lazy...................whatever you get done is gonna be on your head for the next 50 years (think about that).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, timcfc said:

Thank you for this mockup. And @transplantedphil

I'm not keen on travelling for this and I am ok paying the UK tax. It is perfect time for me now as well given I am able to work from home and won't be returning to the office until October.

I should probably have expanded on that sentence but it is not just about style. I would be happy even keeping the same style (with fringe) even after the transplant. For me, it's about the confidence and improving upon something which has for most of my life been an issue to me.

I intend on contacting the clinic with this information tomorrow. I want to find out from the surgeon why this was done, especially given his reputation.

I place emphasize on this and think most would agree, it’s not merely about a U.K. tax, the surgeons there aren’t at the level of others including in Europe globally. The difference between even top surgeons is large. 

This is a serious surgical procedure,  when saying you just want to improve your confidence you’re drastically oversimplifying what you’re engaging in. The hairline they drew would have quite made you a repair patient if they performed the surgery as such. 

If you are looking for confidence, then travel for a surgeon like Freitas in Spain who will most likely make your hairline look like an art piece. Understand clearly you can come out looking worse even with legitimate surgeons.

I agree with all the comments above, the hairline does not look good, looks feminine, sorry man, just being honest. A more appropriate hairline would be an angular one that follows your current shape or a slightly v-shaped hairline. 

That said, I think your current hair looks very good, I would hold off on a procedure until you see more loss as your frontal hair is still in the process of miniaturization by the looks of it so if you get an HT in the hairline now you may end up having to play catch up later. Good luck.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 9:59 AM, timcfc said:

No it isn't. Like I said, it's a highly recommended clinic on this forum (top 3 in the UK), hence the surprise. I have faith in this clinic to make it right, the surgeon's reputation & results are unquestionable so my priority now is to ensure I am prepared with the right information going forward :) 

But there aren’t 3 good clinics in the U.K. 🤔 

dr ball, dr reddy... that’s it, the rest suck! 

if you’re determined to do it in the U.K. these are the only two I’d consider but you’re best chance at getting a good result (and probably saving money as well) would be to go outside the U.K. (I don’t mean turkey or India) 

4 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Farjo, Reddy and Ball... the only 3 in uk anyone should consider. 

I’d take Farjo off the list tbh, based off personal experience they are vastly overrated. If you can find 3 outstanding results posted by the clinic themselves I’ll take it back, but seriously check their best results in the clinic posted results and they really are nothing to write home about. Add to that the fact that they charge top dollar and it’s and automatic avoid for me but that’s just my opinion... all be it based on a poor surgical result form them over 10 years ago and having to get repaired the following year. But check out their own website there are zero home run results imo 

Unless I'm mistaken, the doctor here is Dr Reddy(?)

It appears the consultant is not great at drawing hairlines but then again he/she is not the doctor.  I really dislike the way the temples swoop down like that - you see a lot of that coming out of Turkey with a few exceptions of course.

timcfc, I think you just need to weigh up the following, which you may have already done so:

You have thinning throughout the top, so be prepared to embark on another 1 or 2 HTs in the next 5-10 years.

On the hairline area, you almost have to accept that the first 1.5cm of existing hairs will be permanently lost.  So the doctor should recreate the entire area rather than trying to work new hairs inbetween weak hairs.

I would suggest a hairline that follows a similar path to what you have now, with some slight recession into the temples.  Fortunately you aren't really more than a NW2 at the moment so it is a good 'age appropriate' look.  The hairline might be able to be dropped slightly but hard to say without viewing your facial proportions and profile.

It looks like you have a good 'wave to your hair' which provides better coverage than for the average person.

Good luck.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Make that 2 to consider then ... although I’m living in the UK and I choose to travel for mine. 
Once the lockdown is over I will be travelling again. Farjo used to have a good reputation. I have seen many results, maybe they are cherry picked. 
In my experience anybody In the Uk is charging top dollar.

I'm guessing its with Farjo, as this site only recommends Reddy and Farjo from the UK, and Reddy always consults himself. Having said that, I'm still surprised at that as I over the years I gathered Farjo was conservative and wouldn't touch a case like you, let alone sign up to giving you a feminine NW0. 
Contact the decent European clinics, and you will be surprised, I'm pretty sure they'l be able to fit you in, in July - what with all the disruption and cancellations. 
Belgium - Feriduni, Bisanga, Lupanzula
Spain - Lorenzo, De Freitas, Couto, 
Turkey - Keser (he's historically reknown for cases such as yours, however I haven't heard or seen much from his work on here recently) 

Book online zoom consultations, agree a date, fly out the day before, have an in person consultation just to make sure everything is ok, 1200-1800 grafts later, you'l be returning home with money left over, and a much better hairline to last you a lifetime. 

• Like 1