The IMPORTANCE IMPORTANCE IMPORTANCE of Finasteride...

Finasteride is the one medication that can prevent baldness from progressing. Minoxidil, multivitamins, PRP therapies, Meso therapies, laser therapies, herbal remedies, headstands etc. have never and will never substitute Finasteride. 

Finasteride decreases the production of dihydrotestosterone from testosterone. This in turn stops further miniaturization of hair. People do take Dutasteride and Saw Palmetto extracts that can help prevent further balding.

Anything else (Minoxidil, multivitamins, PRP therapies, Meso therapies, laser therapies, herbal remedies, headstands etc.) can only be counted as supplementary. From increasing blood circulation, providing nutrition and stimulating the roots - they can help in other miscellaneous ways.  They will never control the production of DHT in any manner.

I wish I could scream from the rooftops about the importance of Finasteride to everybody! This one simple pill can save us from so much of mental stress and multiple procedures. 

Also, the medication is demonised and it's side effects exaggerated beyond proportion. In our experience, we have hardly seen anyone have real side effects with the medication, i.e, at the prescribed dosage of 0.5 to 1 mg. The very few cases where patients complained about erectile issues, decreased semen, decreased libido, drowsiness, chest pain etc. all proved to be psychogenic. Almost in all of the cases where the side effects were reported, they stated only the side effects that they had read about.

In almost all cases Finasteride plays an important role. Only after a certain age, once the baldness stabilizes, the intake of Finasteride can be reduced significantly or stopped. 

Do you agree with me?

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

I agree in the sense that finasteride is the main player in retaining hair, but I do not agree in the sense that the side effects are psychogenic.

Everyone's genes are different. Everyone reacts to medication differently. Hence why some people experience regrowth on finasteride, some people maintain, and some people continue to lose ground. The same can be said about side effects.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

In almost all cases Finasteride plays an important role. Only after a certain age, once the baldness stabilizes, the intake of Finasteride can be reduced significantly or stopped. 

Do you agree with me?

Having used it personally, I'll never touch it again. Had horrible libido side effects, I'm glad I'm off of it; things are back to normal ( Search for PFS on forums and it will scare you).  There was a poll done by Melvin or Bill sometime back on Fin usage and many users reported side effects. I'd trust the replies on this forum then some pharma propaganda.  People who don't have side effects - they're lucky.

BTW: Donald trump also takes fin (his medical report was public and someone posted it here.) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

The very few cases where patients complained about erectile issues, decreased semen, decreased libido, drowsiness, chest pain etc. all proved to be psychogenic.

For me, All these side effects went away within a week of getting off of Fin. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panamera13 said:

Having used it personally, I'll never touch it again. Had horrible libido side effects, I'm glad I'm off of it; things are back to normal ( Search for PFS on forums and it will scare you).  There was a poll done by Melvin or Bill sometime back on Fin usage and many users reported side effects. I'd trust the replies on this forum then some pharma propaganda.  People who don't have side effects - they're lucky.

BTW: Donald trump also takes fin (his medical report was public and someone posted it here.) 

I personally experienced sides after using for more than 2 years also, prior to that noticed nothing at all. I used to recommend basically anyone get on the drug, a few negative experiences with Tinder girls and a period of continuing issues even in the few months after getting off is enough for me to say that the vast majority of people shouldn’t take it. I see less risk in a cheap transplant with a decent clinic like Cinik’s in Turkey than finasteride, and my sides weren’t even that bad compared to what others had.

Id basically recommend everyone budget and account for a long term approach to multiple transplants, potentially FUT being ideal if the patient has a larger than average balding area.

Edited by JayLDD
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

Well. For all the people who have experienced side effects with oral Finasteride, would you consider using Finasteride in a topical solution?

Yes.

1.) Morr5 - I see this product manufactured by Gina Pharma and/or Intas Pharma. Gina Pharma is 100% fraud. Instas seem like a big reputed company but I don't see their "india" product list on their website. Other regions product pdf's are readily available.

2.) Parati Farmacia(Pharmacy) - Heard about it but couldn't find the product on their website. Reading other forums tell me that I would need a prescription for it.

If topical fin is a great invention (and super easy to make...just mix minox + Fin powder) - Why is there no info, no literature, no test studies, no clinical trials. In fact, H&W stopped selling it.

I'll stay away unless I hear more details from people here and real life use cases.

