Dating while using concealers?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

It’s similar to girls wearing mascara, they apply it to make their eye lashes look thicker.

Yeah I get that. It's much more acceptable these days for men to be doing something to look better than it was 30+ years ago when I was losing my hair. Back then you would be laughed at and made fun of by just about everyone.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Yeah I get that. It's much more acceptable these days for men to be doing something to look better than it was 30+ years ago when I was losing my hair. Back then you would be laughed at and made fun of by just about everyone.

I really think it depends on how you tackle it, if you’re honest and you’re nonchalant like Jon Cryer, not much people can say, if you’re open and joke about it yourself. But if you’re hiding it and get exposed, I imagine it may not go over so well with some. 

A lot of things were taboo in the 80’s including hair transplants, that’s part of the reason why the industry was so venomous, even if you had a bad experience you wouldn’t tell anyone, that made it a no lose situation for scammers and con artists. I’m glad we’re evolving as a society, and I hope we continue to make strides.

Maybe in another 30 years people will be say “why did guys let themselves go bald, they should have worn concealer or got a hair transplant.”

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Taken4Granted said:

@Guanyu76

I used Tresemme, for no particular reason. I think it’s more about the process. I’d put in a coat, drop some spray, run my hands through my hair a bit, let it dry, break it up, add a little water, comb it a bit, drop in a little more toppik, a little more spray...

Working with it and gradually adding moisture/spray and toppik gave me a thick, durable result. It still looked good in the morning and left nothing on the pillow. I got caught in the rain a few times and had no problems. You just need to experiment. I only had trouble when I used it more to coat my scalp than to thicken my hair. That’s a dangerous game.

Tressemme hard hold is my go to, but if you really want nuclear staying power, use bed hed-hard head hair spray. You can dunk your head in water, nothing is coming out.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

8 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Tressemme hard hold is my go to, but if you really want nuclear staying power, use bed hed-hard head hair spray. You can dunk your head in water, nothing is coming out.

Does the bed head come off with shampooing easily?

• Administrators
On 6/13/2020 at 3:55 PM, HTHope said:

Does the bed head come off with shampooing easily?

It comes off, but not that easily.

View my thread

• 3 years later...
On 6/13/2020 at 10:08 AM, Melvin- Admin said:

Hey Melvin. Is this what you use:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TRESemme-Extra-Firm-Control-Strong-Hold-Hairspray-11-oz/660504921?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=3795&adid=22222222277660504921_117755028669_12420145346&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-2290367806927&wl5=1022698&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=660504921&wl13=3795&veh=sem_LIA&gclsrc=aw.ds&&adid=22222222237660504921_117755028669_12420145346&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-2290367806927&wl5=1022698&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=660504921&veh=sem&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk6SwBhDPARIsAJ59GwdjBnLcPc7SbUriZhcu68fWMkclYinE7r1Hp5tWClDSKyDQLgjbuXsaArcXEALw_wcB

I am so glad there is a thread for this and I truly appreciate the guidance here. I started using Toppik sparingly (I'd run through one container a month - sometimes it lasted longer) when I was 28. It was undetectable and rain/wind didn't make a difference. I was transparent with my girlfriend (at the time) a few years later since I used a dark pillow cover and it wasn't an issue. Now, when I was 36, it MIGHT have become an issue (but it's unclear as to how much of an issue). I had mastered sleeping in a way that would prevent the toppik on my crown from moving prior to that but I might have slept awkwardly during a second sleepover date with a girl I was seeing at the time. I know my hair moved awkwardly that second time and the gaps in my crown might have been incredibly visible. Now, that I am 42, wind is my enemy. It completely wrecks my crown (regardless of how I apply toppik - especially when i apply it sparsely). Fortunately, I am getting my HT done this June by Dr Arika Bansal (Eugenix) in Mumbai but I want to make sure I have some sort of solution until then. These days, when I sleep and wake up my bald crown is completely revealed when I wake up. The rest of my head looks fine and when I look at the mirror in the morning, I don't necessarily see a balding guy. Obviously, this is a non-issue when I am alone but in the event that my dating life has an upswing (yes, I am still single!) in the near future, I want to make sure I am adequately prepared. Any suggestions on what do for bed would be great - that way, I don't wake up with a massive balding crown fully on display. I also agree that being transparent post 3rd or 4th date is wise.  

• Valued Contributor
On 4/1/2024 at 12:52 AM, WhamHair said:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TRESemme-Extra-Firm-Control-Strong-Hold-Hairspray-11-oz/660504921?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=3795&adid=22222222277660504921_117755028669_12420145346&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-2290367806927&wl5=1022698&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=660504921&wl13=3795&veh=sem_LIA&gclsrc=aw.ds&&adid=22222222237660504921_117755028669_12420145346&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-2290367806927&wl5=1022698&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=660504921&veh=sem&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk6SwBhDPARIsAJ59GwdjBnLcPc7SbUriZhcu68fWMkclYinE7r1Hp5tWClDSKyDQLgjbuXsaArcXEALw_wcB

