Opinions about my hair? + retrograde Alopecia

juann20

Hi, at first sorry for my English, I’m from Spain and I’m 20 yo. Since the start of the lockdown I experienced an excessive hair loss, so I started to worry a lot (as my dad is not bald, but his 2 brothers and dad are. Not bald guys in my moms family though). Since I was 16-17 I’ve had poor density in the sides but I think that now is more obvious (what I think it’s called retrograde alopecia), and I think that my nape has receded a bit. Same with my hairline. I went to a dermatologist and after analysing my hair with a tricoscope she concluded that I don’t have mpb, but she saw that I have excessive hair loss. I think that I have both retrograde and androgenic alopecia, what do you think? Should I start with finasteride + minoxidil? I’ll visit another derm because I’m still very worried. Thanks. 

891E42DB-75C2-4B1B-BC08-24F8F7E059D7.jpeg

AA7E45C7-3731-44A4-97F2-2AB94D519A17.jpeg

EB725D32-ED73-44E6-B588-2213458D48BE.jpeg

D438F59F-51E7-49A5-B9B6-BED6CA7F040F.jpeg

Edited by juann20

Hey man

In my opinion, the hair on your sides does look slightly thin but that could be due to normal hair shed cycle. I would say get a good biotin suppliment, maybe start with Minox foam and give it 6 months before you go the Finasteride route. The rest of your hair on top looks great though.

Edited by CosmoKramer
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Hey man

In my opinion, the hair on your sides does look slightly thin but that could be due to normal hair shed cycle. I would say get a good biotin suppliment, maybe start with Minox foam and give it 6 months before you go the Finasteride route. The rest of your hair on top looks great though.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve been taking a daily pill of Iraltone Aga Plus for a month, but it’s not doing anything I think. The derm said that I’d start to notice results in 2-3 weeks but it has gone worse. 

Edited by juann20

You have zero signs of hair loss. The area above your ears is slightly thinner but that's common and not at all indicative of you having retrograde. I think you're mistaking nape (neck) hair for retrograde alopecia. Your nape hair simply extends very low down your neck. Advice is to stop thinking about hair loss and enjoy your 20's. 

• Thanks 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

On 6/16/2020 at 1:54 AM, ruca2 said:

You have zero signs of hair loss. The area above your ears is slightly thinner but that's common and not at all indicative of you having retrograde. I think you're mistaking nape (neck) hair for retrograde alopecia. Your nape hair simply extends very low down your neck. Advice is to stop thinking about hair loss and enjoy your 20's. 

Thanks man

• Administrators

Everyone has lowe density on the sides, the hair on the nape and sided is also finer, which can make it look balding when it’s short. I don’t see anything concerning.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.