How many grafts would this need?

First of all I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but this seemed to be the most appropriate one. I am a 27 year old male and I have diffused thinning all over and recession on the temples. The thinning isn't so bad when my hair is grown out but the temples (moreso the left temple) are bare. I believe that I have stabilized the loss over the past year with topical min/fin. I am now interested in getting a transplant to fill in the temples / strengthen the hairline. How many grafts do you think would be required to fill in the hairline? Also, do you think any grafts would be required in the crown area?

Thank you for your time.

Spazy

May 2020 Left temple.jpg

May 2020 Right Temple.jpg

20200519_163309.jpg

Edited by spazy

Hey man

IMHO, I don’t think it looks too bad, my hair loss started similarly to yours at your age, so I wouldn’t stick to believing that’s is totally stabilized as mine hadn’t. My advice would be give it another year or 2 to see if it worsens and in the mean time stick to your topical and add Nizoral shampoo 1-2x a week + microneedling with a roller or Derma pen for at least an additional 6 months to see if it improves your situation. But to answer your question, I looks like you’d need 1,000-1,200 grafts to shore up your receding temples.

Edited by CosmoKramer
  • Like 1

The crown doesnt look bad enough yet to make a real difference.

Up front maybe 1500, possibly up to 2000.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

43 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Hey man

IMHO, I don’t think it looks too bad, my hair loss started similarly to yours at your age, so I wouldn’t stick to believing that’s is totally stabilized as mine hadn’t. My advice would be give it another year or 2 to see if it worsens and in the mean time stick to your topical and add Nizoral shampoo 1-2x a week + microneedling with a roller or Derma pen for at least an additional 6 months to see if it improves your situation. But to answer your question, I looks like you’d need 1,000-1,200 grafts to shore up your receding temples.

Thanks for the reply, my hair loss actually started at 19 and it's been steadily progressing. I tried finasteride for a few weeks when I was 23 but had sides and stopped. Finally the thinning got so noticeable that I tried a topical format and didn't have sides. I've taken comparison photos which I've attached, they're from 12 months ago, which is when I started treatment with topical min/fin. I don't know if there's been improvements in the last year but it doesn't appear to have gotten worse. 

Anywho thank you guys for the estimates on my grafts needed. I am really in no rush to get a transplant so I will probably give it another year of treatment to see where I stand. Thank you again. 

June 2019 Right Temple.jpg

May 2019 Left Temple.jpg

Edited by spazy

28 minutes ago, spazy said:

Thanks for the reply, my hair loss actually started at 19 and it's been steadily progressing. I tried finasteride for a few weeks when I was 23 but had sides and stopped. Finally the thinning got so noticeable that I tried a topical format and didn't have sides. I've taken comparison photos which I've attached, they're from 12 months ago, which is when I started treatment with topical min/fin. I don't know if there's been improvements in the last year but it doesn't appear to have gotten worse. 

Anywho thank you guys for the estimates on my grafts needed. I am really in no rush to get a transplant so I will probably give it another year of treatment to see where I stand. Thank you again. 

May 2019 Left Temple.jpg

You’re welcome!

I do see a slight improvement in your 1st post from these photos so stick to it, even if you don’t gain much back you’ll retain what you have.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:28 PM, spazy said:

May 2019 Left Temple.jpg

What type of topical fin do you use, and where do you obtain it? 

Based upon these limited photos, it does appear to be helping. 

• Administrators

Personally, I think you should hold off and surgery and give the meds more time. You definitely have a lot of hair, which means higher risk of shock loss. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 2:22 AM, yesplease said:

What type of topical fin do you use, and where do you obtain it? 

Based upon these limited photos, it does appear to be helping. 

Sorry for late response, I haven't been on the site in a while. I use Morr-F and I get it from Ebay. Make sure the seller is reputable before purchasing from them. 

On 5/27/2020 at 11:57 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Personally, I think you should hold off and surgery and give the meds more time. You definitely have a lot of hair, which means higher risk of shock loss. 

Thanks, I am going to give it another year and reevaluate then. 

• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, UnbaldEagle said:

Bumping this thread, just curious if you've given surgery some more thought or already underwent one or had some great results from treatment alone. 😁

Hey, so basically what's happened since I made this thread is I had a massive shed (100+ hairs in the shower/blowdrying every morning) that lasted 4-5 months, and it got to the point where I was doubting the legitimacy of the product I was using (Morr-F from ebay). I decided to switch to oral fin prescribed by a doctor, and my shedding seems to have come to a complete halt. I now only shed around 5-30 hairs in the morning. I'm not sure if this was just a cyclical shed or what. I am still using a bit of Morr-F at night in combination with the oral fin. At the moment my hair seems to be in the same state that it was 2 years ago, and so I'm pretty confident that I will be able to maintain with fin for the foreseeable future. 

Anyway, my current plan is to go to Mexico this summer for an FUE procedure with the Dr. Cortez brothers at Hair Medical Restoration. They quoted me 1600 grafts to fix up the frontal portion @ $3 CAD per graft all in. I don't really trust the budget clinics here in Canada and the quality ones are way out of my price range. I also don't want to travel all the way to Turkey, and so Mexico is a nice compromise for quality and convenience. 

Edited by spazy

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 5:14 PM, spazy said:

Hey, so basically what's happened since I made this thread is I had a massive shed (100+ hairs in the shower/blowdrying every morning) that lasted 4-5 months, and it got to the point where I was doubting the legitimacy of the product I was using (Morr-F from ebay). I decided to switch to oral fin prescribed by a doctor, and my shedding seems to have come to a complete halt. I now only shed around 5-30 hairs in the morning. I'm not sure if this was just a cyclical shed or what. I am still using a bit of Morr-F at night in combination with the oral fin. At the moment my hair seems to be in the same state that it was 2 years ago, and so I'm pretty confident that I will be able to maintain with fin for the foreseeable future. 

Anyway, my current plan is to go to Mexico this summer for an FUE procedure with the Dr. Cortez brothers at Hair Medical Restoration. They quoted me 1600 grafts to fix up the frontal portion @ $3 CAD per graft all in. I don't really trust the budget clinics here in Canada and the quality ones are way out of my price range. I also don't want to travel all the way to Turkey, and so Mexico is a nice compromise for quality and convenience. 

If they can fix yours with 1600 grafts then that’s great I posted my thread and ppl here were saying 1800 grafts and my temples are slightly less bad I’ve seen hmr patients on YT get excellent results so I expect you’ll get a great result aswell

On 1/12/2021 at 8:14 PM, spazy said:

@spazyI am in Canada as well and like you don't trust the budget clinics. How did you find about Dr.Cortez brothers and how is their experience? 

I will search online but wanted to get first hand info about them as well.

13 hours ago, n58 said:

@spazyI am in Canada as well and like you don't trust the budget clinics. How did you find about Dr.Cortez brothers and how is their experience? 

I will search online but wanted to get first hand info about them as well.

There are lots of personal experiences shared on youtube, that's basically how I found out. Just search up Hair medical restoration or Dr cortez hair transplant, and you'll find them.