BHT abdominal hair - vertex question

Hello to all,

I already had 2 transplants with a lot of amount of body hair (1800 grafts from beard, 1200 grafts from chest, 2500 grafts from head) but also had already some miniaturization in the recipient are due to donnor thinning.

While I have a lot of hair left on my abdomen I think about transplanting them to my vertex in the manner I show in the attached pictures.

my goal is to wear a buzzcut like I do know with the length varying between 3 to 5mms.

As abdominal hair is different and a lot of doctors hesitate to work with it due to bigger transsection rates meaning they will not be able to do that big of a numbers I choose dr ayoub in ratingen which s relatively new and worked under feriduni before. It s still a risk.

So far I am more than satisfied with the improvement the two previous HT‘s gave me and now I just want to stabilize the sides but leave the vertex open.

I d like to have some input and like to know if I can loose anything except money and scarring on my abdomen.

Thank you

Edit: my hair looks better in the picture than in reality , the area in the red line is not cosmetically significant under normal light conditions.

393133A6-1211-41B6-8E3F-B5196941ABA1.jpeg

Edited by krx

• Moderators

I would first want to know if you still have any beard or chest grafts that can be used a those would be best to use. Maybe try to get as much beard and chest hair in the next session and try a small section of abdomen hair to put in the crown where no other hair is being used, so you can see if that grows or not.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

Hi Krx. This is just my opinion. Is your scalp donor supply completely maxed out (as well as your beard donor area)? Body hair as you have stated does have a very high transection rate and has a different growth cycle, etc. Are you on finasteride or minoxidil? Another option to give the illusion of more density is to add SMP to your scalp. If you are happy with the results thus far it's really up to you. It's a lot of money (and time) to spend that may not achieve your goals. However this whole 'hair thing' is a mind game with all of us so if it makes you feel better off then it's definitely worth looking into. All the best!

Thanks for the answers.

Head donor is maxed out, i dont want to touch my beard anymore and the chest hair is something I save for the front.

thus abdominal hair is the only option left.

Here is my advice to you:

First, post a picture of your abdomen to see how many grafts you have to donate (or tell us approximately how many you have).

Then if the transection rate is about 1/4 I would try to make a deal with your doctor for some type of discount.

As far as scarring is concerned, laser treatment for scars can do wonders, so I wouldnt worry about that.

If you do get crazy scaring just get some laser therapy afterwards: https://www.google.ca/search?q=laser+treatment+scars&lr=&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjdzufLiI7qAhVykuAKHSu_AnwQ_AUoAXoECA8QAw&biw=1280&bih=545

Side+Effects+Of+Laser+Treatment+For+Acne

Edited by Westview

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Westview said:

Whats the transection rate for chest and abdominal hairs??

NVM I found it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3764758/

JCAS-6-113-g005.jpg

That was one patient case with 10 procedures done in 2011 and 2012 when body hair FUE was new and it was the Drs first attempt of using body hair grafts. I would think that the growth rate in current cases has improved since then and almost certainly better than that for Drs who have been using body hair for some time now.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Thanks for all the answers.

I am aware of that table, the surprising fact is that the yield was pretty low while transsection rate wasn't that high on the other hand.

Picture of my abdomen attached. Most of them are 2FU/ graft and I hope 1500 grafts are possible.

IMG_8051.jpg

Edited by krx

On 6/19/2020 at 4:17 PM, Westview said:

First, post a picture of your abdomen to see how many grafts you have to donate (or tell us approximately how many you have).

Then if the transection rate is about 1/4 I would try to make a deal with your doctor for some type of discount.

As far as scarring is concerned, laser treatment for scars can do wonders, so I wouldnt worry about that.

If you do get crazy scaring just get some laser therapy afterwards: https://www.google.ca/search?q=laser+treatment+scars&lr=&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjdzufLiI7qAhVykuAKHSu_AnwQ_AUoAXoECA8QAw&biw=1280&bih=545

On 6/19/2020 at 4:17 PM, Westview said:

The transection rate for body hair is almost entirely dependent upon the skill of the surgeon.   I had chest hair removed in the early 2000s and it is still growing, with only one small white spot left to show for it.

• Administrators

🤔 From my knowledge, stomach hair grows poorly, chest hair grows slightly better. I can’t say it would be a great option though. Why can’t you touch the beard?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.