Does the recipient area need to be shaved (FUT)?

I've read on a few reputable hair surgeons' websites that a hair transplant can be performed without shaving the recipient area. However, I've never seen an FUT post-op photo where the patient didn't have his recipient area shaved. Is it possible to undergo FUT without shaving the recipient area? Specifically, I'm concerned with the crown.

This may depend in part on the surgeon's preferences. What I have been told is that it is possible to do it without shaving the recipient area, but shaving makes the surgeon's task easier. As far as I was concerned, that was good enough reason to do it, because the long term result was the only thing that really mattered to me.

• Administrators

In my opinion, it’s best to shave, less chance of shock loss. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Where as it’s possible most Drs would prefer to shave the recipient area. It will take them more time to carry out the procedure if unshaven.

You want them to have the best chance to place the grafts without extra searching for placement.

I understand, that makes sense. Perhaps this question is best suited for my doctor, but if I would like the doctor to work around my existing hair, I presume that would be easier with a shorter haircut?

My dilemma is this, I haven't cut my hair since probably February because barber shops are closed here. So, my hair is longer than I normally wear it and pretty unkempt. With it being so long, shaving my thinning crown for the procedure would be particularly ugly given the length of my surrounding hair. I am aware that I shouldn't cut my hair super short before the procedure, but are there any suggestions for what I can do to minimize the old man look from a shaved crown? Get it buzzed to a 3 on top? 5 on top?

I appreciate the replies. And I will ask my doctor before actually doing anything. Thanks!

• Moderators

Most Drs require shaving of the recipient area, but some don't. You should ask Drs about this to find one that doesn't require shaving if that's what you are looking for. I know Dr Dorin at True & Dorin in NY does not require shaving. I THINK Dr Arocha doesn't require shaving either, but I could be wrong on that one.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I had FUT done in 2011 and I was not shaved, and everything turned out fine.  I can see how shaving would make the doctors job easier, but you will look like a total fool for 3-4 months is you don't like to buzz your head.  I returned to work after 2 weeks and nobody noticed.  Hiding the transplant is a big issue for a lot of guys, and can you imagine a woman getting shaved.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Thanks for the replies. I already scheduled an FUT procedure with a doctor, but I didn't ask about shaving the recipient site. Ultimately, even if he says I have to shave the recipient site, I am still going to go through with the procedure. That said, I'd love to hear from more people who were able to have FUT done without shaving the recipient site.

To me, it looks like there are two options if shaving the recipient area is necessary. Either have an old-man haircut after surgery or buzz your whole head after surgery so that the recipient site won't stand out too much, but then the donor scar will be obvious. A lot of these clinics say not to get a haircut before FUT because you can use your hair to cover up the recipient site, but if a big recipient area is shaved most people won't have long enough hair to cover it up. I know I won't. I guess it is what it is, it just seems that FUT advertising and actual practice don't align with each other.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, lopress65 said:

Thanks for the replies. I already scheduled an FUT procedure with a doctor, but I didn't ask about shaving the recipient site. Ultimately, even if he says I have to shave the recipient site, I am still going to go through with the procedure. That said, I'd love to hear from more people who were able to have FUT done without shaving the recipient site.

To me, it looks like there are two options if shaving the recipient area is necessary. Either have an old-man haircut after surgery or buzz your whole head after surgery so that the recipient site won't stand out too much, but then the donor scar will be obvious. A lot of these clinics say not to get a haircut before FUT because you can use your hair to cover up the recipient site, but if a big recipient area is shaved most people won't have long enough hair to cover it up. I know I won't. I guess it is what it is, it just seems that FUT advertising and actual practice don't align with each other.

Shaving the recipient ensures the best outcome. Even if the doctor says you don’t have to shave, he/she can make a mistake, it is A LOT harder to transplant in between long hairs. If hair loss bugs you, why wouldn’t you want to take a temporary nuisance to ensure the long term goal is better? Seems like a no-brainer for me.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If you want to make it as easy as possible for the doctor why not just get a buzz cut before the procedure.  The doctor may also be able to work faster with the buzz.  The big drawback is that the FUT scar will be very noticeable.  I had good results with FUT and FUE without shaving the recipient area.  You should ask the doctor what he requires beforehand so you can reason out the best approach so you don't look a fool for 4 months - don't downplay this aspect of getting a transplant because you have to deal with it for months.  FUE with no prior FUT is a piece of cake because you can just buzz without revealing an FUT scar.  I think most guys get more than one procedure, and the prevailing wisdom is to do an FUT first. 

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

1 hour ago, Dazed said:

If you want to make it as easy as possible for the doctor why not just get a buzz cut before the procedure.  The doctor may also be able to work faster with the buzz.  The big drawback is that the FUT scar will be very noticeable.  I had good results with FUT and FUE without shaving the recipient area.  You should ask the doctor what he requires beforehand so you can reason out the best approach so you don't look a fool for 4 months - don't downplay this aspect of getting a transplant because you have to deal with it for months.  FUE with no prior FUT is a piece of cake because you can just buzz without revealing an FUT scar.  I think most guys get more than one procedure, and the prevailing wisdom is to do an FUT first. 

The doctor's website actually recommends against coming in with a short haircut on the day of the procedure. They say a longer haircut will give a better idea of how to place the grafts.

In response to Melvin, of course I'd like the best outcome possible, and for that reason I am willing to have them shave the recipient area. I do have some work obligations about 2.5 weeks after the FUT, and I'll wear a hat if I must. Unfortunately, my work obligation is unavoidable but, otherwise, there will never be a better time for me to do this. Hopefully, any follow-up procedure will be smaller in scale.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, lopress65 said:

They say a longer haircut will give a better idea of how to place the grafts.

It allows them to see the direction the hair grows, the way it falls, and how and to what degree it covers your head. For example if you have a wave in your hair it may cover differently than if your hair is very straight and that can determine where to best place more grafts and where they can get away with using less grafts for best overall coverage and look.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, BeHappy said:

It allows them to see the direction the hair grows, the way it falls, and how and to what degree it covers your head. For example if you have a wave in your hair it may cover differently than if your hair is very straight and that can determine where to best place more grafts and where they can get away with using less grafts for best overall coverage and look.

I will add that this doesn't mean they won't shave your head. They may still do that, but seeing you with some length and how you normally comb your hair allows them to plan better prior to starting.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

Lowpress65, whatever you choose to do first bounce it off the guys here.  They will give you the pros and cons of your decision. 

image.jpeg.bf34f236745a50945332b1d273883832.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Lowpress65, whatever you choose to do first bounce it off the guys here.  They will give you the pros and cons of your decision. 

image.jpeg.bf34f236745a50945332b1d273883832.jpeg

I know that, in all likelihood, I'll have to have my recipient site shaved, and I know that my doctor has a strong preference for that too. I had my consultation via email, so there are still some things to be discussed the morning of my procedure when the doctor actually sees me in person, and I'd like to have realistic expectations when that happens. Even if it's not what I wanted to hear, I do appreciate all the replies!

6 hours ago, lopress65 said:

I know that, in all likelihood, I'll have to have my recipient site shaved, and I know that my doctor has a strong preference for that too. I had my consultation via email, so there are still some things to be discussed the morning of my procedure when the doctor actually sees me in person, and I'd like to have realistic expectations when that happens. Even if it's not what I wanted to hear, I do appreciate all the replies!

OK, then my first thought is how to conceal the transplant.  Interesting dilemma, if you shave the top and leave the other area long it will look horrible.  I you buzz it all the FUT scar will stand out.  For your sake I hope the doctor doesn't require it to be shaved.  My FUT was easy to hide.