• Like 1

• Moderators

as body hair is getting used more and more I think the use or reliance of finisteride should decrease and even no longer be recommended for some people. I'm not saying this because body hair allows much more grafts to be used. I'm saying it because finisteride can decrease body hair, so if you use body hair then you are fighting your own hair transplant by taking finisteride. I personally stopped using in back in 2009 after taking it for 11 years because I knew I needed body hair to get any real improvements and 11 yearrs of finsiteride was killing my body hair. I grew most of it back since I stopped taking it. Now that I have over 4600 body hair grafts on my head there's no way I would ever take it again. Even if it can stop further loss of native hair I would just be losing one to save another and have side effects and be taking medication for years for no real gain.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 6/11/2020 at 7:07 PM, Panamera13 said:

Yes.

1.) Morr5 - I see this product manufactured by Gina Pharma and/or Intas Pharma. Gina Pharma is 100% fraud. Instas seem like a big reputed company but I don't see their "india" product list on their website. Other regions product pdf's are readily available.

2.) Parati Farmacia(Pharmacy) - Heard about it but couldn't find the product on their website. Reading other forums tell me that I would need a prescription for it.

If topical fin is a great invention (and super easy to make...just mix minox + Fin powder) - Why is there no info, no literature, no test studies, no clinical trials. In fact, H&W stopped selling it.

I'll stay away unless I hear more details from people here and real life use cases.

To get the Finasteride gel from Farmacia Parati, your doctor will have to email a prescription to info@farmaciaparati.it along with your address. They then give you the quotation along with the shipping charges and thereafter they would send over the product. They usually take 8 to 10 days to prepare the order.

2 hours ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

To get the Finasteride gel from Farmacia Parati, your doctor will have to email a prescription to info@farmaciaparati.it along with your address. They then give you the quotation along with the shipping charges and thereafter they would send over the product. They usually take 8 to 10 days to prepare the order.

What's the price / range?

• Like 1

I think if topical is any use, it’ll be somewhat transdermal and get into the bloodstream. I don’t really know, but my prejudice is that it’s equivalent to a low-dose pill. It’s the same with minox, which sometimes causes non-local sides.

By the way, I didn’t have serious side effects in the first couple years on finasteride. The issues gradually intensified as I got into my late twenties. I think there may be a cumulative aspect to it.

Edited by Taken4Granted
  • Like 1

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

On 6/9/2020 at 6:02 AM, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

Finasteride is the one medication that can prevent baldness from progressing. Minoxidil, multivitamins, PRP therapies, Meso therapies, laser therapies, herbal remedies, headstands etc. have never and will never substitute Finasteride. 

Finasteride decreases the production of dihydrotestosterone from testosterone. This in turn stops further miniaturization of hair. People do take Dutasteride and Saw Palmetto extracts that can help prevent further balding.

Anything else (Minoxidil, multivitamins, PRP therapies, Meso therapies, laser therapies, herbal remedies, headstands etc.) can only be counted as supplementary. From increasing blood circulation, providing nutrition and stimulating the roots - they can help in other miscellaneous ways.  They will never control the production of DHT in any manner.

I wish I could scream from the rooftops about the importance of Finasteride to everybody! This one simple pill can save us from so much of mental stress and multiple procedures. 

Also, the medication is demonised and it's side effects exaggerated beyond proportion. In our experience, we have hardly seen anyone have real side effects with the medication, i.e, at the prescribed dosage of 0.5 to 1 mg. The very few cases where patients complained about erectile issues, decreased semen, decreased libido, drowsiness, chest pain etc. all proved to be psychogenic. Almost in all of the cases where the side effects were reported, they stated only the side effects that they had read about.

Do you agree with me?

You wrote “in our experience” and “we”  who are you writing on behalf of ? 

On 6/9/2020 at 6:02 AM, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

Do you agree with me?

No I don't agree with you.

You definitely need to do some research on pharmacology and endocrinology before coming out with such bold statements. Your post can be read by young dudes that will believe the bro science you are spreading. Finasteride is an anti-androgen, that can have devastating effects on a male endocrine system, it's not an aspirin. And the more you age, the more you will be at risk for side effects, since the body will be producing less and less androgen once you reach 30.

Topical, both in an alcoholic solution and in a liposomal form, goes in the bloodstream, even if in lower doses.

Edited by Cristero

I do not agree with you one bit. 

Quite frankly, I think the nonchalance of many Hair Restoration professionals advising men to jump onto a hormone altering medication to be one of the most reckless occurrences within this industry. Needless to say, my opinion on anonymous forum posters or representatives with no medical background also doing so. 

Not only is every single one of us a unique entity, with a different biological make up, lifestyle, age, and overall health status, not one single doctor in the world could accurately inform you how this drug would affect you as an individual, even after a detailed and in depth hormone and bloods assessment - let alone after a 5 minute consultation of measuring your donor hair quality in a surgeons office.  

