Am I a suitable candidate for 2 fue procedures

Hi all, I have been researching an fue procedure for over three years. I initially wanted one but decided to let my hair loss before I committed. 

Every clinic I have contacted have said that they can reach 80% coverage with two procedures. My problem is that I don't think I have enough donor area for two procedures, I can include beard hair in both procedures. 

I understand it's difficult to estimate the exact number as i've been told I have anywhere between 9000 and 5000 from different doctors.

I have attached a few photos below. I would genuinely appreciate honest answers. The red line going across the back of my head in one of the photos is just a temporary mark from "bed head". Thanks guys!

20200527_085520.thumb.jpg.7f569c2b6f2aaa8736464e3893961167.jpg20200527_085520.thumb.jpg.7f569c2b6f2aaa8736464e3893961167.jpg20200527_085622.thumb.jpg.b88b151403e9b2711cf07c5adc15c8d8.jpg20200527_085622.thumb.jpg.b88b151403e9b2711cf07c5adc15c8d8.jpg

20200527_085833.jpg

That’s quite a large area to cover and so yes it probably would take 3 procedures for a decent result.

As your aware the crown is considered the black hole for grafts so I’m guessing your planning for most of the grafts up front?

The last thing you want is the mothball effect for over FUE harvesting.

maybe get in the first procedure and see what the donor area is looking like after 12 months? Like you mentioned you can boost it with beard grafts too. 

Which clinics are you looking at? 

Edited by Johnboy71

Thank you the replies guys I appreciate it. I was told to let the hairloss stabilise before I could get a procedure. Im looking at dr erdogan and cinik in Turkey. Im a bit concerned that erdogan doesnt seem to do much of the procedures himself though. I think I'll go for 1 procedure the smp on the crown, then if I have enough donor I'll go for a 2nd procedure. 

20200531_190449.jpg

20200531_190408.jpg

Edited by Radiogaga

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, one of the clinics has advised me to grow my hair before they can make a decision as to whether I would have enough grafts to be considered a candidate for fue. I have noticed a second thinning area on the back of me head a couple of cms down from my crown. I'm looking for advice to see if people think these two areas will eventually join up. If this is the case my donor is really limited on the back of my head and I am probably won't be a suitable candidate for a fue transplant. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. At a bit of a crossroads here 😟20200611_092445.thumb.jpg.296f5f82b402b2c0131e3199ea009187.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Those two areas will eventually join up if you don't use Fin, putting you in NW7 territory.  It indicates that your scalp donor is pretty limited.  How's your body/beard hair situation?  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

10 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

Thanks Aaron, I appreciate the reply. My beard is fine, definitely suitable. I was told chest hair is not suitable though. I'm at a real crossroads as to whether or not to book this summer. Dr cinik said he can accommodate me but getting finesteride where I live is next to impossible.  

@Radiogaga In my opinion the area to be covered is too large and the donor area seems scarce, do not put much hope in the beard and body grafts, those, unlike the follicular units taken from the nape, are all a hair and do not give much coverage  , he recalls, often "it is better not to do than to do".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Egy said:

@Radiogaga In my opinion the area to be covered is too large and the donor area seems scarce, do not put much hope in the beard and body grafts, those, unlike the follicular units taken from the nape, are all a hair and do not give much coverage  , he recalls, often "it is better not to do than to do".

@egy I really appreciate the genuine feedback. I see a lot of hair transplants that are excellent and hope that could be me. All the clinics are saying I'll have 80%+ coverage. Better to make a decision on reality than hope. Thanks a lot, weird but I can't talk to my friends about it, thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Like 1

@Radiogaga You must know, however, that few are the ethical clinics, that is, those that reject patients because they know that they will not have a good result, many want only your money.

Another thing that some clinics "play on" are the terms, the words, they told you, I read that you will have 80% coverage, sure, sure, but the coverage they want to understand them, is how they implant you  the grafts, that is on 80% of the scalp, but at what density per cm / 2 few will tell you, so in the end, maybe you will find yourself, yes with 80% of the scalp covered, but with a hair here,  one there and they'll tell you they did what they told you.

