And if you have to go bathroom during surgery?

Okay, this sounds trivial but it isn't. Surgeries can last 9 hours, especially if you're doing body hair. I would undoubtedly have to urinate a few times during the 9 hours. Is this a problem?

I remember my first surgery, this was about 35 years ago. I had to go and the doctor acted like this was a major problem. He tried to dissuade me. He finally put a protective bandage over my head and I went to the bathroom.

How do doctors deal with this issue today?

They will insert a catheter, or put a diaper on you - it all Depends.  Just kidding, forget about the 4 cups of coffee before you go.  Mine lasted 10 hours and they did break for lunch.  In certain situations I can go long periods like during the operation, or even when i am driving long distances.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Moderators

My first hair transplant was 31 years ago, so I know what you mean. Back in those days the punch sizes were much larger, so they would have to bandage your entire head before you went home. Then you go back the next day to remove the bandage, clean the area, and replace it with a new bandage that you remove yourself at home.  So yeah when you had to go to the bathroom it was a problem and they had to do a quick temporary bandage, so you wouldn't bleed all over.

These days the punch sizes are so small that there's very little bleeding and it's not a problem to take a few breaks whenever you need to. You'll even get a lunch break. Where I go they let you order from a takeout menu before the operation starts and then they order it later and when it comes everyone takes a lunch break. Dr Dorin usually has a consultation scheduled either late morning or early afternoon, so they basically put in one of the bathroom breaks or lunch break at that time, so he can do the consultation plus give his fingers a break from doing the extractions as well. Breaks are really not an issue in todays hair transplants.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

Behappy is pretty dead on. Nowadays it’s no big deal. In fact, it’s pretty comfortable and relaxing for me, I fell asleep for most of the procedure, and whenever I had to pee, I just told them I have to pee and they’d stop and let me use the restroom, which was conveniently across the hall. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for the replies. BeHappy, yes, that was my experience, too. I'm glad it's better now. I just wonder if the grafts, if some have already been inserted into the recipient area, are firmly enough in there that they won't fall out when I go to the bathroom. And I hope I don't feel faint from loss of blood and maybe fall down!

Edited by Pangloss

I had to urinate at all 4 of my HT procedures and it was not an issue at all...the techs just put a gauze covering over your head and tell you to wash your hands afterwards...😀

Many clinics have a bathroom right down the hall from the OR rooms so hopefully you won't have to go far to relieve yourself.

Edited by gillenator

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

My pee rate climbs with my anxiety rate. So my last couple of HTs I was going approx every hour.

They can and will stop at anytime you need. Luckily I have never needed a number 2 that would be a whole different experience.

You just have to take extra care not to bang your head, ok I could worded that better.

Edited by Johnboy71