How many beard hair grafts do I have to donate??

Let me first apologize for the shitty picture quality, but its the best I could do on my smartphone.

Also I'm not asking for an exact number, just a rough estimate.

The hairs are hard to see though, I have partial grey hair

Where I drew the arrow is how far the beard hairs go down to my neck.

The 3rd pic is my chin and just below it

Beard1.jpg

Beard2.jpg

Beard3.jpg

its very hard to give an estimate based on these pics for a few reasons:

1. we cant actually see the beard hair. you mentioned they are gray,
  2. it seems you may have just recently shaved? growing it out a bit would give us a better understanding

where you put the red arrow is probably too far south for a doctor to take from. its possible, but they usually take the bulk of them from directly below the chin.

assuming your density is greater below your jawline as compared to your cheek, and is like most beards I've seen, I'd guess anywhere around 500

5 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

its very hard to give an estimate based on these pics for a few reasons:

1. we cant actually see the beard hair. you mentioned they are gray,
  2. it seems you may have just recently shaved? growing it out a bit would give us a better understanding

where you put the red arrow is probably too far south for a doctor to take from. its possible, but they usually take the bulk of them from directly below the chin.

assuming your density is greater below your jawline as compared to your cheek, and is like most beards I've seen, I'd guess anywhere around 500

How can it be just 500 when the average man has 30,000 beard hairs??  Or did you mean 5,000??

https://www.google.ca/search?as_q=how+many+beard+hairs+average+man%3F&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&tbs=

Edited by Westview

You don't have much of a beard and the arrowed area is the neck which would be avoided.  You don't want scars in a highly visible location.

As for the underside of the chin, i don't know but maybe only 200 at best.  Avoid shaving for a couple of weeks and take some more pics.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

42 minutes ago, Westview said:

first off, I think you are getting confused on beard "hairs" and beard "grafts". these are very different.

second off, you may not be the "average man" ;)

third off, if everyone had 30k or even 5k beard grafts to use, we would see a lot more use of the beard in hair transplants.

You may be able to get upwards to 1000 grafts out of your beard to use for your scalp if you want to totally deplete your beard. But if you want to leave some beard for the future and facial hair, I think you're looking at 500 grafts like I originally stated. Unless you post more pictures indicating a fuller beard

• Administrators

You should let your beard grow out a little more. It’s very hard to see, as you have a light beard and skin. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You should let your beard grow out a little more. It’s very hard to see, as you have a light beard and skin. 

I'm gonna grow it out long and perhaps colour it with that Just for Men stuff so you guys can see better

• 2 weeks later...