Edited by Egy
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 1:58 PM, Radiogaga said:

Hi all, I have been researching an fue procedure for over three years. I initially wanted one but decided to let my hair loss before I committed. 

Every clinic I have contacted have said that they can reach 80% coverage with two procedures. My problem is that I don't think I have enough donor area for two procedures, I can include beard hair in both procedures. 

I understand it's difficult to estimate the exact number as i've been told I have anywhere between 9000 and 5000 from different doctors.

I have attached a few photos below. I would genuinely appreciate honest answers. The red line going across the back of my head in one of the photos is just a temporary mark from "bed head". Thanks guys!

20200527_085520.thumb.jpg.7f569c2b6f2aaa8736464e3893961167.jpg20200527_085520.thumb.jpg.7f569c2b6f2aaa8736464e3893961167.jpg20200527_085622.thumb.jpg.b88b151403e9b2711cf07c5adc15c8d8.jpg20200527_085622.thumb.jpg.b88b151403e9b2711cf07c5adc15c8d8.jpg

20200527_085833.jpg

Hello, 

You can have a full scalp coverage with a high hairline and a conservative approach. You could give your donor grafts from the beard as well.

It could be over two sittings. For the first sitting you could have your frontal half done and the rest in the second sitting.

Edited by Gabreille Nelson Mukhia
  • Like 1

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Valued Contributor

Radiogaga you have one thing at the moment that you haven't lost. That's a scalp without scars! Have you considered shaving your head first just to see how you travel with it? I have horrible scars not only at the back donor area but at the frontal hairline also. Be very specific with yourself in what you expect in terms of results. With scalp and beard hair (forget body hair) you can get more coverage than scalp alone, however you want to have an assessment on how how much coverage is possible? Will you only have enough to cover up to the vertex? Are you ok with leaving the crown area bald?, etc. You need a surgeon who specializes in grade 6/7 hair transplantation. Personally I wouldn't touch Turkey whatever your hair loss is. Have a look at Eugenix and members of this forum like Paddy and Zoomster who had work done around Christmas 2019.

The most important thing is to have a game plan that both you and your hair transplant surgeon are on the same page with. It would be futile to agree to have one procedure and pending on how it turns out to have a second procedure. If after the first procedure you are unable to have a second procedure you will be left marooned! Would you be ok with that? Do lots of research into hair transplant surgeons who have done loads of Norwood 6/7 patients that have consistent results with a result you would be happy with. All the best!

Edited by Gatsby
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I don't see in here anywhere about you trying meds or that you are against them, and how old you are. Seeing your pics I wouldn't wait for stabilizing.

Like @aaron1234 said, finasteride -definitely get on that to restore the hairs that are still salvageable and help protect the remaining ones. And start minoxidil to optimize blood flow/nutrients to your follicles and extend their growth cycle times so you have more of your hairs growing and visible at the same time to maximize your coverage/density. Then after about another 6-12 months get back with the doctors for re-evaluation.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Hi all, apologies for digging up an old thread. I just wanted to demonstrate a comparison of my situation to this time last year. Do you guys think it has worsened? 

Current situation is that one clinic in turkey and Dr Feriduni have concluded that I am not a suitable candidate. 4 clinics in Turkey, another in Belgium and one in Cyprus have told me I am. One of the clinics in Turkey have told me to avoid getting smp until I have 2 procedure. My crown is basically a black hole now. 

Thank you to those who contributed to the thread so far. Reality is a better mindset than unrealistic want. I would consider topical finestaride but monoxidil had 0% impact on my hairloss. Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thank you.

20210529_132951.jpg

20210529_133009.jpg

20210529_133001.jpg

20210529_132954.jpg

20210529_132957.jpg

• Valued Contributor

Just being honest. I'm not a doctor but I don't think you are a candidate for a hair transplant. You really need to be able to take finasteride for up to two years to see it's full beneficial effect on your donor hair and then stay on it for life if considering surgery. I'd like to think that I am wrong but going by your pics the sides appear thin in your scalp. I believe without the benefit of finasteride, etc having a hair transplant would leave you worse off. What are your expectations from surgery?