I am so glad there is a thread for this and I truly appreciate the guidance here. I started using Toppik sparingly (I'd run through one container a month - sometimes it lasted longer) when I was 28. It was undetectable and rain/wind didn't make a difference. I was transparent with my girlfriend (at the time) a few years later since I used a dark pillow cover and it wasn't an issue. Now, when I was 36, it MIGHT have become an issue (but it's unclear as to how much of an issue). I had mastered sleeping in a way that would prevent the toppik on my crown from moving prior to that but I might have slept awkwardly during a second sleepover date with a girl I was seeing at the time. I know my hair moved awkwardly that second time and the gaps in my crown might have been incredibly visible. Now, that I am 42, wind is my enemy. It completely wrecks my crown (regardless of how I apply toppik - especially when i apply it sparsely). Fortunately, I am getting my HT done this June by Dr Arika Bansal (Eugenix) in Mumbai but I want to make sure I have some sort of solution until then. These days, when I sleep and wake up my bald crown is completely revealed when I wake up. The rest of my head looks fine and when I look at the mirror in the morning, I don't necessarily see a balding guy. Obviously, this is a non-issue when I am alone but in the event that my dating life has an upswing (yes, I am still single!) in the near future, I want to make sure I am adequately prepared. Any suggestions on what do for bed would be great - that way, I don't wake up with a massive balding crown fully on display. I also agree that being transparent post 3rd or 4th date is wise.  

If you're waking up with a girl then you're already in, aren't you? She likes you already. Some visible balding on the crown isn't going to be a problem at that point. There's really nothing to worry about. The best way to deal with hair loss in front of others is to own it; joke about it, make light of it. It's honestly fine - nothing bad will happen!

3 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

If you're waking up with a girl then you're already in, aren't you? She likes you already. Some visible balding on the crown isn't going to be a problem at that point. There's really nothing to worry about. The best way to deal with hair loss in front of others is to own it; joke about it, make light of it. It's honestly fine - nothing bad will happen!

Unclear  - since she disappeared after that second sleepover and ghosted me for a whole month before we both got forced under the same roof (got invited to a party by common friends) and she made up some nonsense about why she bailed but a part of me cannot help but wonder if this was the issue. By then, the extent of the balding was also much higher. Obviously, with the upcoming surgery, I am hoping it minimizes the extent to which I have to worry about situations like these because I was pretty devastated after this. A part of me also feels like the spray would have held things together. Obviously, had this gone a few more dates, I would have definitely told her about this. I would not hide it. I certainly did NOT hide it from the girl I dated prior to this one but she never saw the extent of the hair loss - since my hair line was largely ok. 

• Valued Contributor
3 minutes ago, WhamHair said:

Unclear  - since she disappeared after that second sleepover and ghosted me for a whole month before we both got forced under the same roof (got invited to a party by common friends) and she made up some nonsense about why she bailed but a part of me cannot help but wonder if this was the issue. By then, the extent of the balding was also much higher. Obviously, with the upcoming surgery, I am hoping it minimizes the extent to which I have to worry about situations like these because I was pretty devastated after this. A part of me also feels like the spray would have held things together. Obviously, had this gone a few more dates, I would have definitely told her about this. I would not hide it. I certainly did NOT hide it from the girl I dated prior to this one but she never saw the extent of the hair loss - since my hair line was largely ok. 

99.9% likely your hair was not the issue. That's just the realities of the dating game. She ghosted you after the second stay over... That's barely even dating at that point really. People get ghosted in those early stages all the time. 

3 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

99.9% likely your hair was not the issue. That's just the realities of the dating game. She ghosted you after the second stay over... That's barely even dating at that point really. People get ghosted in those early stages all the time. 

it was Date #5 though and it was going ABSURDLY well until then. Part of my reason for  HT is to take away that 0.1% chance that the hair was the issue. I would not have cared if it was someone I met on an app. It was a friend of a friend - and that's what made the situation awful. 

• Valued Contributor

When it comes to concealers, hair pieces and hair transplants, if you own it, you've won. I would be thinking about this in terms of what product makes me feel like I look best. Anything else is conjecture. I've been there with all these experiences and I am talking from my own lived experience. The benefit has also been that it has made other people, girlfriends feel at ease with their own insecurities and everyone has them. Real or imagined. All the best!

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 3/31/2024 at 4:52 PM, WhamHair said:

Yes that’s the one, except mine is scented. If you’re really that concerned use dermmatch and fibers combined. But this will ONLY work with dark pillow covers. 

View my thread

7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

When it comes to concealers, hair pieces and hair transplants, if you own it, you've won. I would be thinking about this in terms of what product makes me feel like I look best. Anything else is conjecture. I've been there with all these experiences and I am talking from my own lived experience. The benefit has also been that it has made other people, girlfriends feel at ease with their own insecurities and everyone has them. Real or imagined. All the best!

Hey Gatsby. So toppik has been a lifeline for me and I am really hoping I am in my last 2 months of having to use it regularly with my HT coming up this June. This has largely worked very well for me but nowadays, wind is my enemy and of course, when I sleep and wake up, my entire crown is visible. This was NOT the case a few years ago so I am just looking for something to address that part.

6 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Yes that’s the one, except mine is scented. If you’re really that concerned use dermmatch and fibers combined. But this will ONLY work with dark pillow covers. 

Thanks a ton Melvin. Very helpful - and yes, I switched to dark pillow covers years ago!!!