Graft to Hair Ratio

Hi - I had an FUT operation back in 2009 (1671 grafts with 4303 hairs, 2.57x ratio). I had a second FUT last week with 2479 grafts but only 4800 hairs (1.93x ratio). I was 28 when I had my first procedure and 39 currently. Is it common to see graft to hair ratio degrade overtime? 

This website is great btw - I’ve posted some pictures and more about my story on my profile. 

• Moderators

The first FUT they are able to take a strip from the best possible donor. On the next one the donor that was above or below the first FUT may not have been quite as good. You had more grafts done on the 2nd one, so I wonder if they went a bit wider and further forward in the sides. If so that can lower the hair count as the sides are usually lower quality than the back. Keep in mind a 2.57 ratio is very high, so it probably should be expected that you weren't going to keep such a high ratio going forward. Overall you are still above 2, so you are still at the average.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

^ Spot on. I know some surgeons will have you believe that going strip does not thin out the donor, but that is not true. After having multiple procedures, regardless if you go FUE or strip, your graft to hair ratio will decrease- this is because you have less donor supply than you had when you first started.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.