• Like 1

I don’t think your a suitable candidate, sorry 😞 but I would listen to the clinics saying your not. Other clinics may suggest you are but I don’t think they are acting in your best interests.

With a Norwood 7 pattern and a not very strong donor area you will really struggle to get any kind of coverage without really thinning out/over harvesting. 

@Gatsbyhas given some really good advice concerning Fin. 

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor

John has raised an excellent point here. If a clinic (and a good one at that) tells you that you are not a good candidate then that is worth gold. Many clinics, especially in Turkey, will just want your money. Take it as dodging a bullet as a 'potential' result that you may live to regret. Once you are cut you can never go back. Have you considered other options such as SMP, etc?

• Like 3

Thanks for the honest replies, genuinely appreciate it. Tbh I would accept relatively thin hair on top and smp the crown but I haven't really seen good results with this mixed approach. Although the link JohnAC71 posted shows excellent work. So i'm going to look into that also.

My doctor wouldn't prescribe fin as he said the risk/reward was not worth it. I know it's worked successfully for loads in here. Anyway, again thank you all for taking the time out to reply.

I'll have a full head of hair when i'm 80 and haircloning is successfully implemented. 

• Like 3

• Valued Contributor
50 minutes ago, Radiogaga said:

Thanks for the honest replies, genuinely appreciate it. Tbh I would accept relatively thin hair on top and smp the crown but I haven't really seen good results with this mixed approach. Although the link JohnAC71 posted shows excellent work. So i'm going to look into that also.

My doctor wouldn't prescribe fin as he said the risk/reward was not worth it. I know it's worked successfully for loads in here. Anyway, again thank you all for taking the time out to reply.

I'll have a full head of hair when i'm 80 and haircloning is successfully implemented. 

When it comes to hair and SMP, it only works when there is a significant amount of hair. That's where SMP on the scalp aids in casting a shadow below which gives the illusion of a denser appearance. SMP on it's own (say in the crown) and transplanted hair in the vertex and frontal third will only highlight that one has exactly that! SMP AND a transplant! Another suggestion that has been created (by Dr Bhatti a year or so ago among others) is to have a 'light' FUE and then a year after it has healed have SMP. The premise being that when cut down to a number two or three guard, the sparse transplanted hair will be given a 'density augmentation' to give a '3D' effect. However it just doesn't work that way in reality at such a short length with a sparse hair transplant. You will end up looking just like that also. Spaced out grafts on your top scalp with SMP underneath! Trust me! I have looked at all the angles and options when it comes to this sort of thing. Having the scars that I do it's always been in my best interests to see what is available. I've seen the results first hand and none of these pass mustard!

• Like 4

Hey mate,

don’t know if you’ve made your decision yet but I have an almost identical situation as yours, complete with the little section at the back where no hair grows. I had a consultation with a surgery in India before COVID and also one in Bahrain. The Indian surgeon said I’d get full coverage with some beard hair. The Bahraini said I could get some coverage with my donor area. An estimate would be placing four fingers from my hairline. She also advised against beard hair transplant. As disappointing as this was to hear, I am now glad that she didn’t just promise me results and was open and honest. 

Sometimes it may not be what you WANT to hear but it is what you NEED to hear and it takes time to come to terms as we have dreams of being the next success story on here. 

Anyways, I’m now exploring SMP but it is very daunting and there are lots of conflicting stories out there. 

best of luck to you. Pm me and I can send you details of whom I’ve seen and also pics

Edited by Packardbell1603
  • Like 1

Do not get a hair transplant.  It will be the worst decision you ever make.  You do not have a strong donor and are essentially a norwood 7.  Even if you transplant every follicle from your donor you wont have enough hair to cover the recipient site.  

• Like 3