Why do some HT's fail?

Hi HT Members..

While I am doing some serious digging on a HT, I wanted to get your feedback and opinion..

I saw a picture of Wayne Rooney on my phone post HT and it looked like he was losing it again but when I searched Google for 2020 pictures I could not find anything.  His hair still looked good so maybe it was just click-bait.  But that did got me to thinking.  Initially I explored SMP BC I was told I was not a good candidate for a HT before I saw @paddyirishman and @Zoomster results.I have seen a number of folks getting SMP partly to cover up the scars. Also I have friend who HT is ok at best but I think he got his done a while ago. Why do some HT's fail or start to look really bad?  I mean look at Nicolas Cage or Steve Segal and these guys almost unlimited resources!  In these cases it's better to bite the bullet and go bald or SMP.

Thoughts, opinions?  

PS TBH I am 50 so if I can get a decent HT and it last's into my mid to late 60's I am ok with being bald at that stage in life..

8 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

Wayne Rooney uses concealers like toppik or dermatch to add to his transplant. Melvin recently talked about it in another topic; https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/56938-what-happened-to-wayne-rooney’s-hair/

Why some HT's fail is a tougher question. If you mean by "fail" poor growth, then there's a study by Cooley who found the majority of reasons were concentrated around surgical error (poor extraction technique, improper storage of grafts, improper implantation). Patient physiology is also a factor for how well grafts might grow.

Why a HT starts looking bad most likely comes down to planning. In Wayne Rooney's case he is a NW6 with clearly not enough hairs transplanted so he doesnt have enough coverage. As he has continued to bald it only makes his results look worse or lacklustre. That's why it's important to choose a HT doc who will help plan around your future balding pattern so no matter what happens the end result will be natural.

As for Nicolas Cage and Segal they both presumably got HT's more than a decage ago, and the industry has moved forward in bounds at what its actually capable of achieving now (just because you have lots of money doesnt mean you make good decisions with it). 

Why were you told you weren't a good candidate?

thanks for the insight Phil. Ironically I got rejected by a clinic in Turkey of all places!   TBH when I sent them my pics, my hair dresser just washed my hair just before putting the "system" back on. So it was very wet and hadnt even been toweled dried plus the close up made it look much thinner that it was.  More recently H&W said they could do it for me and Eugenix (which seems to specialize in later stage NW's) said that I was a good candidate.  I have pretty good donor hair..

All good points about NC and SS.  I think my dentist friend also had his done over 10 years ago..

The hair on the donor area are less resistant to dihydrotestosterone and tbis means that they too can miniaturise with age. The hair taken from these areas can also go through miniaturisation later on the recipient areas. In some cases we have seen this phenomenon. In such cases, the individuals must be vigilant with Finasteride. Finasteride can help prevent miniaturisation overall throughout the scalp. The doctors must evaluate the history of hair loss in such individuals thoroughly and then formulate a wholesome treatment plan. The treatment should be all encompassing keeping the future in mind. 

I don't know whether the individuals that you have mentioned are people who have experienced the loss of their transplanted hair due to the same phenomenon. But I wanted to share a little information about why transplanted hair could miniaturise as well.

Finasteride is a life saver in many facets of the phenomenon - Androgenetic Alopecia.

One of the most important factors why some people tend to lose their transplanted hair is also if the hair have been mistakenly taken from the temporary zone. This would inevitably cause balding in the already transplanted area.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

14 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

Why some HT's fail is a tougher question. If you mean by "fail" poor growth, then there's a study by Cooley who found the majority of reasons

A) were concentrated around surgical error (poor extraction technique, improper storage of grafts, improper implantation).

B) Patient physiology is also a factor for how well grafts might grow.

A) is what the clinics before the surgery with them wants us to believe --> Of course they will do everything right so you do not have to worry.

B) is what the clinics wants us to believe after a failed transplant with them 

I have seen so many results with poor growth with literally any topic clinic, even with FUT. Physiology has to be a major reason. In the end a graft is a small organ which is first extracted and then implanted and finally has to accepted (and connected to blood supply etc.) by the body. 

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

thank you Melvin!

7 hours ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

The hair on the donor area are less resistant to dihydrotestosterone and tbis means that they too can miniaturise with age. The hair taken from these areas can also go through miniaturisation later on the recipient areas. In some cases we have seen this phenomenon. In such cases, the individuals must be vigilant with Finasteride. Finasteride can help prevent miniaturisation overall throughout the scalp. The doctors must evaluate the history of hair loss in such individuals thoroughly and then formulate a wholesome treatment plan. The treatment should be all encompassing keeping the future in mind. 

