Are Mega-Session Hair Transplants Worth It?

• Administrators

I would love to hear the communities thoughts on mega-session procedures? What are some of the pro's and cons for you guys? What are some of your guys's concerns or is it a no-brainer. Let me know your thoughts.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I would love to hear the communities thoughts on mega-session procedures? What are some of the pro's and cons for you guys? What are some of your guys's concerns or is it a no-brainer. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for that short narrative.  There are two important points to take away from it.  Techniques and methods have improved and this has allowed for the industry, as a whole, to achieve greater numbers. Second, the assumption that all will go well.

Let's address the first point.  Science overall keeps improving and there will always be a better mouse trap.  I gather the hair restoration will not be an exception and refinement will continue.  Who is not to say 10,000 grafts will be possible in a few years given new techniques.  For now, however, (given current techniques), I don't think it's a good idea.  And, while I am talking in general terms, this would involve taking larger and wider segments,  less elasticity and larger scars  if an FUT, and a totally depleted donor if an FUE.  Everyone is different, I'll give you that.  Bigger heads - more grafts, but the pattern is bigger too.

There are some great names in the industry.  True artists who use newer techniques.  It is truly exciting to see the densities being achieved in a single procedure because of it.  It is always about results.  And it's up to the doctors/clinics to take better photos and to promote. If you're good, advertise your work.  If your're a patient, do the research, (as we often suggest).  Find cases similar to your own and review countless photos until you find what you're looking for. Go to consultations, visit with the doctor.  Get educated and ask questions. This is the way to minimize problems.

The assumption just prior to the procedure is that all will go right.  But we are human and mistakes will happen.  If everyone does their part, we can help minimize this percentage.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Zoomster said:

@Melvin-Moderator... I'll let you know in a few months time 😂

You got your answer already, it’s a no-brainer for you haha

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I still fill your first surgery should be the biggest game changer .it should bring a solid impact  and with time a second would mainly involve filling up n covering crown..once your hairline is generated you are all set to go in life.. mega session is usually required when a patient reaches grade 6 or 7 but if someone with grade 3 or 4 gets a hair transplant and be committed to medicines then he would have achieved the ultimate goal of a hair transplant n that is density. 

So its advisable for someone to get 2 sessions in 4 to 5 years rather than 1 mega session 

16 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

I would have loved to get all my Hts done in 1 session rather than 5. But imagine a failure with a mega session. 
Always wondered about the yield difference on the mega sessions too. 

I know how it is when a megasession is done wrong— it can setup a bad scalp for future repairs— only a skilled ethical doctor can probably repair it as the yield will be somewhat impacted due to more scar tissue then usual.

Edited by Sean

• Administrators
23 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

I would have loved to get all my Hts done in 1 session rather than 5. But imagine a failure with a mega session. 
Always wondered about the yield difference on the mega sessions too. 

That is the gamble. I guess it’s like anything in life, the bigger the risk, the higher the reward.

View my thread

I agree with most of the statements made above and feel that a mega-session should only be considered as a first procedure. Once a patient has scarring from a previous procedure there will be limitations when it comes time for a second procedure.