Tons of people have done it.  But be careful in the nomenclature. Traditional tattooing implies the eventual discoloration - and the color turning to a purple, red or green depending on the ink used.  You would be better served by SMP which typically uses organic inks which get metabolized by the body. These do not turn colors.  This process, which is done without the use of a local, will need to be repeated down the road.

• Administrators

Check in our SMP section, we have good examples there.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Scar tissue does not hold various forms of ink because in some cases it does not absorb as well...I had some done and the ink spread and discolored.

Then later, some of the area developed some necrosis and I really regretted it....this was not done on my strip scar but on my arm to cover part of an old tattoo.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Valued Contributor

I've had SMP for scars along my hairline and in my donor region. SMP, when performed by a skilled artist works really well in FUE scars as well as even large 'punch graft' scars. Linear scars tend to draw the eye and with SMP they can be significantly improved but they will never make them vanish. Also as @gillenator stated, the ink can spread in linear scars. As SMP starts to break down over time, the strip like scars do become more noticeable, however it can still be a huge improvement to a person's self esteem. If you ever consider SMP then treat it like you would having a hair transplant. Do LOTS of research and don't accept it blindly. All the best.