Discreetly Filling in Diffuse Hair with HTs?

Greetings everyone. Long time listener, first time caller. I've got a question about my specific type of hair loss and how feasible my plan is for attacking it.

I have a pretty classic NW2/3 hairline, and I recently noticed that there is some generalized thinning all throughout the forelock. The hairline around my temples is getting to be pretty gnarly. The very front is faring okay, but the rear forelock is a bit worse. I'd like to get a transplant to restore the most diffuse thinning areas and strengthen my hairline somewhat conservatively. I'm sure this can be done for my first procedure. My question has more to do with the future and what I should expect from further transplants. I know that the hair in my forelock is going to thin more over the years. I'd like to get ahead of any thinning before it gets too noticeable. My plan is, over the years, as my forelock (and the rest of my hair) shows further signs of thinning, I'll go in and do smaller FUT sessions to restore them, slowly replacing the hairs as they fall out so that the thinning is never too apparent. I'm taking fin and min right now, but I see these as temporary, and I'm assuming they'll eventually stop working. (I'm only taking them right now to stabilize things.)

Is this realistic? If my hair isn't crazy thin and the balding isn't very noticeable (and hence, still somewhat dense), I would imagine that a doctor couldn't be able to or wouldn't do too much for me out of the risk of bad shock loss. Would I have to expect to show some starker signs of balding before I could go back in to get topped off?

I appreciate any insight you all have!

This is what I'm working with. I'm on finasteride and minoxidil currently.

I assume I'll be able to fill in the sparse-looking areas with a HT now, but I'm mostly concerned with the very front of my forelock and how thinning progresses in the future. I'd like to be able to get multiple HTs in the front before it gets as sparse as the area immediately behind it. Is that realistic?

IMG_20200611_2007404.jpg

17 hours ago, FUEgetaboutit said:

Greetings everyone. Long time listener, first time caller. I've got a question about my specific type of hair loss and how feasible my plan is for attacking it.

I have a pretty classic NW2/3 hairline, and I recently noticed that there is some generalized thinning all throughout the forelock. The hairline around my temples is getting to be pretty gnarly. The very front is faring okay, but the rear forelock is a bit worse. I'd like to get a transplant to restore the most diffuse thinning areas and strengthen my hairline somewhat conservatively. I'm sure this can be done for my first procedure. My question has more to do with the future and what I should expect from further transplants. I know that the hair in my forelock is going to thin more over the years. I'd like to get ahead of any thinning before it gets too noticeable. My plan is, over the years, as my forelock (and the rest of my hair) shows further signs of thinning, I'll go in and do smaller FUT sessions to restore them, slowly replacing the hairs as they fall out so that the thinning is never too apparent. I'm taking fin and min right now, but I see these as temporary, and I'm assuming they'll eventually stop working. (I'm only taking them right now to stabilize things.)

Is this realistic? If my hair isn't crazy thin and the balding isn't very noticeable (and hence, still somewhat dense), I would imagine that a doctor couldn't be able to or wouldn't do too much for me out of the risk of bad shock loss. Would I have to expect to show some starker signs of balding before I could go back in to get topped off?

I appreciate any insight you all have!

The best part is that you are already taking Finasteride. It will stop the progression of baldness for as long as you continue to keep taking it. You might not even require more procedures in the future in that case.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Administrators

My only concern with “discreet” is shock loss, definitely nothing discreet about that, it may happen, especially with diffuse hair loss. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would not be concerned.....and throw everything at it.

The first thing I think of when I hear the word "discreet" is tentative.  This means small numbers which, in this case, will do absolutely nothing.  No visual change. So what's the best course?  Do a procedure and do as many grafts as the doctor recommends.  Why?  Two points to consider.

I recall a patient coming in and saying "I'll do a little and, if I like it, I'll do more."  Worst approach ever.  The patient will see no visual change.  He'll be so disappointed with the results, he will not move forward again.  

The second point to consider is the fact - grafts take time to mature.  This is not an instant solution. First it takes the mandatory 3-4 months before the grafts come in.  The hair is so subtle that most will question results.  It will take a good year to mature the results.  So, get going and get it done. Get lost for a couple of weeks and then return.  No one will know a thing.

Lastly, get on medical therapy.  Retaining what you have is imperative.