Flying after surgery advice

Greetings:  This is my first post. 

Quick question.  Do to covid 19 mess I have decided to fly to another state to get my second procedure done.  I live is US obviously.   I was going to Canada but they are closed for business indefinitely.       Since I have to get through airport and fly for 3 hours are there any precautions I should take while wearing a hat.  I don't want to damage or pull out any grafts the day after surgery and was wondering if anyone ever had a problem with this.  I am going straight home but really don't want to look like a post op Frankenstein on the plane or hurt my new grafts in transit.  Im having around 2500 FUT done.

Thanx for any advice.

OH57

Your chosen Clinic should provide you with suitable headwear. It is so important to keep the whole grafted area protected from any accidental knocks etc.

having had FuT the back of your head will also still be bandaged and sore. I used a neck pillow for the plane after I had mine. 

Thanx:  I was planning on wearing a loose fitting baseball cap.  Not sure what else would work.   My donor hair is pretty thick and about 1 inch long so hopefully it will be well concealed.  Hair loss is the only disease I know of where you get crap for having it and then get crap for being vane enough to get it treated.  erg....

Thanx for advice.  I have a good neck pillow I will take with me.

I had a trilby style hat for mine as it kind of sat on the bandages and nowhere near the grafted area or the donor area.

Its sleeping that’s difficult after HTs as it’s tough not to get stuck to the pillow... as FUT area will bleed a bit and then your so paranoid about laying on your grafted area by accident. 

The best option will always be no head covering. That's what I did.

Even with a very loose hat there will always be a chance to damage grafts. Some will can pull it or something similar. My suggestion - get into the plain first and out - first. You really want to minimise chance of bumps etc. Trust me, you will get clumsy as you won't feel your head properly even a week after HT.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

You could also wear a loose fitted bandana as long as you do not tie it too tight.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanx:  For the tip.

I had scheduled a procedure with Dr. Wong  and was going to drive across border but now I am flying as I have had to reschedule appointment three times do to C19... Alot of guy don't get procedure due to finances, or uncertainty, or there not able to get time off from work.  I have to deal with a pandemic.  erg.....  I have been trying to get this done for over a year and half. To enter Canada you would have to self-quarantine for two weeks b4 you can legally go out.

Wow...did not know Canada was still under such tight restrictions.

Did you find any other talented surgeons in the US that you liked?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

5 hours ago, O Hare 57 said:

Yes, I am  getting up at 6 am  tomorrow to go and have Dr. Alexander do his magic.  Hope it turns out well.  As you know  the procedure is short but the wait is long. 

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

Back from surgery.  12 hour day.    3000 pokes, prods and pricks later I'm resting in hotel waiting to fly home.  Left clinic with bandanna, looked like biker or aging rock star.

Hope my hair turns out well.  Ended up getting 3000 grafts not 2500.  Hope the planning and pain is worth it.  Time will tell.

5 hours ago, O Hare 57 said:

Back from surgery.  12 hour day.    3000 pokes, prods and pricks later I'm resting in hotel waiting to fly home.  Left clinic with bandanna, looked like biker or aging rock star.

Hope my hair turns out well.  Ended up getting 3000 grafts not 2500.  Hope the planning and pain is worth it.  Time will tell.

Welcome to the club!
You should consider creating a new post with your experience and maybe some pictures? That would be great to other people who are still on the fence.

Follow me on YouTube

18 hours ago, O Hare 57 said:

Congrats on your procedure and I agree that 3,000 grafts will make a significant difference...look forward to your progress pics.

Gillenator

I few from NJ to Canada twice for my procedures. My recommendation and advice. Buy and bring with you an oversized cap that you can adjust in the rear but it will be large enough on top where it never touches your head. Second, be prepared to be asked by security to take your cap off when you go thru airport to your gate. Yes, you will get a funny glance or stare by some security officer or 2 that you'll never see again for a few seconds. Dont sweat it, nobody really cares except you. And last, you will have to spray your grafts about every hour or so - even as you're traveling. I suggest putting whatever solution your doctor or clinic gives you in a TSA approved size spray bottle. I went thru with a larger spray bottle and they took it from me. Good luck, its not as back as you think. 

Edited by home1212

Definitely some words of wisdom and good advice especially regarding having an approved size bottle of saline to keep the grafts moist.

Gillenator