Are we close to a hairloss cure?

Recently came across this article in Nature journal: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01568-2  

It talks about a major breakthrough in regenerative medicine. 
While current hairtransplants can already produce some remarkable results if done right, I am wondering how much of an impact regenerative medicine could have on people without strong donor regions. 
What do you guys think?

I personally pray for this every night. There are just so many people with significant hair loss that have sub optimal donor hair. To be able to make more follicles with matching DNA creating as much donor follicles as necessary would be a miracle. I wouldn't hold my breathe for this to happen if I were you. Lol

In the late 90's I was told "in 10 years."  10 years came and went and I still heard "10 years."  Then cloning...."we're close! 10 years." Then it got interesting, cell duplication. It's been 10 years - nothing.

My personal view........Science keeps evolving, I recall discussing pigs as their Gnome is close to ours...etc, including how basic the hair follicle is.  (Quite basic when you consider the heart and other organs).  You would think someone would have figured this out a long time ago.  But think about it by level of importance.  Hair is way down there.  10 years? Tell you what, add up every time you read 10, (70).  Perhaps.....

• Administrators

There are literally websites called “hair loss cure 2020” but there’s no real cure in site. We’ve actually visited a hair cloning company Intercytex back in the 2000’s shortly after they closed. I don’t see a cure in my lifetime.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 6/8/2020 at 4:32 PM, LaserCap said:

In the late 90's I was told "in 10 years."  10 years came and went and I still heard "10 years."  Then cloning...."we're close! 10 years." Then it got interesting, cell duplication. It's been 10 years - nothing.

My personal view........Science keeps evolving, I recall discussing pigs as their Gnome is close to ours...etc, including how basic the hair follicle is.  (Quite basic when you consider the heart and other organs).  You would think someone would have figured this out a long time ago.  But think about it by level of importance.  Hair is way down there.  10 years? Tell you what, add up every time you read 10, (70).  Perhaps.....

I have been on this forum since 2009, and they said it would be here in 10 years.  I keep waiting for the big announcement.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Follicum Trials to Restart

“Some good news. We will restart the clinical Phase IIa study with a cream-like formulation of FOL-005 this month, following a pause due to the Covid-19 pandemic. To increase the recruitment rate, we have contracted a third study centre. The study comprises approximately 200 male patients with hair loss who are treated daily for four months with the newly developed formulation of FOL-005 or placebo.

The study is being conducted at the Clinical Research Center for Hair and Skin Science (“CRC”) in Berlin; proDERM in Hamburg; and the new center, CentroDerm in Wuppertal. The patients themselves will apply a cream with three different strengths of FOL-005 or placebo in the scalp, once daily in the evening. The study is expected to be completed and the results communicated in spring 2021.”

..................But they have no pics to show for it YET. 

Sounds like it could be done if it were a priority, which it isn’t. The technology has to be developed, then commercialized, then refined. I’d be surprised if it happened in our lifetime, but then cell phones didn’t exist when I was a kid.

Edited by Taken4Granted

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

• Moderators

My first hair transplant was in 1989. Before I had the hair transplant I read an article that said within 5 years nobody will ever have to be bald if they didn't want to be as long as they could pay for treatment. That was 31 years ago. I'm still bald.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

Too bad we couldn’t find that article through microfiche lmao

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...

One day we will be surprised that someone find a better treatment/cure after all the wait. But we might be too old or even long gone by then. 

Meanwhile, it is most likely we will see steady improvement in HT, techniques etc. Things will be better in 5-10 years than it is now, but likely not "cure" level of better

A cure will be discovered by accident and there will be very little prior announcement. It will simply arrive some day.

Minoxidil was discovered by accident as well.   It was originally designed as a new drug  for hypertension. When they conducted their clinical trial they found it didnt do much for hypertension, but to everyone's surprise people were reporting hair growth.

Penicillin was also discovered by accident. Sir Fleming dropped a bit of bread mold into his petri dish, it in turn inhibited the growth of bacteria and the rest is history

Edited by Westview
  • Like 1