Quote me any manufacture backed study you like about side effects, it takes 5 mins of scanning forums, blogs, and youtube to realise they are a lot more present than what is officially reported - and what's a more likely scenario, 'fear mongering patients' who have literally nothing to gain by reporting their experiences, or corporate led propaganda, who stand to make millions?  

If I want to improve my 100m dash, do I go and speak to an NFL coach and ask him to give me some of his wide receivers drills, or do I go and track down the US mens 100m coaching team, and have a sit down and properly analyse where I'm at, and how we can put a programme together to improve on that?

Same logic goes for this - With the greatest respect to all hair surgeons across the globe, but put me in a chair with a urologist or endocrinologist and let see what they have to say. Oral minoxidil - lets speak with a cardiologist and see what they have to say. I invite and encourage everyone here to do exactly this. 

So now, after having a full understanding of this drug from medical professionals within the relevant field - that leaves us with the capability of deciding upon ones personal risk vs. reward analysis. 

Are we prepared to alter one of our bodies natural hormone conversion processes, to help attempt to prevent further hair loss from ocurring?

There is no doubt in my mind, that prevention wise, finasteride and dutasteride are the most effective options we are currently aware of in the world today, and I have respect for every individual who takes the drug, as it is THEIR individual choice. It is THEIR prerogative. 

What I don't have respect for, are professionals within the field being thoughtless with their quick off the mark recommendations, and leaving millions of men uninformed on a potentially life changing medication.

The drugs may serve their purpose - but at whatever expense that maybe, it certainly isn't the correct choice for everybody, and that is the takeaway message from this post. 

• Like 1

I agree with you. I wish I got on finasteride at the age of 18 when I started having signs of MPB (didn't notice it at the time). I ended up seeing a dermatologist at the age of 20 and then 22, both times with CLEAR signs of MPB, yet unfortunately he didn't want to prescribe it to me for whatever BS reason. He told me I could just get a hair transplant in the future. Finally after moving to the US and seeing another doctor, I was prescribed it immediately at the age of 24. If only I had been more knowledgeable about finasteride and how important it is back when I was 20, I would have been more persistent and consulted with another doctor, and would have avoided all of the BS that I'm stuck with now. Oh, and I'm not even a great hair transplant candidate. So depressing. I hope that first dermatologist pays for his negligence. I can't imagine all of the other men who he has turned down. And it should be pretty obvious from my post, but I'm now taking dutasteride and haven't had any side effects whatsoever.

Edited by giegnosiganoe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, giegnosiganoe said:

I agree with you. I wish I got on finasteride at the age of 18 when I started having signs of MPB (didn't notice it at the time). I ended up seeing a dermatologist at the age of 20 and then 22, both times with CLEAR signs of MPB, yet unfortunately he didn't want to prescribe it to me for whatever BS reason. He told me I could just get a hair transplant in the future. Finally after moving to the US and seeing another doctor, I was prescribed it immediately at the age of 24. If only I had been more knowledgeable about finasteride and how important it is back when I was 20, I would have been more persistent and consulted with another doctor, and would have avoided all of the BS that I'm stuck with now. Oh, and I'm not even a great hair transplant candidate. So depressing. I hope that first dermatologist pays for his negligence. I can't imagine all of the other men who he has turned down. And it should be pretty obvious from my post, but I'm now taking dutasteride and haven't had any side effects whatsoever.

True. I agree with you 100%. I wish I had known about Finasteride when my baldness initiated. So many people I know are taking Finasteride. Infact, I know someone who has been taking the medication for 20 years. It is beyond amazing how much this medication can help. This medication has been a blessing to me. It has completely stopped any further hair loss in my case. Plus I haven't had any side effects. For those of us who can afford to take the medication, I think we should. Many times, it can be very misleading when people demonise the medication (for whatever reasons) without any experience with it. I hope the medication is helping you retain your hair. 

On 6/12/2020 at 9:42 PM, Panamera13 said:

What's the price / range?

A bottle of it that would last a month is usually priced around 44 euros. The will also add the shipping charges to it.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:22 PM, Taken4Granted said:

I think if topical is any use, it’ll be somewhat transdermal and get into the bloodstream. I don’t really know, but my prejudice is that it’s equivalent to a low-dose pill. It’s the same with minox, which sometimes causes non-local sides.

By the way, I didn’t have serious side effects in the first couple years on finasteride. The issues gradually intensified as I got into my late twenties. I think there may be a cumulative aspect to it.

Thas interesting. I would love to know more about it. What kind of side effects did you experience? And why do you feel that it intensified as you continued with the medication?