Do supplements really aid in hair growth?

I have seen several posts on various MPB and Hairloss forums where the users claimed that supplementation with Vitamin D, Biotin, Zinc, Magnesium etc. dramatically boosted their hair growth.
Since our physiology determines our overall health, it's not too far-fetched to assume that supplements can have impact on hair quality. 
I was wondering if anyone else here has had any hair quality improvements and even hair growth with supplements? 

Edited by tressful11
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tressful11 said:

I have seen several posts on various MPB and Hairloss forums where the users claimed that supplementation with Vitamin D, Biotin, Zinc, Magnesium etc. dramatically boosted their hair growth.
Since our physiology determines our overall health, it's not too far-fetched to assume that supplements can have impact on hair quality. 
I was wondering if anyone else here has had any hair quality improvements and even hair growth with supplements? 

Hair specific multivitamins can definitely help improve the hair caliber and hair health in general. I have expetienced it myself and have seen so many patients experience the same.

As far as growing new hair, multivitamins cannot aid in that. Finasteride can help retain pre existing hair and prevent further miniaturization. 

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

I can confirm that supplementing biotin made a lot of difference to the quality of my hair in general (not just the transplanted hair) - I started taking biotin in tablet form about 4 months after my HT and I think I can now say that there is definitely a difference. This has not just been confirmed by me but also my wife and others who noticed a difference after about 4-5 weeks of taking. Biotin is not toxic so you've got nothing to lose. I also supplement minerals (zinc, magnesium, copper etc.) but I've been doing this for longer because of my running and weight training (sweat a lot after a 15 to 20 k run!) - not sure if that helps my hair but it doesn't hurt either and I feel better for doing it - of course diet is important, I've always kept a strict eye on what I eat. To sum it up, good healthy living is never wrong!

Cheers,

Romeodelta

22 hours ago, tressful11 said:

I’ve been taking Vitamin D for years, didn’t see much help with hair prior to my HT...but I did start daily biotin 5-10kmcg/daily for almost 2 years now and do notice my native and HT hairs feel stronger & healthier. And since January In anticipation of the pandemic I started taking a magnesium supplement as well as a combo Zinc/copper suppliment and have definitely noticed hair regrowth in my crown that was weak vellus hairs...and I’ve noticed some of my grey and white hairs returning to its original dark hair color at the root, I did read that a lack of zinc & copper in the body can deplete melanin from hair cells so there might be something there, in my opinion.

PS I also take MSM suppliment and Collagen peptides powder a couple times a week.