I don't know whether the individuals that you have mentioned are people who have experienced the loss of their transplanted hair due to the same phenomenon. But I wanted to share a little information about why transplanted hair could miniaturise as well.

Finasteride is a life saver in many facets of the phenomenon - Androgenetic Alopecia.

One of the most important factors why some people tend to lose their transplanted hair is also if the hair have been mistakenly taken from the temporary zone. This would inevitably cause balding in the already transplanted area.

thank you, yes I suspect older men need to be on Finasteride to retain their new "locks" long term!

1 hour ago, Gasthoerer said:

A) is what the clinics before the surgery with them wants us to believe --> Of course they will do everything right so you do not have to worry.

B) is what the clinics wants us to believe after a failed transplant with them 

I have seen so many results with poor growth with literally any topic clinic, even with FUT. Physiology has to be a major reason. In the end a graft is a small organ which is first extracted and then implanted and finally has to accepted (and connected to blood supply etc.) by the body. 

thanks for your reply!

@540Oak you are 50 , it's unlikely your sides will drop any further. Whatever state your donor is at now at your age will be unlikely to change either. A good experienced doctor will make extractions 1cmm or so to keep within the Safe donor area. You are in a good position as you have lost what you have lost, your not 25, your 50. 

I dont buy into anyone wanting a HT now and if they  lose that hair or surrounding hair and by the time they are at a certain age they won't mind being bald.  One will always want hair even when they get older.

Paddy

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 8:49 PM, 540Oak said:

Hi HT Members..

PS TBH I am 50 so if I can get a decent HT and it last's into my mid to late 60's I am ok with being bald at that stage in life..

Don't count on being OK with balding in your late 60s.

• Like 1

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

14 hours ago, paddyirishman said:

@540Oak you are 50 , it's unlikely your sides will drop any further. Whatever state your donor is at now at your age will be unlikely to change either. A good experienced doctor will make extractions 1cmm or so to keep within the Safe donor area. You are in a good position as you have lost what you have lost, your not 25, your 50. 

I dont buy into anyone wanting a HT now and if they  lose that hair or surrounding hair and by the time they are at a certain age they won't mind being bald.  One will always want hair even when they get older.

Paddy

thanks Paddy on the feedback on the further miniaturization hair.  To clarify what I mean is that in a worst case scenario, if I got further loss.  Of course, given the choice I would love to have a "mane" of hair into my 90's 😊

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Dazed said:

Don't count on being OK with balding in your late 60s.

Hahaha so true as Dazed has shown us.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

On 6/9/2020 at 11:39 AM, transplantedphil said:

You made me question something interesting by this statement  ... if a surgery involves pre-made slits with an implantation process to be undertaken at a later stage (i.e. each and every graft is NOT properly connected and thoroughly verified as getting an acceptable amount of blood supply as it is transplanted), then a patient who might have some kind of physiological reason for poor healing would thus be MORE LIKELY to incur a bad result without more stringent surgical protocols in place. 

Hey phil, I would be careful with such conclusions. I do not have seen any statistics that pre-made slits are worse than stick and place in terms of growth. I also have seen clinics claiming that the healing process starting after the slits are made helps promoting growth (or better: helps acceptance/connection of the graft with the body).  Bleeding and connection of the grafts to the blood supply of the body is not the same as well. Excessive bleeding is actually a bad not a good thing as it can lead to graft popping. 

Bad and rushed procedure or mistreating of the graft on the other hand … I think no one denies that this affects growth. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 6/8/2020 at 6:26 PM, paddyirishman said:

you are 50 , it's unlikely your sides will drop any further. Whatever state your donor is at now at your age will be unlikely to change either.

It's going to be different for everyone. I'm 53 and my sides and back are still dropping and widening. You can't tell just by age.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, 540Oak said:

Dazed??

@Dazed he is our resident senior, I believe he didn’t get his first HT until after 60.

View my thread

12 hours ago, BeHappy said:

It's going to be different for everyone. I'm 53 and my sides and back are still dropping and widening. You can't tell just by age.

Agree. As unsettling as it is, there’s no way to predict when MPB might accelerate, slow or lie dormant. Plenty of guys “go bald” in all decades of life, even old age.