This is far more common than you think. Kinky, as most doctors call it, will eventually resume it's normal characteristic. And you can help it along by using a texturing agent and by styling.  

Its been two years .transplanted hair is still coarse and curly..how many years more vl have to wait for it to become normal?..styling and using chemical product vl damage my hair..Is there any  permanent solution available or have to live with this lifelong?

• Moderators

Use a conditioner when you take a shower. Let it stay in your hair for a few minutes.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

At at about the 4-5 months of my first transplant my transplants were curly, and actually it looked pretty good.  Within a few months they turned into a soft wave which was more typical for me.  This did not happen with the 2nd transplant.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

I thought there was some type of topical hair straightener that can be used to make the hair straight...there are also heat based straighteners that are hand held however the hair length needs to be long enough to fit in the instrument...the hair is then pulled through while the heat is applied...ask about this from your local hair salon...they will be able to help you with this issue.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 5/23/2020 at 7:02 AM, munich said:

My hair transplantation was 2 years ago and my hair is still curly. My whole donor area has straight hair. Could it be because of the angle of the incisions?

No, very doubtful it would be from the incisions however when the new hair shafts are making their way through the scalp surface, they can potentially develop a wave or even some curl as they grow through the surface and this can occur more often than we might think...it varies as to how long it will take for the new hair growth to resume its original characteristics.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:30 AM, transplantedphil said:

I asked one doctor about it and they believed it had to do with the larger size of the incisions (i.e. more common than not with pre-made openings); the scar which forms around the hair follicle early on during the healing process creates a tight grip which somehow changes the morphology of the skin surface. Thus a "kink" is formed. Relaxation of this grip should (hopefully) occur over time. 

I agree as the skin is very elastic and will relax over time.

Gillenator

On 5/23/2020 at 4:02 AM, munich said:

My hair transplantation was 2 years ago and my hair is still curly. My whole donor area has straight hair. Could it be because of the angle of the incisions?

I’m not an expert on this, however I believe short term textural changes are common. I asked my doctor about long term textural changes and he said that is more common when grafts are subject to trauma.

Very interesting indeed.

Gillenator

Time and patience.

Gillenator

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2020 at 7:30 PM, LaserCap said:

This is far more common than you think. Kinky, as most doctors call it, will eventually resume it's normal characteristic. And you can help it along by using a texturing agent and by styling.  

Can i apply chemical straightening on transplanted hair for long time till it becomes normal?

On 6/5/2020 at 10:50 AM, Java77 said:

Can i apply shampoo and conditioner on transplanted hair daily?

sure you can.

Gillenator

On 7/21/2020 at 7:18 PM, LaserCap said:

Sure.  But don't over do it.  This can damage the hair and get into other issues.

Actually my front 2 and grade transplanted hair is curly and back natural hairline is receding hair..so transplanted curly hair also not getting support ..and looking weird and unmanageble. Even chemical cant make it straight ...have to use flat iron as well when becomes curly..is it OK?

On 7/21/2020 at 12:28 PM, Java77 said:

Can i apply chemical straightening on transplanted hair for long time till it becomes normal?

Which products do you mean? Any link?

Why not just use a flattening iron...no chemicals involved.

Gillenator

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2020 at 3:15 AM, gillenator said:

Why not just use a flattening iron...no chemicals involved

On 6/4/2020 at 2:40 AM, gillenator said:

Time and patience.

my  transplanted hair not getting support from exsiting hair behind told by doctor but i observed it is getting curved or curl on transplanted hair itself.so is it not getting support from transplanted hair itself because of curl?