Generic vs. Branded Finasteride (Propecia)?

Hello,

I've been thinking about taking Finasteride for the past 6 years and I haven't had the guts to even try it due to the stories I've read, mainly about the irreversible side effects. I am currently looking to sit for a second hair transplant and willing to give Finasteride a try since I've lost a lot of hair (almost a NW6). Where I live, there's a local brand selling Finasteride in 5 mg tablets so I would have to cut it into 4-5 pieces. 

For those who have tried both or who have researched both, is there any difference in the efficacy between both forms of Finasteride? 

Thanks 

Previously KLHT

Just make sure that the manufacturer is reputable and made in a country like the US where it is regulated.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

If you get legit generic version, there’s no difference. But I’ve heard many claim that they saw a difference. I really believe this may be a result of under-dosed medication. Very popular on those online sites that don’t require a prescription.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Never purchase the medication until you have discussed with a licensed physician, been diagnosed with MPB, and subsequently received a prescription.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 6/9/2020 at 10:27 PM, ADuckwithNoHair said:

No difference. I've been on the generic stuff and it's worked fine. The cost savings are massive

How long have you been on Finasteride? And have you experienced any side effects? 

On 6/10/2020 at 12:49 AM, gillenator said:

Just make sure that the manufacturer is reputable and made in a country like the US where it is regulated.

If it's Proscar by Merck, do you suggest that I go for it instead of Propecia? The cost savings are significant. 

On 6/13/2020 at 1:21 AM, gillenator said:

Never purchase the medication until you have discussed with a licensed physician, been diagnosed with MPB, and subsequently received a prescription.

I was prescribed Finasteride prior to my first transplant but did not end up using it. I consulted with another clinic for my second procedure (via a video call as well as images of my hair) and they also said that I should start Finasteride. Is there anything else in specific I need to check before proceeding? 

Previously KLHT

I have been cutting Proscar (5 mg) tablets for several decades and it has worked just as efficiently for me as Propecia.

Propecia was just too expensive and my PCP provides my prescriptions for Proscar and guess what?...my health insurance picks up the full cost!

Gillenator

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 12:11 AM, gillenator said:

I have been cutting Proscar (5 mg) tablets for several decades and it has worked just as efficiently for me as Propecia.

Propecia was just too expensive and my PCP provides my prescriptions for Proscar and guess what?...my health insurance picks up the full cost!

I'll be trying Proscar and cutting it into 1 mg tablets starting next week. Have you had any noticeable side effects over the years? I'm approaching 30 and concerned about the side effects, especially when it comes to having children etc. 

I know the rule of thumb is 1 mg everyday but I would also like to ask whether I can start with 0.5 mg every other day (MWF). Do you think this is effective? Or should I go for 1 mg every other day? 

I really appreciate the feedback. 

• Like 1

Previously KLHT

No, I never had any side-effect issues taking finasteride and I cut Proscar into 4 pieces and take it every other day...it has worked very well for me for several decades...the pieces do not cut evenly however IMHO, it makes no difference and still works well.

Always talk this over with your doctor regarding starting at a reduced dosage and as long as you have no side-effects, it can be gradually raised.

Gillenator