Smartest 'Solution' for Agressively Balding 23 year old

Hi all,

23 year old Swede here. I've been diffuse thinning for a few years now and its going in a NW5 pattern. I've managed to keep a hold of things with Toppik, Min and Fin but the latter has been causing side effects recently that I can't handle. 

I've shaved my head to 0 guard multiple times but I really need a frame to my face to pull it off - lucky for me I've got one of those lightbulb heads :(

It seems I have three options:

a) Try a Hair System (there's a great stylist nearby and it seems a no brainer to at least try it for a few months)

b) Go for SMP (a bit iffy on this - on a bare scalp (esp for a white man) I'm not sure its for me)

c) Wait till I'm 26 and get a Hair Transplant to pair with an smp treatment to give a permanent looking buzz

d) Wait till I'm 26 and a Hair Transplant for a receeded but nice look

I'm really curious about what this forum might suppose the best option is. My financial situation is good and any of these treatments are not out of the question.

Many many thanks in advance,

Trin

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing side effects? Have you tried altering your dose? How about topical liposomal finasteride?

In terms of your options, thats a tough one. My recommendation would be to visit some reputable/honest surgeon near you and get their opinions and maybe to create a plan. I believe hattingen hair with dr. muresanu is in your country. I've heard very good things about them. Obviously just consult with them and do not commit to surgery just yet. Good luck

• Like 2

Losing your hair in your early twenties is a b*tch. Sorry, bro. Most likely, you won’t be able to afford decent work for a while. Whatever happens, don’t make it worse by doing something desperate. For now, this is your life. Just try to go through it with dignity and focus on things that really matter. I cruised with Toppik for a while and ended up buzzing it really short. It looks worse in the beginning because your scalp is a different skin tone at first. After getting some UV exposure, it blends a lot better.

Edited by Taken4Granted
  • Like 2

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

I have no experience with either, but I would incline toward SMP. I’m sure hair systems are clever these days, but they’re the most humiliating when they fail and, to my knowledge, they make it a lot harder to transition. With less drastic concealers (Toppik, SMP etc.), you have room to decide how much you want to enhance your appearance. You can slowly experiment, adapt and transition your look. That way you minimize the “omg, Tim is bald!?” reaction when you give up the pretense. Plus a hairsystem will be a huge barrier to close relationships with women. You won’t know when or how to disclose that.

But I’m really the wrong guy to speak on this. Hopefully there are dudes around here who can speak from experience.

Edited by Taken4Granted
  • Like 1

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

Don't despair. I echo what someone else said about minimizing your finasteride dosage and if you're still getting side effects, use a topical solution of finasteride. Save up your money as well for a hair transplant. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions mate.

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider.