How prominent are the scars on the donor after a hair transplantation procedure? FUE

According to our experience, there will always be microscopic scarring on the donor area after grafts have been harvested. They will not be obvious but if the hair on the donor area is kept quite short (trimmed or shaved) then the collective absence of hair will outline the empty area. Even in the beard area when used for donor grafts, a two or three day stubble can reveal a thinner density on the extracted parts. 

What are your views on this?

• Like 1

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Administrators

In my experience, scars are visible at a zero guard in around 95% of patients, that percentage drops to 50% with a #1 guard and 25% with a #2 guard. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Dr. Glenn Charles said:

The scarring also depends on the size of the punch used to perform the FUE procedure as well as the the patients skin type and color.

Great points, 

The larger the punch, the more visible the scars. Also, dark hair and light skin shows more scarring, as opposed to light hair and light skin or dark hair and dark skin.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

All of what you guys said is correct. Especially the experience of the doctor is so important. Tool size , and of course it's a real benifit for the patient to have very good healing ability. All of these factors put together is a recipe for success. Miss one of these and the patient is in trouble.

At least hair will cover the scarring on the head to disguise the scarring. But what about scarring after beard extractions ?  This is really risky for the patient.  If one dosent want to have stubble or facial hair , scarring in this area can be absoutely defestating to live with .  So its a huge decision on choosing a doctor and their experience  to get right. Get it wrong and we really do get it wrong. In this case the patient will have no option but to grow hair to disguise the  scarring.

Here is a few pictures after my own HT. Thankfully I'm very happy with the outcome. This one is from my bead extractions, as they dont get talked about at all.  Punch used under the jawline was 0.75mm.  

Paddy

IMG_9338.JPG

20200416_090149.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the photo update @paddyirishman. As always, a picture speaks more than the words. It will be great if few more hair loss patients can share their post-op scalp or beard area photos on a shaved, trimmed styles on this thread. This is something I look forward to know as a potential HT candidate.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

According to our experience, there will always be microscopic scarring on the donor area after grafts have been harvested. They will not be obvious but if the hair on the donor area is kept quite short (trimmed or shaved) then the collective absence of hair will outline the empty area. Even in the beard area when used for donor grafts, a two or three day stubble can reveal a thinner density on the extracted parts. 

What are your views on this?

Hi Nelson, what minimum length do you typically advise Eugenix patients to keep their donors? I know in the past it has been stated your clinic uses .9-.95 punches for the majority of patients.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HTHope said:

Hi Nelson, what minimum length do you typically advise Eugenix patients to keep their donors? I know in the past it has been stated your clinic uses .9-.95 punches for the majority of patients.

We normally recommend that the patients keep their hair at least an inch long or two to three cms on the donor area. If the patient has a very thin donor then he would be advised to keep at least 3 to 4 cms long hair. This would ensure that there would be no visibility of the area where the hair has been taken from.

We have a lot of patients who have kept a fade cut hairstyle also. The sides and the back are smaller in length and the top is of good length.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